• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Football News Thread 2023/24

I'm not going to be churlish, it's really exciting for Blues and the City if it comes off, but they couldn't fill a 60k stadium with anything other than tourists for any game unless they are giving tickets away. Make it 35-40 and don't let your ego get in the way.

Good news for blues, new stadium and better facilities will always bump your fan base up a bit. 35k is ample for them though, I won’t begrudge them of some hope and excitement, anyone who has to share a city with the most arrogant fan base in history has my sympathy.

Talkshite carrying on with the “poor little Everton” mantra this morning.
Outside of reporting the news the media should be censored on debating this or offering opinions whilst it’s under appeal.

Talkshite carrying on with the “poor little Everton” mantra this morning.
Outside of reporting the news the media should be censored on debating this or offering opinions whilst it’s under appeal.
Listened to a bit of that, it's sickening.
No-one in the media seems to be putting the point about the other teams there, the ones who haven't broken the rules but will probably go down. What if Everton get those 2 points back and Luton go down by 1 point? Where is the fairness then.

No-one in the media seems to be putting the point about the other teams there, the ones who haven't broken the rules but will probably go down. What if Everton get those 2 points back and Luton go down by 1 point? Where is the fairness then.
There's also the feeling that some teams get more sympathy than others. For instance if we were in Everton's situation the narrative would probably be less sympathetic along the lines of 'oh well, they knew the rules and thought they were above them'

I can't believe that the stadium costs aren't being allowed is still being spun in certain quarters. The amount in dispute relates to interest payments from a shady source (as in was it for the stadium or financing day to day cashflow) and doesn't come near to wiping out the breach. Its £6m against the breach of £16m for the last 3 year period.

I'm not going to be churlish, it's really exciting for Blues and the City if it comes off, but they couldn't fill a 60k stadium with anything other than tourists for any game unless they are giving tickets away. Make it 35-40 and don't let your ego get in the way.

They have come a long way in just 9 years

1712651555464.png

All this "the people's club" and "grand old team" bollocks does my head in. Fuck off, you're just a bunch of scrubbers in a shit ground who's added nothing but mediocrity in the PL era.

Yep Forest have basically been told by the media that they were idiots for their promotion spending spree, the way it’s spun with Everton is a very sycophantic approach and I don’t get why.
There situation is the product of being run in an appalling fashion and buying players with very little sell on value.
Building a new ground, yep Goodison is a relic but it would survive 5 more years whilst you got your finances in line.
Oh and you’ve had ample time sell the likes of Pickford to balance your books, but no that just to easy.
All the politicians ie Andy Burnham and Steve Rotherham who’ve waded in have blamed the PL but not questioned the owners. As for the media the likes of Henry Winter and various talkshite presenters have shown such poor levels of research and objectivity.
Winter’s attitude is “ yeah they broke the rules, but be nice to them”

I sympathise with Everton fans because of the ownership they have not because of how they’ve been sanctioned.

As for the media the likes of Henry Winter and various talkshite presenters have shown such poor levels of research and objectivity.
Winter’s attitude is “ yeah they broke the rules, but be nice to them”

On one side I get the argument "They wanted to improve and challenge for trophies and are being punished for it. The PL will stop you if you have ambitions above grabbing 7th or 8th"

but they ignore "Wasted a fuck ton of money year after year and knew the rules existed but carried on thinking they would be ignored"

The above is pretty much the same as our club right up to the new knew the rules existed bit - We then took action to avoid being punished. Action that could have cost us a place in the PL and might have implications going forward on how we do business. If Jeff Shi can accept shit like this then they can. Fuck them. They deserve the initial 10 points and then another 10. Fuck double jeopardy, they saw the rules...ignored them and then ignored them again and yet they get such a minimal punishment.
Not a fan of the PSR stuff but its there, so follow the rules or get done (or a tiny slap on the wrist)

Tony Evan’s who’s a Liverpool fan by the way saying they shouldn’t be punished for Stadium building as that area of city is in great need of regeneration.
Sorry but that’s not a PL problem you clown that’s a political problem.

I've got a touch more sympathy for them with their original breech, on the one hand don't take money from Russian oligarchs, on the other it's difficult to predict how mad Putin is or that the West would give a fuck this time.

This one I have none at all for, they could have avoided it of they wanted and 2 points is pathetic.

I've got a touch more sympathy for them with their original breech, on the one hand don't take money from Russian oligarchs, on the other it's difficult to predict how mad Putin is or that the West would give a fuck this time.

This one I have none at all for, they could have avoided it of they wanted and 2 points is pathetic.
Even the Oligarch sponsorship money is dodgy. If £20m is lost on the basis that the sponsor could no longer do it because of sanctions, then if a replacement can't be found for even half of that amount then it tells you that someone was paying massively over the going rate. The only reason that would be happening is if someone connected to the club is pulling in a huge favour from an external company or that something not quite above board is happening. I don't have sympathy for them for not receiving over inflated sponsorship deals from questionable sources.

Given the somewhat shady background of our ownership I find that element 'there for the grace of God go I.'

Derek Hatton MP accusing the PL of incompetence/corruption, the irony

More them probably I’d never heard of him until now

Back