• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The "Grow Your Own" Thread

It's been a bad year for peas and beans apparently. According to Gardeners Question Time it's been too wet for the bees to fly so they haven't been able to pollinate.

My runner beans are flowering late but already had a fairly decent first crop from them. The broad beans have been thunderously good and had some peas but nothing like as good as last year. Spuds have been a bit disappointing too.

Cheers Lemon, as my only remaining crop I'm slightly concerned at loosing any toms of them.

I'm actually looking forward to the winter when I can start planning next years fruit and Veg, it was very ad-hoc this time round and I think with a bit of planning will much improve my results, sad I know!

I've tried peas this year & last, & failed miserably both times.

It seems that about 2 months after planting them out, the plants die. Dunno whether I'm using poor seeds, or what.
I love peas, so will try again next year.
Carrots & beetroot are all going great though. I'll be harvesting the first carrots in 2 weeks time.
Praying that my toms come along in the next 2 weeks too....

Cheers Lemon, as my only remaining crop I'm slightly concerned at loosing any toms of them.

I'm actually looking forward to the winter when I can start planning next years fruit and Veg, it was very ad-hoc this time round and I think with a bit of planning will much improve my results, sad I know!

Sprouts are always a good one to grow. Plus you can leave them in when it is winter, & harvest them christmas eve for christmas dinner!

Go to the shops frequently and buy some.

I've got a few sprouts in, but I'm not sure they have survived - I'll be able to check up on them the weekend when I get back

Bumped from the mists of time!

I went and got compost this weekend. I haven't actually planted anything yet, but I've got the seeds ready.

I need to order replacement greenhouse covers, and frosts are still forecast, so I don't want to be putting stuff out uncovered.

I will clear some windowsills this week and plant seeds.

This year I will grow:
Tomatoes
Lettuce
Beetroot
Carrots
Onions
Cucumber

Each year I like to try something different. Today I bought a ginger (no, not kenny, the plant...). I thought it mighbe interesting.

Anyone else having a go this year? Last year was poor weather wise, so hoping we can share some stories (after my ban...)

Having finally got the back end of the garden & the vege plots (3 * 12ft by 6ft raised beds) clear & prepared I am all set to go once the weather gets above freezing.

Want to get some potatoes/onions/carrots & the usual salad items out plus putting in some raspberries for next year crop in one bed.

Only problem so far is that the seed potatoes I bought are not chitting up properly - I suspect my shed is not the right environment.

Having finally got the back end of the garden & the vege plots (3 * 12ft by 6ft raised beds) clear & prepared I am all set to go once the weather gets above freezing.

Want to get some potatoes/onions/carrots & the usual salad items out plus putting in some raspberries for next year crop in one bed.

Only problem so far is that the seed potatoes I bought are not chitting up properly - I suspect my shed is not the right environment.

I'm having chitting problems as well - mine are in the spare room!
Anyway - as soon as the frost stops, they're going in!

Main problem I have is that the Veg beds are in shade until approx. 11.00 even in mid summer

006_zps65830464.jpg

Anyone had experience re this - it certainly affected what I got off the one bed I had managed to clear last year

Great to see pics PLF!
FWIW last summer everything was rubbish, as there was no heat getting into the soil, as well as a lack of sunshine.

I was busy this weekend. Planted lettuce (first batch, diaried dates to plant 2nd and 3rd batches). Planted over 20 tomato seeds (more in a couple of weeks). Planted a fair number of carrots, beetroot. Got about 12 cucumber seeds in I think. Set up my ginger in a decent sized pot - will be keeping my fingers crossed for that one, as it is an experiment!

Greenhouse covers still haven't arrived, so I've commandeered most windowsills in the house & am incurring a lot of wrath!

Next weekend I'll be planting flowers for hanging baskets (& encouraging bees) & setting out my little polytunnel in the garden.

I also fixed the slug traps that someone had trodden on. Was nice to be outside. Next weekend is possibly going to be 17/18 degrees, & I'll be getting those greenhouses up!

I've grown, or at least attempted to grow most things over the last few years. My gardening philosophy has been distilled to the following:

Grow things that are relatively expensive to buy, yet easy and plentiful to grow. Pak Choi, Rocket, Soft fruit.

Grow things that taste so much better when home grown. Peas, runner beans, tomatoes

Avoid things that are cheap to buy/ or otherwise not worth the space/effort. Carrots are pennies for a pound at the greengrocers. Yet they take up a fair amount of garden space, and are prone to pests like carrot fly. Therefore not worth the hassle, when that same piece of ground could have been used for rocket & other salads, saving maybe £5 a week in shopping and providing spare rocket for a few big jars of pesto.

Avoid things that are dependant on certain weather conditions, because the weather will do exactly the opposite. Aubergines and sweet peppers were disasters for me due to damp conditions and a lack of sunlight.

Good advice Noddy.

I don't have a garden at the moment but I'd love to grow my own things when I do get one.

I've grown, or at least attempted to grow most things over the last few years. My gardening philosophy has been distilled to the following:

Grow things that are relatively expensive to buy, yet easy and plentiful to grow. Pak Choi, Rocket, Soft fruit.

Grow things that taste so much better when home grown. Peas, runner beans, tomatoes

Avoid things that are cheap to buy/ or otherwise not worth the space/effort. Carrots are pennies for a pound at the greengrocers. Yet they take up a fair amount of garden space, and are prone to pests like carrot fly. Therefore not worth the hassle, when that same piece of ground could have been used for rocket & other salads, saving maybe £5 a week in shopping and providing spare rocket for a few big jars of pesto.

Avoid things that are dependant on certain weather conditions, because the weather will do exactly the opposite. Aubergines and sweet peppers were disasters for me due to damp conditions and a lack of sunlight.

Useful - I may just have a little rethink on what goes in. Need to think about getting a small greenhouse if I am going to do this properly.

I grow about 8 different varieties of chilli in my conservatory but germination has been poor this year. Still time for another go though so all not lost. First tomatoes just poking through so looking good, though Mrs Wilf is on the warpath as no Sungold germinated!

Everything for outside on hold - snow only cleared the garden middle of last week. Broad beans took forever to germinate but over the last couple of days loads have appeared. Just need a bit of warmth to get them planted out.

Wish I could start a big Veggie patch but with all the critters and deer around it would cost a fortune in rigging something up to keep the buggers out,and just don't think it would be worth the time and effort . Chillis , Tomatoes and Blueberry's is about all I try my hand at these days. Saying that , I don't think me Blueberry bushes have survived the Winter by the looks of em.

On the garden front, I constructed 1 greenhouse today. It is up & almost full. The other cover still hasn't arrived, & I really would like it to arrive this week.

I did intend to put my polytunnel up this week, but am going to give it another week or 2 before I do.

Planted my flowers for the hanging baskets etc.

Did want to get some other tubs today after the recent poundland purchase. Haven't been able to though. Will do so next weekend I guess.

Next weekend will see round 2 of much plantings - carrots, beetroot and lettuce will be planted. Round 2 of tomatoes will probably be the weekend after...

Spuds are in their bags.
Tumbling Toms are in their hanging basket.
Rocket and Blueberries going in pots next week.

It was great being out in the sun yesterday doing a bit of gardening.
I'm not a fanatic and not very knowledgeable but I do enjoy the little bits that I do.

Original seed potatoes did not 'chit' properly, but found a new place today where they were already ready to go, but this afternoon temperature drops by approx. 10 degrees & it feels like we are back in winter again!

Possibly had my Spring on Saturday! I have no idea what this buggered weather is doing. I now have French bean plants in the spare bedroom as not sure that we will not get a frost again tonight.

I have sproutage! :happy:
It seems that both the carrots and beetroot are popping out of the soil.
Lettuce too. Happy to see that. Planted a 2nd batch of lettuce today. Will plant a 3rd in a fortnight so trying to get a proper conveyor belt going there. Got some great tubs for lettuce from poundstretcher.

Still nothing on the tomato front - despite the fact that it has only been 2 weeks, & it'll be another 2 weeks yet. Whilst I am not worrying about them (yet), I'm wanting to check every other day to see!

I planted some flowers for baskets/bee attraction. Only did that last weekend & one lot of flowers is showing already (dunno which ones - I only really pay attention to the labels when it is edible).

Must get the 2nd lot of carrots an beetroot, as well as the onions out this weekend. Last lot of flowers will need planting then too.

Back