• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Football News Thread 2023/24

You know take that first sentence out which is clearly intended to rub me up the wrong way there’s some good points in that post.
I don’t think female ex pros genuinely compare their own experiences to the men’s game most often it’s a case of them giving their opinion on the incident they’ve seen.
Hopefully they don’t compare wages on air..

Bloody loved that penalty - I remember watching that game.

'AVE IT!
Loved the dive from Schmeichel...makes it look like he tried to save it but in reality he just refused to get near it and threw himself on the floor and safely out of the way

You know take that first sentence out which is clearly intended to rub me up the wrong way there’s some good points in that post.
I don’t think female ex pros genuinely compare their own experiences to the men’s game most often it’s a case of them giving their opinion on the incident they’ve seen.
Apologies if that's how you felt it wasn't intended that way.

Most of the time I agree with you most pundits do comment on what they see, men and women. But his particular bugbear is with the comparison and it's hard to say he's not right.

I don't feel that crops up very regularly. It did when Ellen White was coming close to 50 England goals and they'd say she was "approaching Wayne Rooney's record" which is obviously a silly thing to say, but if you have Lucy Ward (for example) on a Premier League match she isn't busy comparing Jordan Pickford with Mary Earps.

Apologies if that's how you felt it wasn't intended that way.

Most of the time I agree with you most pundits do comment on what they see, men and women. But his particular bugbear is with the comparison and it's hard to say he's not right.

No bother buddy, as said I think you make some very fair points with the original post.

I don't feel that crops up very regularly. It did when Ellen White was coming close to 50 England goals and they'd say she was "approaching Wayne Rooney's record" which is obviously a silly thing to say, but if you have Lucy Ward (for example) on a Premier League match she isn't busy comparing Jordan Pickford with Mary Earps.

The biggest bug bear is the throw away comment “the women can teach the men a thing or two” after they won the euros.
It’s not up for question really that the men’s team are put under far more scrutiny and pressure than the lionesses have done.

The biggest bug bear is the throw away comment “the women can teach the men a thing or two” after they won the euros.
It’s not up for question really that the men’s team are put under far more scrutiny and pressure than the lionesses have done.
Yep, and the bollocks that the women's game is somehow more sporting and genteel. No it isn't. Jill Scott has a media career largely based on being caught on camera saying "fuck off you fucking prick" to an opponent and Earps is terrible for it.

mary-earps.gif

Absolutely loads of diving and bawling at the ref too.

Yep, and the bollocks that the women's game is somehow more sporting and genteel. No it isn't. Jill Scott has a media career largely based on being caught on camera saying "fuck off you fucking prick" to an opponent and Earps is terrible for it.

mary-earps.gif

Absolutely loads of diving and bawling at the ref too.

No I agree and I prefer that it’s played with an edge to it but it isn’t the utopia and that everyone is good mates after the game and is pure. Example being the behaviour of the Cameroon players at the 2019 WC.

I don't disagree with you, the only bit the grates on me is often the commentator will ask the co-Comms what the badger will be saying at HT. Which is daft on the Comms part because how on earth can they know 🤷

But Barton is upset at the comparison bit which isn't often as you say.

Hopefully they don’t compare wages on air..
Equal pay as a % of the revenue you generate but not an equal as paying the same amount because it’s completely delusional and unsustainable.
Example being crowds, tv funding and sponsorship at WSL level are probably L1 to L2 levels in the the men’s game. So wages are that equivalent.

Equal pay as a % of the revenue you generate but not an equal as paying the same amount because it’s completely delusional and unsustainable.
Example being crowds, tv funding and sponsorship at WSL level are probably L1 to L2 levels in the the men’s game. So wages are that equivalent.
It's not even that high.

It's not even that high.
Matches played on 26/11 crowds were 14,138, 3,686, 2,558, 1,344, 4,203, 2,134
I’d say that a mish mash of L1 & L2 crowds.
Nevertheless not sure what entrance fees are for games.

As opposed to the completely sustainable and rational wages the men already make...

As opposed to the completely sustainable and rational wages the men already make...
I'd wager there's a far greater disparity in US Sports.

I mean LeBron James has picked up over $330m in salary alone since he turned pro. $1bn+ in total earnings. Compare that to the star WNBA players.

I mean LeBron James has picked up over $330m in salary alone since he turned pro. $1bn+ in total earnings. Compare that to the star WNBA players.
Of course, it's at least as infuriating.

Let me be as clear as I can, I'm in no way uniquely frustrated over soccer.

The WNBA plays to a pitiful amount of people per night though. And women don't care about going to watch it so the players will never make any money whatsoever.

~7000 isn't a ton but "pitiful" is a bit much.

Also, "Women don't care"? Asked them all, have you?

~7000 isn't a ton but "pitiful" is a bit much.

Also, "Women don't care"? Asked them all, have you?
Why do I need to know what every woman wants?! It's a generalisation based on terrible attendances. The vast, vast majority would rather sit and watch The Kardashians than go and support a female league.

Back