• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Football News Thread 2022/23

Status
Not open for further replies.
Preferred Home park back in the 90’s with the two terraces at either end went there in 90 with my dad I think we won 1-0.
In size and potential they’d be on a par with Bristol City catchment area is huge pretty much most of west Devon and Cornwall.

I've been a couple of times and found the walk back through the park afterwards challenging on both occasions

FA Cup semi final in 1984. Lost to Watford I think as Everton beat West Ham. EDIT - Everton beat Plymouth. Watford beat Southampton. Memory not what I thought!! Could be the other way round. It's a fabulous part of the world, but a long away day to go to. I used to leave stupid early and have a Little Chef Olympic brekkie just outside the city after you come off the bottom of the M5 at Exeter as roughage before hitting the Barbican for a couple of very civilised beers in some excellent pubs. From there it is a pleasant walk through the centre of the City and up the hill to the park, and then Home Park hoves into view over a low hill. Really lovely ground. Match day nosh at Home Park is excellent too. Plus I saw Sam Vokes score a worldie on debut there.
Little Chef Olympics would double the cost of an away day.

I've been a couple of times and found the walk back through the park afterwards challenging on both occasions

Plymouth itself isn’t great typical dockyard city nothing in comparison to Exeter or Torquay

Plymouth is like Wolverhampton on sea

Poor old Walsall...probably the biggest news they have had since being owned by a man from Rugeley and we discuss it for 5 seconds before diverting to talk about Pad eating breakfast somewhere near Low Hill on Sea.

Not being snobbish, genuine question. I thought Poundland owned Walsall now?

I didn't think you were. They are sponsoring the stadium and (I think) the shirts, so it is the Poundland stadium in the same way it's Emirates at Arsenal

Nope. Poundland are the new sponsors which includes the Stadium. So name of the Stadium has changed, hence the update on CH.

New owners are from Birmingham, Alabama. Sports investment group and Walsall are their first club.
As it stands they own 51% and over the next few years will own more and buy the Stadium (not for £1 though)

One thing you would hope (and I have no dog in this particular fight) is that this might guarantee Walsall a lot of financial stability at the level where they are. Their top ambition is realistically struggling in the nether regions of the second tier, and if they could get back to that, then fair play and good luck to them.

Pronounced BUR-MING-HAM. Like pork.

Back to Walsall:

Boycott also highlighted Walsall's "potential" as a club and revealed numerous trips to watch matches this season had confirmed his belief the Saddlers were the right club.

"The very first thing was the passion and the energy this town has for the club," he said.

"I've been in the stadium for multiple matches this year and the emotion and passion the fans have is unique and we've been to a lot of football matches in a lot of places - this is a special place.

CorruptShallowAfricancivet-size_restricted.gif

If you wander around Walsall town centre you'd have no idea there was a football club nearby. Most people in the metropolitan borough of Walsall don't support Walsall. They only ever top 5,000 through the gate when they're playing someone local and/or with a traditionally big away following.

The chairman of Walsall

"I'm pretty tired of being the chairman of the small club in the Midlands"

Time to start job hunting then pal

Looks like the Derby takeover is collapsing. Another chancer who didn't have the money

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back