• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Football News Thread 2020/21

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure I fully agree TT. VAR can only slow the game down and reduce the spontaneity.

I also think its hard to argue that bad decisions have lead to really good games/iconic moments in football.

Either way, we are all agreed that our refs are dreadful and there is no chance of implementing any improvement to VAR (as I'm sure its never going away) without sorting the ref standard in the Pl first.
I was completely against VAR before it was introduced and would still prefer to not have it all versus the version we have today. Then you see things like the penalty Newport conceded in the second half of extra time on Monday to lose out on promotion- probably a dive and definitely outside the area and you think there is room for an element of fairness.

Get rid of the fractional offsides - take a look if it's not obviously off then let it go. You could do that while the players are still celebrating

Look at things in real speed as well as slow motion - stop trying to find things like the West Ham sending off for kicking someone on his follow through or fouls which look late or high when slowed down.

Put handball back to common sense and deliberate. No, is it above or below the shirt line? no did it clip his little finger before he scored? No his arm wasn't completely by his side so it's a penalty even though the ball was belted at him from a yard away. Instinctively people know what's a handball and what isn't.

I was in favour of VAR to help address massive, blatant injustices (or off the ball incidents for example) and try and take some pressure of referees.

What we have is them scrutinising so many things. The experience in the ground for fans is clearly impacted too. I was at Southampton away and even though it gave us a penalty (most obvious penalty ever, despite what Hassenhutl said at the time) and we still chanted fuckVAR after.

I would happily scrap it all now though. ILeave goal line technology in though.

Keep it but with 2 appeals per side per game. Every on field decision stays the same unless there is proof that the decision is wrong,

Blow both appeals for no reason and then lose to a last minute penalty that was outside the area - tough shit.

I was completely against VAR before it was introduced and would still prefer to not have it all versus the version we have today. Then you see things like the penalty Newport conceded in the second half of extra time on Monday to lose out on promotion- probably a dive and definitely outside the area and you think there is room for an element of fairness.

Get rid of the fractional offsides - take a look if it's not obviously off then let it go. You could do that while the players are still celebrating

Look at things in real speed as well as slow motion - stop trying to find things like the West Ham sending off for kicking someone on his follow through or fouls which look late or high when slowed down.

Put handball back to common sense and deliberate. No, is it above or below the shirt line? no did it clip his little finger before he scored? No his arm wasn't completely by his side so it's a penalty even though the ball was belted at him from a yard away. Instinctively people know what's a handball and what isn't.

All suggestions I'd agree with - but the problem with a common sense approach is that it will inevitably lead to accusations of inconsistency and/or bias

All suggestions I'd agree with - but the problem with a common sense approach is that it will inevitably lead to accusations of inconsistency and/or bias
Exactly, Southampton away it seemed a stone wall penalty to us but the commentators were saying it was harsh and maybe shouldn't have been.

I would fuck VAR off yesterday but if it is to stay, I would favour ex pros who know/understand the nuances of the game having input at Stockley Park rather than Riley's foot soldiers and cronies. And put Peter Walton in a home

I would fuck VAR off yesterday but if it is to stay, I would favour ex pros who know/understand the nuances of the game having input at Stockley Park rather than Riley's foot soldiers and cronies. And put Peter Walton in dignitas

FIFY.

Keep it but with 2 appeals per side per game. Every on field decision stays the same unless there is proof that the decision is wrong,

Blow both appeals for no reason and then lose to a last minute penalty that was outside the area - tough shit.
Who are you appealing to?

The ref says no pen, VAR encourage him to have another look. He decides it is one, the opposition manager looks at a replay or is told by his staff that it still seems dodgy, so they challenge it. Do you really see VAR overturning that after they encouraged the ref to have another look?

Or VAR gives a subjective handball penalty after the ref didn't spot it. Who looks at the appeal? VAR ref isn't going to change his mind is he.

The ref says no pen, VAR encourage him to have another look. He decides it is one, the opposition manager looks at a replay or is told by his staff that it still seems dodgy, so they challenge it. Do you really see VAR overturning that after they encouraged the ref to have another look?

Or VAR gives a subjective handball penalty after the ref didn't spot it. Who looks at the appeal? VAR ref isn't going to change his mind is he.
In the appeals scenario VAR wouldn't make any of the overturning decisions of the ref. They'd only be there for the appeal

I think the suggestion is VAR only intervenes at the request of the captain/manager who have two appeals per game when the on field official misses something.

Got it. I think that'd be worse than what we have tbh. You'll have benches crowded around ipads trying to watch replays while the game is going on. What time limit do you give them?

I think it'd slow the game down more, particularly in the last 10 minutes if they've not been used and the chances are you'd gamble on most goals conceded if offside is still all about the lines

I think it'd slow the game down more, particularly in the last 10 minutes if they've not been used and the chances are you'd gamble on most goals conceded if offside is still all about the lines

Likewise a last minute pen you'd use it to knock the taker off their focus etc.

My preference is to fully remove VAR, it's a blight on the game. This isn't going to happen though so that leads me to think the best solution is:

Any VAR review lasts a maximum of 30 seconds, no slow motion replays, and offside is judged by the eye and not lines drawn across the pitch.

This would remove obvious mistakes and reduce the time taken whilst increasing the spontaneity that has clearly been damaged by the current version of VAR.

Whilst it leaves grey areas that the media and fans will overanalyse it will, it broad terms, remove major mistakes and reduce the torture of checking if Podence has part of a blurry arm offside.

Cahill, Clyne, Dann, McCarthy, Sakho, Townsend, PVA and Ward were either regular starters or certainly in the 18.

And the players they still have at the back aren’t exactly super reliable injury wise or spring chickens (Kelly, Tomkins). Then in midfield they’ve got Milivojevic and McArthur.

Turnover of players going to be insane.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back