• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Football News Thread 2022/23

Status
Not open for further replies.
Plus he then put in another bit, presumably £15m, so only got back what he put in? As I recall, but happy to be corrected.
(Albeit he still made money from Redrow building the new training facilities and North Bank).
I hope this is a joke.

Always thankful that either him or moxey did the due diligence and didn't sell us to some chancer like dr Tony at the villa

I hope this is a joke.
That is what I thought happened, but I'm a non local filthy casual (tourist?) so may not have got it right.
As I said, happy to be corrected.

Redrow build houses, they had nothing to do with the Stand and the training ground, just put up some houses at compton.

My apologies, I had some vague recollection that he had profited from some Wolves related construction.
Will leave off posting about Wolves and go back to stinking up PTG instead...

Messrs morgan and Moxey are rumoured to be one of the parties interested in buying Derby I believe.

My Derby supporting Mrs was full of horror when I mentioned Moxey as she remembers my opinion of him but I did say that given the position that they (Derby) are currently in, they could do a lot worse than the 2 Ms

I'd be very surprised if Steve Morgan (70 this year) wanted to get back into football. It brought him very little joy before and it's nearly 15 years since he bought us.

You can't make money out of Derby County at present so why would he care?

My apologies, I had some vague recollection that he had profited from some Wolves related construction.
Will leave off posting about Wolves and go back to stinking up PTG instead...
It's amazing how many times I see this being confused, don't worry I know jaff all about football 🤣🤣🤣

Our fans fervently believed it. That Morgan had bought us to get land on the cheap and make money in the process. Yeah, of course. On a housing estate on the outskirts of Wolverhampton. I would definitely pay £30m up front and add to that over the course of years all for those exclusive rights. That all adds up.

I remember us having "Scouse Mafia Out" banners in the South Bank, our fans are fucking idiots for the most part.

Our fans fervently believed it. That Morgan had bought us to get land on the cheap and make money in the process. Yeah, of course. On a housing estate on the outskirts of Wolverhampton. I would definitely pay £30m up front and add to that over the course of years all for those exclusive rights. That all adds up.

I remember us having "Scouse Mafia Out" banners in the South Bank, our fans are fucking idiots for the most part.
I'm fairly sure Redrow did buy the land that the University sat on in Compton and the land from the two schools for the training ground. I doubt he does that without help from the council which will no doubt have leverage from owning the club.

I'm fairly sure he didn't buy the club to buy that land though.

People are kidding themselves if they think he didn't make money out of owning Wolves, directly or indirectly.

Seems a lot of effort for very little yield. Could have put £45m into a Government bond and made more money than that over close to a decade, and Government bonds don't spit at your wife and call you a cunt.

The Compton development was a win for everyone, apart from maybe some NIMBYs.

Wasn't it something like a college moved into a newer facility elsewhere in the City, the neighbouring school (St. Peters?) moved across to the college site and that gave space for Wolves to expand the training facilities?

So two educational establishments got improved facilities, the club got a bigger/better training ground and then Redrow through up a few houses on the balance of the land. The last part doesn't happen without the preceding bit so that's a boon for Morgan's business interests but it was at no detriment to anyone else so who cares?

I'm not sure Morgan had control of redrow when he bought Wolves, mind he executed one of the best ever excercises in sell high, buy low. The idea he bought Wolves to make money out of them through building deals is laughable.

Not sure who owned the land but the redrow estate was built on the old grounds of the University campus, St Edmunds was moved to the old Uni buildings and extended (think this was a section 106) and the new training facility was built on the old St edmunds. The training ground was punted around the regional contractors when pencils were still very sharp.

I have no idea who owned what or made what, redrow would have made a few quid, but then they contributed towards the redevelopment of a secondary school (I believe) It would have helped things to stack up but in no way did Morgan use his building cronies to prosper out of Wolves.

I know for a fact that the contractor building the North Bank caught a cold on the job surrounding the steel price going up (amongst other things)

It's idiot talk that Morgan was making money out of building at wolves, other than a (relatively) small development contributing to redrows turnover, of which he'd draw down dividends on annual profits from the group.

Morgan contributed a fair bit to the town with the Way and what not and gets very little credit for it.

The Compton development was a win for everyone, apart from maybe some NIMBYs.

Wasn't it something like a college moved into a newer facility elsewhere in the City, the neighbouring school (St. Peters?) moved across to the college site and that gave space for Wolves to expand the training facilities?

So two educational establishments got improved facilities, the club got a bigger/better training ground and then Redrow through up a few houses on the balance of the land. The last part doesn't happen without the preceding bit so that's a boon for Morgan's business interests but it was at no detriment to anyone else so who cares?
It was good for everybody.

The university site was the business school plus some accomodation and it was decrepit. The school next to the ground was St. Edmund's (my old school) and needed renovating and the club bought the training pitch at the top from St. Peter's which was across the road which no doubt improved their coffers.

Wolverhampton College got some improvement too IIRC.

Morgan was a lot of things you don't want at your club but he is a shrewd businessman and if he can make a few quid as well as improving everybody else's life then good for him and I don't think anybody begrudges him that.

I think St Edmunds got screwed over a bit from the deal, from what I remember. Lost a load of land.

Decent piece on Ed Woodward on ESPN today. Love this quote:

"Ole had us near the top of the table when Pochettino and Tuchel were available. So the club couldn't sack him in that situation. It was like God was trying to fuck us over."

:ROFLMAO:

So I've just seen that Messi's final 4 year contract at Barca apparently paid him out nearly 140m Euros each season.

Holy. Fuck.

Mike Ashley is set to offer £50m to buy Derby off Mel Morris

I'm not sure Morgan had control of redrow when he bought Wolves, mind he executed one of the best ever excercises in sell high, buy low. The idea he bought Wolves to make money out of them through building deals is laughable.

Not sure who owned the land but the redrow estate was built on the old grounds of the University campus, St Edmunds was moved to the old Uni buildings and extended (think this was a section 106) and the new training facility was built on the old St edmunds. The training ground was punted around the regional contractors when pencils were still very sharp.

I have no idea who owned what or made what, redrow would have made a few quid, but then they contributed towards the redevelopment of a secondary school (I believe) It would have helped things to stack up but in no way did Morgan use his building cronies to prosper out of Wolves.

I know for a fact that the contractor building the North Bank caught a cold on the job surrounding the steel price going up (amongst other things)

It's idiot talk that Morgan was making money out of building at wolves, other than a (relatively) small development contributing to redrows turnover, of which he'd draw down dividends on annual profits from the group.

Morgan contributed a fair bit to the town with the Way and what not and gets very little credit for it.
I thought that the steel had been purchased by Morgan (not necessarily directly) when the material price was favourable. Buckingham hit a delay when the steel erectors (Barrett Steel Buildings) went belly up and there was other delays with the PCC stairs. There was also a delay with the roof completion IIRC.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back