• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Football News Thread 2023/24

On a related note, I wonder what the long term future is regarding fans, are there enough youngsters enthralled by football to keep current interest going?

On a related note, I wonder what the long term future is regarding fans, are there enough youngsters enthralled by football to keep current interest going?
There are enough watching on TV playing FFL, iterations of Fifa and engaging with it on social media, whether that translates to them filling stadiums in the long term, I'm not so sure?

There are enough watching on TV playing FFL, iterations of Fifa and engaging with it on social media, whether that translates to them filling stadiums in the long term, I'm not so sure?
That's something I suppose but I wonder how many of them will bother going to games or even watching a whole match on TV when they're in their 20/30s.

That's something I suppose but I wonder how many of them will bother going to games or even watching a whole match on TV when they're in their 20/30s.
Exactly.

It also feels as though it's a lot more expensive relatively speaking for 20 year olds who no longer go with their dads than it was in the 00s?

I am reminded of a Liverpool supporting friend who loves to text me saying how trash Liverpool are and how much they ruin her quality of life.

Meanwhile, they're winning by multiple goals.
Your scenario is the equivalent of me choosing Green Bay in the NFL, I’ve no connection to them and chose them on the basis of watching the documentary about ice bowl in 1967 and was fascinated by it.
Our grievances come when you talk to someone born in the same town as you and they think they are superior because they chose to support Liverpool etc with zero connection to the them other than they’re very good.

Proper punch in the guts for Luton too, notice Winter has completely disregarded their fans and situation. It’ll feel like they’ve lost a game tonight. Pretty much ends the season for Burnley and Sheff Utd to( not that they stood a chance)

Exactly.

It also feels as though it's a lot more expensive relatively speaking for 20 year olds who no longer go with their dads than it was in the 00s?

I'm sure I've read somewhere recently that attendances are as high as they've been for decades

Proper punch in the guts for Luton too, notice Winter has completely disregarded their fans and situation. It’ll feel like they’ve lost a game tonight. Pretty much ends the season for Burnley and Sheff Utd to( not that they stood a chance)

Not if Forest and Everton get hit by another 6 point penalty each. It gets much more interesting then. (Not that I think Sheff Utd or Burnley have any chance of staying up - they're done)

Reactions: b3h
Exactly.

From my mid teens when my Dad stopped taking me I was self sufficient in going to the games. Paper round money, Saturday jobs and not spending birthday or Christmas money on anything else meant I could go to every home (and away once I was about 17) match. My son is 18 now [still in education] and if I didn't take him and pay for his ST there is no way he could afford it.
P.S. my teens were the 80s and not 00s, but the point still stands.

Not if Forest and Everton get hit by another 6 point penalty each. It gets much more interesting then. (Not that I think Sheff Utd or Burnley have any chance of staying up - they're done)
Even still your biggest rival getting 4 points back is a big blow.

Can't remember exactly now (I'm getting old) but almost certain when I was at uni in Manchester (1999-2003) and coming back for games (pretty much never missed Sat/Sun games, just midweeks, so no ST) I wasn't paying more than £15 a ticket.

Getting on for treble that now.

Yeah but I wonder what the age of the paying attendee is?
This is my last regular season, still enjoy the sport but the cost is just unjustifiable.
I genuinely don’t think I’ll be back either as I’ve got numerous other interest that can help me unwind shall we say. Not that I’m giving supporting just won’t be there in person.

This is my last regular season, still enjoy the sport but the cost is just unjustifiable.
I genuinely don’t think I’ll be back either as I’ve got numerous other interest that can help me unwind shall we say. Not that I’m giving supporting just won’t be there in person.
I'm doing my annual "think this is my last year" dance at the moment. We'll see when we get to May/June.

My dad and big brother were diehard baggies fans, and they took me to my first game, aged 5 (1957) at the hawthorns versus wolves.
Much to their chagrin, i fell in love with the colours, old gold and have never looked back.
In the late 50's and 60's it was normal to have a local team, so i was was wierd being wolves (kin miles away from where we lived in central brum, 5 ways).
Think it was along with footie on the telly at least once a week that top team fandom became a thing.

I'm doing my annual "think this is my last year" dance at the moment. We'll see when we get to May/June.
I’ve told the mrs so that’s it pretty much done, told her still means I’ll be good for not much whilst we’re playing but instead of being out for 5 hours it’ll just be the 90 minutes. I’m very chilled with idea I’ve seen us play and beat everyone now, been to Europe, been to Wembley etc so unless we win a cup there’s not a lot of new stuff to see.

Back