• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Football News Thread 2016/17 - everything not Wolves

Status
Not open for further replies.
The ones that most interest me are "a"clearer and more consistent definition" of handball", whatever that might be...

"the referee can award a goal if a player stops a goal being scored by handling on or close to the goal-line". Very sensible imo, especially if they change penalties, akin to a penalty try in Rugby.

And "passing to yourself at a free-kick, corner and goal-kick". I play hockey, and this got introduced a few years back and I can see the benefits of it being in football.

The only captains being allowed to talk to the ref thing I see being trialled, but unfortunately quickly dropped as unworkable.

The change to 60 minutes I see facing huge opposition.

Whoever dreams up some of these possible changes must have a lot of spare time on their hands. Most would be unworkable and make the referees job even more difficult.

Thirty minute halves?

Awarding a goal even if the ball hasn't crossed the line would mean a radical change to the laws of the game.

What is meant by a clearer and more consistent definition of handball? It will still be a decision made by the referee based on his opinion, so there are bound to be some inconsistencies.

Allowing a player to touch the ball more than once in a dead ball situation could lead to chaos in certain situations, such as free kicks on the edge of the penalty area. If players are going to be allowed to do that, then defenders cannot be expected to stand ten yards away.

I quite like the 30 minute half idea. It's much fairer than the way things are at the moment - every game, all would have the same amount of football played. Nowhere near enough stoppage time gets added at the moment.

I think the hand ball thing - just needs to be, if it's hit your hand, it's a foul. Simple as that. Not all fouls are deliberate, but they're still punished, hand balls should be the same

I quite like the 30 minute half idea. It's much fairer than the way things are at the moment - every game, all would have the same amount of football played. Nowhere near enough stoppage time gets added at the moment.

I think the hand ball thing - just needs to be, if it's hit your hand, it's a foul. Simple as that. Not all fouls are deliberate, but they're still punished, hand balls should be the same

I agree that far too much time is wasted at the moment, but I am not sure how the proposal would work. Would the referee stop his watch every time the ball was not in play? Or would there be clocks around the stadiums showing how long has been played?

Handball is probably the most discussed item at referee association meetings. I think it would be harsh to punish a player when the ball hits his hand from a few yards away, and he can do nothing about it. Referees should look for arm movement, that would be sufficient to award a free kick, but it is a difficult one.

Celtic get Linfield in the Champions League. Linfield vs Celtic on the 12th of July in Belfast. What could go wrong?

Linfield have to beat some team from San Marino first then the fun and games can start.

In the Europa League

St Johnstone v FC Trakai
Bala Town v FC Vaduz
Connah's Quay Nomads v HJK Helsinki
Rangers v Progres Niederkorn
Lyngby BK v Bangor City

Also Mourinho has been accused of Tax fraud from his time at Real Madrid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back