• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Football News Thread 2022/23

Status
Not open for further replies.
Leicester who seem fine letting their players go to the darts in the middle of 3k pissed people have managed to get another game postponed.

Edit. Doesn't even seem to be Covid just injuries and ACON calls ups. Absolute joke

Last edited:
All injuries (and AFCON) though apparently. They’ve been unlucky with a lot of long term ones tbf

All injuries (and AFCON) though apparently. They’ve been unlucky with a lot of long term ones tbf
It's bollocks though, they are saying that the younger players that played in the Cup yesterday don't count because they haven't played a PL game, even though they are eligible. The 13 rule was put in place for Covid, not injury bad luck

It's bollocks though, they are saying that the younger players that played in the Cup yesterday don't count because they haven't played a PL game, even though they are eligible. The 13 rule was put in place for Covid, not injury bad luck
Good point! I’m completely missing the point that postponements were only allowed because of Covid!

The authorities changed that rule the other week so one cup appearance wouldn't count for those postponement rules.

Who checks on the injuries? Lose a few key players and what’s to stop fringe players suddenly developing groin strains? Can see why we haven’t given Cundle and other youngsters any PL minutes, it could mean we lose the opportunity to get a game postponed. Time to play on with whatever players are available

Klopp also claiming they had a lot of false positives in the squad, really? Obviously very hard to disprove but very unlikely that in a squad of players they had a sudden load of false positives.

That Leicester postponement is the worst one of the lot, any other season there’s not even a consideration to get it called off. AFCON was always planned and tough shit if you’ve got lots of injuries. They literally beat Watford 4-1 2 days ago with the squad they have available.

Unfortunately the league brought in a rule whereby if you don't have 14 players you can get a game called off. No mention of it being Covid related or not.

I sympathise with Leicester as they only have 8 fit first team players, but other teams have used this to their advantage too like Liverpool. We could probably have put a side out with a few kids in it against Watford too.

Unfortunately the league brought in a rule whereby if you don't have 14 players you can get a game called off. No mention of it being Covid related or not.

I sympathise with Leicester as they only have 8 fit first team players, but other teams have used this to their advantage too like Liverpool. We could probably have put a side out with a few kids in it against Watford too.
Covid can be classed as force majeure, injuries aren't. Our game against Arsenal was postponed because we have 4-6 Covid cases, fwiw I think we should have been made to play given the side we could have put out, the same applies to Liverpool. but those situations are not the same as this

Covid can be classed as force majeure, injuries aren't. Our game against Arsenal was postponed because we have 4-6 Covid cases, fwiw I think we should have been made to play given the side we could have put out, the same applies to Liverpool. but those situations are not the same as this
Absolutely

I reckon 90% of football fans believe nothing should be postponed. You have squads, u23s, academies for a reason. Luck is luck, just play the fucking games
I agree, but the money men don't want to see "the brand" damaged by having kids playing what would be high profile games, of course, that's all that matters. "The brand".

Aye, we can't dilute the product, can we.

Thing is I reckon all of the 'customers' absolutely love watching academy kids play, whether it's their team or not! I remember when I was watching a West Ham game and Freddie Sears scored on his debut and I just started crying :LOL: like the Liverpool match yesterday, it was loads more interesting watching those young lads than it is fringe players like milner and origi

When I see a young player score (as that is often what makes their appearance memorable) I end up following their whole career (even if they never really make it) from a distance. Like you I remember the Sears goal and despite having absolutely no affinity with him, Essex, WHU etc I was strangely disappointed when to failed to really make the grade there.

Other debut or very early in their career goals (from non-Wolves players) that stick in my mind are Rooney [obviously], Rideout for England schoolboys, Aliadiere (although I'm happy to gloss over his time with us), Stephen Wright for Liverpool in a European game, Luke Rogers weirdly and Danny Rose for some strange reason.

An odd, fairly eclectic mix!

Are clubs still segregating between junior teams and first teams to limit the impacts of any outbreaks? Would assume that makes it difficult to quickly chop and change players between squads if so.

Are clubs still segregating between junior teams and first teams to limit the impacts of any outbreaks? Would assume that makes it difficult to quickly chop and change players between squads if so.
Yeah this is definitely the case at some clubs tbf

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back