• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Football News Thread 2022/23

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jeffs totting up shirt sales+ worldwide exposure as we speak.
All fits,
Portuguese,
Goal scorer,
Mendes client,
You know it makes sense*

*may not be serious, and don’t call me Shirley.

Another success for VAR as Villa get Luiz's red card over turned

Unfortunately Paul Mullin will not be wearing his new boots as Wrexham have banned him from doing so...
Mullin-boots.jpeg.jpg

Wigan haven't paid their players. Third time it's happened this season.

For those who were wondering what Championship clubs are worth if someone wants to sell them, the asking price is supposedly around £15m. Not sure if they currently own the ground or any other property.

Think they part own their ground with the local council?

I thought the Rugby League team did, but that might be put of date info

I think this went through in the end. So they own 85% of it and will get revenues off it on matchdays and concerts etc, but a bit like us, the council own the actual land (so no-one can sell the stadium and use it for anything other than sport).

Was just wondering what the £15m buys you. Apparently the current owners only paid around £3m + whatever the CVA was to bring them out of admin.

Last edited:
Latics own the ground but naff all else around it, may own some of the parking but I think that's all council and warriors own all the training ground etc. That £15m is considerably more than they laid for the club

The new owner tried/did up the rent for the warriors and started taking most the match day revenue as well as getting rid of all the rugby stuff around the ground. Warriors encourage everyone to use robin park that they own and pretty much everyone does.

Ground shares are shit for both parties, the warriors owner tried to buy the ground but the administrators thought they would sell the team with a ground better than a football team without one.

Sad as it is I hope latics go bust, they've done so before (I think one of the first clubs ever) they rather oddly hate the warriors and there's just constant grief between the two of them, all a bit weird really but during the 80s and 90s hey day there were some pretty disparaging comments made about the football team

Man I miss Central park

Geography and history are factors that aren't going to change, so Wigan will always be a complete money pit of a football club if they're trying to compete in the top two tiers. Rugby Ball Heid Whelan had the appetite for that, but I'm not sure anyone else does.

I don't know enough about Rugby League to say whether Warriors can viably play at that ground.

Geography and history are factors that aren't going to change, so Wigan will always be a complete money pit of a football club if they're trying to compete in the top two tiers. Rugby Ball Heid Whelan had the appetite for that, but I'm not sure anyone else does.

I don't know enough about Rugby League to say whether Warriors can viably play at that ground.
Wigan Athletic were kicked out the league and refused entry for years after going bust in the 30s. Their biggest game for years was playing Newcastle in the fa cup. Without Whelan they would have never got anywhere and probably shouldn't have.

The crowds have been dropping this season (and they're low) and the owners spent a bit last season. As you say they will never be a long term viable team in the top 2 leagues.

The ground is too big for the rugby team in reality, apart from maybe twice a year it's no where near filled, but they'd probably make it viable. The Warriors are bankrolled by a millionaire but it's not stupid. RL tends to live within it's means these days, salary caps and a reluctance to pay any transfer fees are the result of Wigan and Bradford overreaching themselves, the later without being able to sell their iconic ground have never recovered. Union turning professional moved it further down the pecking order and the game had to do something to make sure it survived.

It's just so hemmed in on every side by long-established clubs who have their own support and like round here, it's tribal. There isn't anywhere for them to steal fans from, never has been. Their gates when they were in the PL were always shite for "regular" games, I saw Keogh's goal there on a compilation the other week, it looked half-empty.

They've never had good support, Wigan is probably bigger than you think but as they only got back in the league in 1978 then there's no history only the recent success which as you rightly say was still pathetic in terms of following

A few years when they were Whelan's play thing won't change them, it would be like Kidderminster having Sir Jack take an interest in them.

Going back to their natural level is fine. Anyone wanting a club to go bust no matter who they are is wanky

One person has died and at least four others have been injured - some seriously - in a stabbing in a supermarket near Milan, northern Italy, reports say.
They say an employee of the Carrefour supermarket died after a man started attacking people in the town of Assago.
Among the injured was Pablo Mari, a football player on loan from Arsenal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back