• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The "Grow Your Own" Thread

This is a 'Kill Your Own' post!
I've just almost finished digging up a 30' hedge/bushes (8 of them) from the left side of my front garden.
Front to back was over 11 feet! Completely out of order, couldn't trim it Kept tons of light off next door too, and jesus! it was absolutely thick with 30 year old brambles and a completely solid network of ivy roots, Taken me a week of cutting and chopping.
I'm gonna put up a 6 foot fence made of 6" x 6' round tops (Lollipop sticks!) with some of the creeper that changes colour in Autumn.
Question is, What the best way to kill the ivy. I've got The tree stumps sorted. It's the ivy. Short of rotovating the whole thing, better still having it dug up with an excavator and putting new soil in...
Is it work trying to treat a thick subterranean mat of roots brambles and ivy, or just use pots?

I'm about to buy a creeper for my 6 foot high, 30 feet long fence.
Has anyone got a Boston Ivy or Virginia Creeper?
or any other alternatives.
We want that glorious Red leaf colour change in Autumn.

Nice to see some photos in this thread. Our garden is insanely good for roses for some reason. Will post some photos when I'm back home.
if i ever work out the photo sizing thing, it will too.

in advance, as people are usually helpful with suggestions etc, please be aware I am about as competent with IT as paddy ;)

Anyhows, the cloudy weather has saved some of the plants I suspect, as they were young and being baked.
Sowed some more lettuce and spring onion to keep on a roll with future regular harvesting.
done a major amount of strimming and tidying. Discovered in the long grass the gladioli that I moved last year are at least growing (or some of them are, probs not all).
Tidied around the clematis, and also around the wisteria. both are developing up the pergola thing we built. wisteria has flower buds.
weeded a spot in the garden and have planted out some verbena (i planted some there last year, which didn't seem to take, however this year loads of them have sprouted, so seems you need to wait - who'd have thought it?) I also planted the tray of cosmos, and planted out about 10 sunset boulevard flowers. I don't know what half these things are, they were free seeds.
This morning I sowed some lavender seeds I found. They're 2 years old, so doubtful anything will grow, but worth a shot in the dark.
The water butts are almost both empty. Rain and thunder forecast for the next week, but time for that to change. We need a bit of prolonged rain, as the ground is very hard now. Ideally we'd have a day of the fine stuff that wets ya, to soak in first, followed by more heavy stuff. The pond level is very low!
Beans and peas planted out. fucking cat keeps shitting and digging in that area though! I need to get the sprouts and cauliflowers planted out, but I have so little time at the moment!

Never had roses before so learning on the job, but they seem to be going mad so I guess they’re happy for the moment.

They seem quite tall and wanting to topple so I’m guessing the pruning leaves something to be desired. Probably should have been braver last year but was fearful of going to heavy handed and knackering them all together. Not sure if this height thing going on is how it should be and down to the plant type itself or symptomatic of poor pruning. Any thoughts on that one are appreciated.

In the mean time I’ll enjoy the size and colours for what they are.

D7275D9C-3670-4C8A-AC05-9D766F1A791F.jpeg

Reactions: b3h
A bit of grass seed guidance would be appreciated if that’s anyone’s thing?

Last year the lawn got mullered in the dry spell and as it dried out cracks appeared exposing some old slabs beneath the surface which once upon a time would’ve been a path. A few weeks ago I lifted them out and filled the holes with topsoil and put some seed in. Because the soil was the thickness of a slab I think I’ve made the mistake of putting the grass seed down too deep despite YouTube clips advising against it.

Anyway, the repairs now look like the top of Elton John’s head circa 1975. I’m thinking do I sprinkle some more topsoil and seed of would that potentially do harm to what’s trying to grow already? Feels a bit like between a rock and a hard place.

FF63CBC2-4596-4CED-BE20-33569E96D3CB.jpegF9E2D64E-EFBA-4005-888A-B4D5618F984C.jpeg

From what I know, I'd put some good quality peat free compost or potting soil down mixed with seed.
If it's already growing you won't harm it! If you look down the other end of the telescope you'll remember that frequently your best efforts have failed to stop grass growing!
If you bring it up to the level of the surrounding lawn you should be fine, maybe put some small squares of mesh over them to stop the birds whilst it establishes itself...

Came here thinking it was about something errrr different, bit disappointed I was misled by the title, anyone else does the same heres a handy link

Came here thinking it was about something errrr different, bit disappointed I was misled by the title, anyone else does the same heres a handy link

Lob some in the garden in summer and it can do really well. Not great if you have a typical width garden with neighbours either side of a fence though...

went away for a week and it meant everything grew, and loads of jobs didn't get done. Always love returning to see how things have changed though.
Sprouts and cauliflowers belatedly planted out. Lost last years caulis in the heatwave, and that was my 1st attempt so having another go. sprouts will be for xmas dinner.
started planting out marigolds into planters. have a few chimney pots in the garden that we're filling.
planted out a few sunflowers, also belatedly.
The Iris flowers are done, and some other flowers, so moving those pots. Dahlias starting to appear though.
Potted up the toms. There will be 1 more potting up this year in july.
the foxgloves and sweet peas are flowering.
the raspberry buses are mental this year. went out picking the other evening and filled 2.5 tubs for the freezer! the blueberry plant also looks good. we got a few blackcurrants, and the cuttings i took and planted out are settling down, so in a year or 2 can make me own ribena!
verbenas and sunset boulevard are starting to flower.

On returning from holiday, somehow, 80 large plant pots had appeared in our garage in a big stack, alongside another stack of smaller pots. Turns out stepdaughters neighbour was running a grow house. Someone reported it to the po-po, who raided it. Po-po set up a skip outside and dumped all the grow kits etc, including all the pots. Stepdaughters partner climbed in and recovered all the pots and distributed them around the family. Quite a result! I shouldn't need to buy a pot for a few years.

went away for a week and it meant everything grew, and loads of jobs didn't get done. Always love returning to see how things have changed though.
Sprouts and cauliflowers belatedly planted out. Lost last years caulis in the heatwave, and that was my 1st attempt so having another go. sprouts will be for xmas dinner.
started planting out marigolds into planters. have a few chimney pots in the garden that we're filling.
planted out a few sunflowers, also belatedly.
The Iris flowers are done, and some other flowers, so moving those pots. Dahlias starting to appear though.
Potted up the toms. There will be 1 more potting up this year in july.
the foxgloves and sweet peas are flowering.
the raspberry buses are mental this year. went out picking the other evening and filled 2.5 tubs for the freezer! the blueberry plant also looks good. we got a few blackcurrants, and the cuttings i took and planted out are settling down, so in a year or 2 can make me own ribena!
verbenas and sunset boulevard are starting to flower.

On returning from holiday, somehow, 80 large plant pots had appeared in our garage in a big stack, alongside another stack of smaller pots. Turns out stepdaughters neighbour was running a grow house. Someone reported it to the po-po, who raided it. Po-po set up a skip outside and dumped all the grow kits etc, including all the pots. Stepdaughters partner climbed in and recovered all the pots and distributed them around the family. Quite a result! I shouldn't need to buy a pot for a few years.
Pot plants?

I'll get me coat...

Use it again and I will report you to the forum po-po

Last edited:
i debated a very risky cheeky reply, then remembered your powers oh great one...

Back