• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Football News Thread 2023/24

Looking at the stadium spread there’s big gaps nothing between LA & Kansas, would’ve thought Denver would’ve been a good shout.
Also nothing in Chicago, Detroit or Minneapolis.

Denver spent millions on the stadium and put in natural grass in order to host. No idea why they were overlooked

Good night out Denver to, well it was in 2007 not sure now though.

Denver is still brilliant by all accounts. Though I suppose YMMV depending on how you handle random whiffs of marijuana.

Denver is still brilliant by all accounts. Though I suppose YMMV depending on how you handle random whiffs of marijuana.

The 2 nights I had there were a blur just remember the next morning being like the hangover part 1.

Had a long weekend in Denver years ago. Great city. Do not play basketball there though, especially against locals. I could barely breathe after thirty seconds

What’s the theory? Allow you to run faster?

Assume they aren’t wearing ankle protectors either? They were a god send. Getting smashed on the ankle with no protector on hurt like hell

Oops typo meant to put banned

i don’t think anyone wears ankle protectors anymore tbf. Maybe at low grassroots level. A lot of it I think is aesthetic and as you say, in their mind anyway, to feel lighter and faster. Ridiculous really.

I always wore the biggest ones I could get - getting kicked in the shin fucking hurts. That said, it’s not like we get a ton of shin injuries in the professional game is it?

i don’t think anyone wears ankle protectors anymore tbf. Maybe at low grassroots level. A lot of it I think is aesthetic and as you say, in their mind anyway, to feel lighter and faster. Ridiculous really.
Shin pads are seen as uncool by the youth, ridiculous really - don't know if Grealish is to blame? Ankle protectors a fashion faux pas which would see you banished.

Shin pads are seen as uncool by the youth, ridiculous really - don't know if Grealish is to blame? Ankle protectors a fashion faux pas which would see you banished.
Yeah the rolled down socks look certainly hasn’t helped!

Looking at the stadium spread there’s big gaps nothing between LA & Kansas, would’ve thought Denver would’ve been a good shout.
Also nothing in Chicago, Detroit or Minneapolis.
It's FIFA so obviously it comes down to money. Denver local authority wouldn't put the money up so funding had to come privately, Kansas City's did. Soldier Field is a pretty run down so that rules out Chicago.

If the final needed to be in the East or Central Zones then, Dallas, Houston and Atlanta are all better facilities than MetLife. Obviously it just came down to it (sort of) being in New York

That shinpad is fucking insane. There really should be an IFAB mandated minimum size/coverage area. No wonder the cunts are rolling around all over the shop

Boots today are like carpet slippers compared with boots of yesteryear, though. I expect that has something to do with it (although the studs still hurt as much, I'd imagine).

I can remember a few lads having silly shin pads last few years I was playing, think one actually went out and bought some children's ones so they were small enough to keep him happy! Like you say, ankle protectors seemed to largely go by the wayside years ago, would be over a decade since I last had any like that and even then it would've just been a bit of foam padding. The ones with the sort of plastic discs either side of your ankle could be a nightmare for interfering with the comfort of your boots.

All a bit silly really, modern shin pads are way lighter and fit better than even what was around when I was a kid, no need for people to be going to these stupid lengths.

Back