• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Football News Thread 2022/23

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let's assume he left Arsenal on a free, I wouldn't want him here on half that and we're desperate for goals.

The game is ruined. The gap is too huge.

Big clubs giving all these reserves massive contracts which other teams just cannot afford sustainably. Same as Man United paying Lingard, Jones and smalling obscene wages. Then their actual good players are on 3-4x that.

They'll see it as protecting/insuring their investment though. He'll end up being sold for £10-20m at some point in the next 18 months, because he's not good enough, and they'll have made a few quid.

we need to accept that £40k a week will barely even pay for a "head it, kick it" centre half these days. It's wank, but it's where we are and clubs that think they can be outliers will end up relegated.

I think it's going to go more like the NFL with players running their contracts down/refusing new ones because of the power being a free agent has. Some will always want the security, but I think we'll see more average Tarkowski types betting on themselves

Last edited:
This is a great thread on a frankly shite state of affairs

Do other leagues give a higher % of their broadcasting revenue to the bigger clubs?

I wonder if the pl's success is down to how competitive it is by comparison. And because broadcasting revenue in the pl is a bit more balanced, it allows the smaller clubs to compete more.

Do other leagues give a higher % of their broadcasting revenue to the bigger clubs?

I wonder if the pl's success is down to how competitive it is by comparison. And because broadcasting revenue in the pl is a bit more balanced, it allows the smaller clubs to compete more.
It does compared to La Liga, there the difference between top & bottom is a factor of 3.2, whilst PL is something like 1.6

Tough assignment for CLT ended in mild heartbreak last night, losing 2-1 after leading 0-1 for a good chunk of the match.

Still, Seattle is perhaps the toughest trip in MLS at the moment, so no big surprises. We ride on.

the whole french minister laying the blame of "fans without tickets" smacks so much of the authorities response to hillsborough to me.

the whole french minister laying the blame of "fans without tickets" smacks so much of the authorities response to hillsborough to me.
Yep, and the press are actually saying that it wasn't fans without tickets, there were fans from both clubs with fake tickets (who wouldn't necessarily have known they were fake), and/or fans whose tickets weren't scanning properly through the turnstiles.

There were even sections of the media whose credentials weren't scanning properly upon their attempts at access some 3 or 4 hours before the game.

The Guardian football weekly podcast did an interesting review of it in yesterday's podcast.

Gareth Bale signs off with a 5th Champions League in 8 seasons at Real Madrid. Unbelievable for a golfer...

Yep, and the press are actually saying that it wasn't fans without tickets, there were fans from both clubs with fake tickets (who wouldn't necessarily have known they were fake), and/or fans whose tickets weren't scanning properly through the turnstiles.

There were even sections of the media whose credentials weren't scanning properly upon their attempts at access some 3 or 4 hours before the game.

The Guardian football weekly podcast did an interesting review of it in yesterday's podcast.
Heard a good piece on the radio over here about it, seems some tickets which were legal wouldn't scan, Andrew Robertson got some off Liverpool gave them to friends and they couldn't get in with the tickets.
Also tickets seemed easy enough to copy.
Added to that some of the gates weren't open until right before kick off, seems an absolute cluster fuck by French organisers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back