• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The FIFA Debacle

We have admitted to buying presents, giving someone a job, hosting training, paying for banquets......we aint Lily White

And whilst I am no defender of the FA (my thoughts are well documented on these boards) they did everything within the rules. Even asking FIFA for permission so they could do all of the things you have stated. It is not a good process but that is not the argument the ill informed poster was making.

What the FA did not do is pay for votes.

And whilst I am no defender of the FA (my thoughts are well documented on these boards) they did everything within the rules. Even asking FIFA for permission so they could do all of the things you have stated. It is not a good process but that is not the argument the ill informed poster was making.

What the FA did not do is pay for votes.

I agree we asked permission, but the whole idea of these stink

I also agree we did not pay for votes and therein lies the problem........time to disband FIFA and put Blatter in jail

Individuals involved in England's bid could now face action following the conclusion of the two-year inquiry, which was led by American lawyer Michael Garcia.

Fifa's report, which also looks at the conduct of other bidding nations for both the 2018 and 2022 World Cups, makes a number of damaging points about the conduct of England officials.

In particular, it says England's bid team tried to win the support of Warner, who is from Trinidad & Tobago, by:

Trying to help "a person of interest to him" find a part time job in the United KingdomLetting the Trinidad and Tobago Under-20 squad hold a training camp in the UK in the summer of 2009Sponsoring a gala dinner for the Caribbean Football Union, at a cost of $55,000, around £35,000

In the 42-page report, Hans-Joachim Eckert, Fifa's independent ethics adjudicator, writes that England's bid team "showed a willingness, time and again" to meet Warner's expectations.

By doing so, it damaged "the image of Fifa and the bidding process".

FIFA's version( which of course is a joke)

But paying money to buy influence, is paying to try to influence votes. That is how you win the vote. Of course it stinks. Were we less corrupt? Yes we were. But we still tried to buy influence.Would we be complaining, if we had won? I don't think so.

Individuals involved in England's bid could now face action following the conclusion of the two-year inquiry, which was led by American lawyer Michael Garcia.

Fifa's report, which also looks at the conduct of other bidding nations for both the 2018 and 2022 World Cups, makes a number of damaging points about the conduct of England officials.

In particular, it says England's bid team tried to win the support of Warner, who is from Trinidad & Tobago, by:

Trying to help "a person of interest to him" find a part time job in the United KingdomLetting the Trinidad and Tobago Under-20 squad hold a training camp in the UK in the summer of 2009Sponsoring a gala dinner for the Caribbean Football Union, at a cost of $55,000, around £35,000

In the 42-page report, Hans-Joachim Eckert, Fifa's independent ethics adjudicator, writes that England's bid team "showed a willingness, time and again" to meet Warner's expectations.

By doing so, it damaged "the image of Fifa and the bidding process".

FIFA's version( which of course is a joke)

But paying money to buy influence, is paying to try to influence votes. That is how you win the vote. Of course it stinks. Were we less corrupt? Yes we were. But we still tried to buy influence.Would we be complaining, if we had won? I don't think so.

You are buying FIFAs portrayal of the report. Garcia has not only distanced himself from the published FIFA account but is actively challenging their "findings". Who do you want to believe...Garcia or Blatter and FIFA?

I am not convinced about David Bernstein's suggestion that England boycott the 2018 world cup. Firstly, I doubt that many other countries would join us. And secondly, the financial implications of any boycott would have an effect on grass roots football.

I am not convinced about David Bernstein's suggestion that England boycott the 2018 world cup. Firstly, I doubt that many other countries would join us. And secondly, the financial implications of any boycott would have an effect on grass roots football.

I'd have been up for boycotting it anyway purely on the basis of Putin, racism and homophobia. The actions of FIFA are just another good reason to withdraw. The FA making a stand on this would mean more (to me at least) than any tournament win.

Sorry Frank, but with the current apathy surrounding the national team, i don't think missing a world cup would affect the premier league one iota.

Germany's stance about FIFA shows that there is a bit of support there. Grassroots can survive without dirty FIFA money.

You are buying FIFAs portrayal of the report. Garcia has not only distanced himself from the published FIFA account but is actively challenging their "findings". Who do you want to believe...Garcia or Blatter and FIFA?

Sorry, but I thought I made it quite clear that I blame FIFA. The only way to win was to buy votes. We did try to buy votes. It is just that we didn't pay enough to win.

Germany's stance about FIFA shows that there is a bit of support there. Grassroots can survive without dirty FIFA money.

The FA's finances would be dealt a huge blow without the revenue from a world cup tournament. If there was a boycott of the 2018 world cup, then I would expect a rival tournament to be held.

The FA's finances would be dealt a huge blow without the revenue from a world cup tournament. If there was a boycott of the 2018 world cup, then I would expect a rival tournament to be held.

That's the problem right there, everybody's got something to lose because they're all in it up to their necks. If it wasn't for the crusade being waged by our press then you can bet that the FA would still be thick as thieves with the corrupt weasels at FIFA. As it is they're trying to claim the moral high ground, but I wouldn't trust them (or UEFA for that matter) to run the game in a benevolant and equitable manner.

FIFA lodges criminal complaint over World Cup row

World governing body Fifa says it has lodged a criminal complaint over the "possible misconduct of individual persons" during the bidding process for the 2018 and 2022 World Cups.

"Unlike Fifa's bodies, the Swiss criminal prosecution authorities have the ability to conduct investigations under application of criminal procedural coercive measures," adds the world governing body's statement.
Fifa lodges criminal complaint over World Cup row

Football
Posted at 16:02
Fifa statement: "There seem to be grounds for suspicion that, in isolated cases, international transfers of assets with connections to Switzerland took place, which merit examination by the criminal prosecution authorities."

Garcia and Ekart agree to provide the full report.......

To Scala.....of the FIFA Compliance unit

I kid you not.....

Surely the serious fraud squad, and indeed the FBI, have better uses of their funding?

Back