• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Football News Thread 2023/24

Wtf does it matter if someone decides they want to wear shin pads?
Didn't some Wolves player back in McGarry's team refuse to wear shinpads and there was some fuss about, 'he has to wear them or he wasn't insured?'

Blue cards to be introduced next season. 10 minute sin bin for dissent and cynical fouls.
This'll be fun interpreting that!
"Why did you just give me a yellow?"
"You were over by the touch line and you looked sideways at me whilst I think you mouthed a rude word too".

Didn't some Wolves player back in McGarry's team refuse to wear shinpads and there was some fuss about, 'he has to wear them or he wasn't insured?'
Dave Thomas (as mentioned wasn't in McGarry's team). It wasn’t until 1990 that FIFA made football shin guards a mandatory part of a player’s kit.

IIRC Charlie George discarded his shin pads during the FA Cup final for Arsenal against Liverpool. Edit: just looking back and quite a few of the players had their socks rolled down and come to think of it a lot of players used to end up discarding their shinpads and rolling down their socks towards the end of games at Wembley due to the 'lush' playing surface.

Last edited:
Blue cards to be introduced next season. 10 minute sin bin for dissent and cynical fouls.
Seen it used in indoor football in the US and it basically makes one team defensive and the other treat it like a power play. Overall, I don't like it and prefer the yellow card, red card system we have had in place for years. If the foul is cynical, then show red. Simple as that.

Seen it used in indoor football in the US and it basically makes one team defensive and the other treat it like a power play. Overall, I don't like it and prefer the yellow card, red card system we have had in place for years. If the foul is cynical, then show red. Simple as that.
Yeah, totally agree. Better, more consistent use of yellow / red cards is all that's needed

A "warmed up" player blue carded to a sin bin is only going to increase injuries if they spend 10 mins sat there cooling down.

A "warmed up" player blue carded to a sin bin is only going to increase injuries if they spend 10 mins sat there cooling down.
Nah, that's nonsense otherwise you'd see an increase in injuries after half time in every game and you don't.

I don't like the idea though it will be interesting to see what happens with the trial.

I'm not wholly against it the idea tbh. Those tactical fouls on transition can stop some really promising overloads and a yellow is often an easy take for a player who's watching a 3v2 open up ahead of him. Obviously the actual implementation will be a fucking car crash, but there's value in the suggestion

I'm not wholly against it the idea tbh. Those tactical fouls on transition can stop some really promising overloads and a yellow is often an easy take for a player who's watching a 3v2 open up ahead of him. Obviously the actual implementation will be a fucking car crash, but there's value in the suggestion
Value yes, but we could use the 'report' style system they use in rugby whereby the next foul send them off.

It's going to be shit, it was/is shit at grassroots level and it will be shit at the top level.

Football doesn't need "powerplays", hell football doesn't need repeated tinkering with, every year there is a significant change now.

Presumably it's the likes of Bartley's "challenge" the other week that would be the main focus. Cunha wasn't in a clear goalscoring position if he'd let him go, the ref would argue that he didn't endanger Cunha's safety or actually throw an elbow, so he couldn't send him off. But we all know that a yellow in that situation was insufficient punishment, it was deliberate, cynical foul play.

Sin bins and penalty boxes work in rugby and ice hockey. The former play doesn’t stop for injury unless it is serious or the downed player is interfering with where play is going. The latter the clock stops regularly so the full penalty is served

Football does neither of these. So you will get 10 minutes of feigned injury and shithousery.

And if the keeper is sin binned the game is fucked unless a tactical subto bring on another temporarily is allowed.

It’s a monumentally shit idea. The rules already cover dissent and cynical fouls with red and yellow cards. This piffle needs to be fired into the sun.

Hopefully it will show itself to be a crap idea with the trial of it and it can be forgotten.

But this constant tinkering is pissing me off. 👴

Back