• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The "Grow Your Own" Thread

The veg patch from conception to fruition....
249176_10201230866437697_1531203126_n.jpg

Who have you killed and buried?

The veg patch from conception to fruition....
249176_10201230866437697_1531203126_n.jpg

I like the escape tunnel at one end!

People thought the wife had buried me when she posted that one!
Moved all the paving slabs and moved the dirt (removing the stones and bricks) and discovered the landlords builders had buried the manhole cover for the drains!

For once a beautiful evening in the West Country so just off out to water & check on the beds (the Broad Beans look as if they are doing well)

PPB - sweet corn is quite hard to grow, tried some last year with no success (that could of course have been due to the extremely crap weather we had)

LJ - worms good, ants no idea!

It seems to do well around where I live Parkin, fields and fields of the stuff !! Probably too much rain for it to do any good where you are. My garden has full sun all day so i'm hoping it does well. Think its prone to Flea Beetles and cornworms so will have to be on the alert. It it grows i'll be happy. If it doesn't ,I'll still be happy, happy that at least I had a go :)

I've had a decent stab at it this year, in fact I probably went a little over the top.

My first 'crop' should be ready in a week, my radishes are showing promise! My runner beans seem intent on growing anywhere except up the bamboo poles though, getting most frustrating.

I've not had much success with my fruit though, I bought a pear tree that appears to be a dud, along with about half a dozen raspberries and blackberries, absolutely nothing, although the last spell of snow might have seen them off

I'm not sure I'll have as good a tomato crop as usual. The number of seeds that have sprouted is a lower %age than previous years (so far at least).

The only thing disappointing me so far, is no sign of life from the ginger I'm trying to grow.

darlo - super pics there fella! If I could be bothered to get a flickr account I'd post some myself.

I grew some toms from seed lemon but had a wobble and bought a couple of plants the other week, the seedlings are still very small although they could do with repotting, not sure if ill get anything off them now

It seems to do well around where I live Parkin, fields and fields of the stuff !! Probably too much rain for it to do any good where you are. My garden has full sun all day so i'm hoping it does well. Think its prone to Flea Beetles and cornworms so will have to be on the alert. It it grows i'll be happy. If it doesn't ,I'll still be happy, happy that at least I had a go :)

Probably true - we have had a bit of rain over the last year :facepalm:

Still the apple tree has a mass of blossoms at the moment so expect a big crop from that this year

Probably true - we have had a bit of rain over the last year :facepalm:

Still the apple tree has a mass of blossoms at the moment so expect a big crop from that this year

Think my two Opple trees want chopping down. Not had fruit ( that is edible ) from them for 2 years. All the Opples have black all on em :(

I grew some toms from seed lemon but had a wobble and bought a couple of plants the other week, the seedlings are still very small although they could do with repotting, not sure if ill get anything off them now

I guess I'm had a lower %age as I've used seeds that have been knocking around for a couple of years.

If you repot yours into bigger pots I'm sure the plants will develop & you'll get some fruit this year!

I guess I'm had a lower %age as I've used seeds that have been knocking around for a couple of years.

If you repot yours into bigger pots I'm sure the plants will develop & you'll get some fruit this year!

Cheers I might well do that if I get chance the weekend, I've got a lot of work to do this weekend in the garden, the gaffers got some jobs lined up for me too the weekend so I'll have my work cut out!

Keep them in pots, & if possible in a greenhouse. They need warm roots.
When I grow tomatoes I'm repotting through the year into bigger pots.

Done a lot of weeding. Still lots to do mind!
Repotted the flowers into tubs.
Put the hanging basket out.
Thinned out way too many carrots. Also noticed the carrots in the polytunnel thing are showing sproutage!
Only bad news, is still no movement on the ginger.

Will need to repot first toms, cucumber and beetroot next weekend...

Gentlemen, tell me this...

I'm told that Tomato Feed is great for many early and young plants, even hedging that's just going in. Is it good also for Lavender Bushes?

Honestly WH, no idea. You're not supposed to put feed on toms until they have flowers anyway.
I'm only really interested in growing stuff I can eat! :icon_lol:

Gentlemen, tell me this...

I'm told that Tomato Feed is great for many early and young plants, even hedging that's just going in. Is it good also for Lavender Bushes?

Lavender don't normally need feeding or watering, WH. If they're in a pot, you could give them a bit of liquid feed once each spring, but it's not really necessary. Just a gentle prune, avoiding cutting into old wood, at the end of the season and you're done.

Back