• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Football News Thread 2023/24

Think it was along with footie on the telly at least once a week that top team fandom became a thing.
Nah man, mid 80s you struggled even for highlights, late 80s a weird live blackout until about October and one game on ITV shared out amongst the league. No dedicated highlights show until MOTD came back in 1992.

Still surrounded by fake Liverpool fans growing up on the Walsall/Wolves border. Not a single Man Utd "fan" as they were shit but amazingly quite a few by the time we got to 1994 or so.

Why?

It's taking the easy option isn't it?
Why?

It's taking the easy option isn't it?

Could be any number of things, a particular match just caught their attention, a player they liked. Sure you'll get some who just want to pick the winner, hardly an uncommon attitude for a kid, but who cares?

I grew up with mates who were United and Liverpool fans and can't say that I think it has had any great influence on their general personalities. The worst effect it's had on any of them was during our teenage years when one virtually modelled himself on young Cristiano and became unbearable to play football with or against. I've met people in more recent years who came to football later in life, ended up following City or Chelsea because they were on TV loads and a good watch at the time.

My dad started off as an Everton fan in the 60/70s I think, his dad didn't have any interest so he just found his own way and then ended up going to Wolves games with mates so went down that path instead.

It's just a game, it can be revealing of character but it's not character defining unless you let it be.

Can't remember exactly now (I'm getting old) but almost certain when I was at uni in Manchester (1999-2003) and coming back for games (pretty much never missed Sat/Sun games, just midweeks, so no ST) I wasn't paying more than £15 a ticket.

Getting on for treble that now.
3 times the price since 2003.
My last job was 3 years ago and my salary was no-where near 3 times as much as 2003, maybe 30% more

My son goes to football training at Bishop Milner school on a Friday evening and a few teams train there. You see the odd Man City top but not many. There are loads of Wolves tops which is good to see.

Still plenty of Man Utd and Liverpool tops around. I think one of our coaches supports both Man Utd and Albion 🤣 One of the other Dads is a Liverpool fan too despite being originally from Middlesbrough.

Last edited:
My son goes to football training at Bishop Milner school on a Friday evening and a few teams train there. You see the odd Man City top but not many. There are loads of Wolves tops which is good to see.

Still plenty of Man Utd and Liverpool tops around. I think one of our coaches supports both Man Utd and Albion 🤣 One of the other Dad’s is a Liverpool fan too despite being originally from Middlesbrough.

The dual club thing is truly bizarre. There's loads around here who support Coventry and Liverpool.

If I give up my season ticket then the odds of me going "oh, Leicester at home, £42, I'll do that" are pretty long.

I don't know. It is a piss take (they'll put prices up again, I guarantee you) but I'm the kind of captive idiot they want.

The dual club thing is truly bizarre. There's loads around here who support Coventry and Liverpool.
Had this debate also on the second club thread I think it’s near impossible you’ve got a club you support then a soft spot club maybe. I’ve got a soft spot for Sampdoria but if they lose I shrug my shoulders. If wolves lose I feel pretty down for a good few hours afterwards at least.

Maybe take a second pass mate, devil's in the details.
Au contraire, re read what I said.

To clarify I think that:

A) in a lot of instances it showed a weakness in character of those kids who chose the easy option to support a team that were the "best".

B) As I've grown up (and as a kid) I have found that often (but not always) the glory hunting fan has various character flaws in general life, such as arrogance, an inability to accept defeat and entitlement.

Had this debate also on the second club thread I think it’s near impossible you’ve got a club you support then a soft spot club maybe. I’ve got a soft spot for Sampdoria but if they lose I shrug my shoulders. If wolves lose I feel pretty down for a good few hours afterwards at least.
If we'd somehow scraped survival under Saunders in 2013 and he'd therefore stayed to sign some mutant army coached by Meathead Mal Purchase then I could easily have gone full on St Pauli.

Some things are just too much.

If we'd somehow scraped survival under Saunders in 2013 and he'd therefore stayed to sign some mutant army coached by Meathead Mal Purchase then I could easily have gone full on St Pauli.

Some things are just too much.
Bloody glory hunter...

Never understood glory hunters even as a kid. It's got to mean something. Once my dad told me we had a local team (Can we go? Yes. Are they any good? No.) that was all I was interested in. My son was born and raised in North London but he supports Wolves because I do.

I was hoping to take my lad when he gets old enough to go, he's 1 and a bit at the moment.

Christ knows how much it'll be when he gets old enough, but my dad took me so i feel duty bound to inflict it upon my son!

It's interesting to hear the pov of long time ST holders, a little bit sad that some think if they give up their ST they probably won't go to any live games.
I've never had one, it's always been a 'special treat' to go to Molineux for me and my boys, although my youngest had one for a couple of seasons during the MM years, gave it up when he went to work in Germany for a year or so.

Back