• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The "Grow Your Own" Thread

Got me mini polytunnel out this weekend. Planted within said item is carrots and onions (mainly to keep carrotfly away).

Still have to plant a few hanging basket bits n bobs, as well as the 2nd batch of carrots this weekend.

There's been a bit of sunshine recently, hoping that bodes well for growing weather...

Had a chat with one of the parents of the school I work at who runs an organic fruit & veg business. Have been offered plants (broad beans/lettuce/tomatoes/leeks) ready to go in now at minimal cost

:)

To lemon & Parkin, you both seem like really keen growers. Do you do it for the feeling of satisfaction you get from growing and eating your own veggies ? To me it seems like a lot of work goes into it ( and probably money ) when I can just go to the farmers market down the road and get produce for cents.

Not especially - I am somewhat of a novice as its only since I moved to this house a couple of years ago that I have had the space. The Veg beds were already here (though as the house had not been lived in for six months before & the garden left to run wild I thought there was only one, only to find 2 more when I cleared the mass of 4ft high weeds from the back half of the garden). Had the choice of removing them or using them.

Find I am getting more into it now - good for exercise & cheaper than a gym. Food from it does however seem to taste better than shop bought, though that might be psychological.

To lemon & Parkin, you both seem like really keen growers. Do you do it for the feeling of satisfaction you get from growing and eating your own veggies ? To me it seems like a lot of work goes into it ( and probably money ) when I can just go to the farmers market down the road and get produce for cents.

I started because someone gave me some tomato seeds, & changing jobs meant I had spare time. I thought "this can't be too hard, all you do is put some seeds in some mud & it'll grow". Basically, that is true!

Firstly, a lot of stuff tastes so much better. Partly because you grew it yourself, but also because it isn't force grown to grow very quickly (too quickly to develop).
I don't think I save any real money as a result, because you buy compost, pots, a greenhouse etc. But I have to say it isn't really hard work. Yes you turn the graden & might have a few days of heavy digging a year, plus a few days of weeding too, but a lot of other stuff isn't hard work.

It is actually very relaxing & therapuetic after a hard days work to get home & potter about, watering, looking if stuff needs repotting into bigger pots and suchlike. I found that it is a very de-stressing past-time, which is great. The enjoyment from such pottering is wonderful, & the main reason I carried on. It's got bigger each year, as I keep trying to grow something different.

It's also lovely to share what you've grown with someone. My dad fell out with me last year when I didn't grow any cucumbers (he thinks they're lovely, but can't stand shop bought ones). Some friends have been genuinely shocked at how flavour-some home grown can be.

It is actually very relaxing & therapuetic after a hard days work to get home & potter about, watering, looking if stuff needs repotting into bigger pots and suchlike. I found that it is a very de-stressing past-time, which is great.

Agree with this - just spent a good hour in the sun planting out French & runner beans plus some lettuce (all free from my Organic veg supplier). Really relaxing after work so a good end to the day (double bonus 'tit Monday' has finally reached the West County as well)

My 2nd greenhouse cover has arrived.
That means I can't wait to get outside this weekend & plant a few more seeds!

watered under the polytunnel today, & saw evidence of those vile slugs!
2nd greenhouse cover had arrived this week though, so put that up.

Been busy pottering otherwise - 2nd batch of tomatoes planted (can see the shoots of 2 plants in the first tray planted!)

Planted more beetroot in a large tub. Planted a few more carrots and onions.

Also planted out 3 hanging baskets for colour & bee encouragement. Noticed that the flowers I planted in the 3 trays a few weeks ago are now also starting to come through.

Been using some of the "home made" compost too for the first time.

Only thing with no movement at all, is the ginger...

Planted some Kale into pots and when they're growing will move to the raised bed. 4 of them will take up half that space so I'm still deciding to what to put next to them. The wife has bought some salads on a strip so I expect they will go in.

We did aubergines last year and had loads of them but after trying them deciding I can't stand the things so I won't be doing them again.

I have some herbs currently sprouting on my windowsill. Basil, thyme, dill and coriander. Also tried planting some chilli seeds from chillis from the supermarket, not sure how much success I will have with those though.

Fresh herbs are ace.

We bought a chilli plant yesterday - hopefully it will keep us sorted for a while!

More gardeners! :happy:

The zealot in me peeked last night and I could definitely see another couple of tomatoes popping through!

Cucumbers are also popping through which is great. Next weekend will see the 3rd batch of lettuce planted, plus possibly the first round of re-potting! Think I'll have some carrots to thin out etc.

EdgeoftheAlps, thought about courgettes? Low maintenance, & usually get a decent crop from very few plants.

More gardeners! :happy:

The zealot in me peeked last night and I could definitely see another couple of tomatoes popping through!

Cucumbers are also popping through which is great. Next weekend will see the 3rd batch of lettuce planted, plus possibly the first round of re-potting! Think I'll have some carrots to thin out etc.

EdgeoftheAlps, thought about courgettes? Low maintenance, & usually get a decent crop from very few plants.

I hope you lot are gonna take pictures of your crops when they are fully grown, I want to see who has grown the best looking Tomatoes and the biggest cucumbers !

It ain't about how they look PPB. It is about how they taste...:atigrou:

Stuff in the shops tends to be force grown. That means it is grown into a particular style or shape that we expect, & will frequently be coloured accordingly too.

Homegrown stuff is completely au naturel, in that it is allowed to develop naturally. Therefore you can end up with some funny shaped but delicious veg!
http://www.organicauthority.com/foodie-buzz/most-suggestive-vegetables-on-earth.html

That's exactly why I want to see some photo's !!

Love the Pepper Peckers , but you wouldn't know whether to eat em or just suck em !!

Having a go at Sweetcorn this year. Never tried growing any before .

So have just been outside watering, & starting some of the major weeding I need to do.

I noticed that one of my composters has a significant amount of ants in & around it.
Is this going to be a problem? Or could it be a good sign?

I planned to start using some of it for repotting over the next couple of days. Looks like I need to repot a few carrots, my cucumber, and some of the beetroot that I started off in trays. Busy weekend then!

For once a beautiful evening in the West Country so just off out to water & check on the beds (the Broad Beans look as if they are doing well)

PPB - sweet corn is quite hard to grow, tried some last year with no success (that could of course have been due to the extremely crap weather we had)

LJ - worms good, ants no idea!

The veg patch from conception to fruition....
249176_10201230866437697_1531203126_n.jpg

217140_10201230866837707_1269900227_n.jpg

945255_10201230867077713_1473020272_n.jpg

Back