• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Mental Health thread

Not sure if I’m alone on this one but I have huge tech phobia, ie I constantly think my work computer, email, iPhone etc will be hacked.
Might not seem much but I’ve got a lot of information on my computer all password encrypted backed up on passport and a cloud. But the slightest glitches I assume it’s a virus, malware etc
It’s horribly draining, those who’re reading pls don’t give me tech advice or tips as it’ll probably panic me even more.

Not sure if I’m alone on this one but I have huge tech phobia, ie I constantly think my work computer, email, iPhone etc will be hacked.
Might not seem much but I’ve got a lot of information on my computer all password encrypted backed up on passport and a cloud. But the slightest glitches I assume it’s a virus, malware etc
It’s horribly draining, those who’re reading pls don’t give me tech advice or tips as it’ll probably panic me even more.
Progress is being made in slow steps. The Internet happened very, very quickly on a societal scale and unfortunately folks like us are living through the growing pains.

Be judicious and aware of the risks when you click a link or attachment and you should be fine. 99% of hacks aren't because the hacker is/was particularly gifted on the tech side; they happen because the hacker finds a way to get the keys to the car handed to them.

I realize this is the exact opposite of what you asked for but hopefully it's helpful anyway. 😅

Progress is being made in slow steps. The Internet happened very, very quickly on a societal scale and unfortunately folks like us are living through the growing pains.

Be judicious and aware of the risks when you click a link or attachment and you should be fine. 99% of hacks aren't because the hacker is/was particularly gifted on the tech side; they happen because the hacker finds a way to get the keys to the car handed to them.

I realize this is the exact opposite of what you asked for but hopefully it's helpful anyway. 😅
[/QUOTE]

My paranoia means I never go near an email that I don’t recognise

My personal PC has never been hacked. Ever.

Just down to regular care. Not opening links in emails, closing pop-ups, always having an Antivirus running of some description. Basic stuff.

My personal PC has never been hacked. Ever.

Just down to regular care. Not opening links in emails, closing pop-ups, always having an Antivirus running of some description. Basic stuff.

Pretty much what I do tech guys give it once over every 6 months also.

Not in the spirit of the post but I can't recommend setting up two factor authentication enough. Most things can be configured to send you a text or ask you to confirm something on your phone. Just make sure your phone is passcode protected too.

What @Alan says is right too, you're already suspicious enough to not be an easy target. Hackers will target either easy targets or high-value (like organisations)

Great shout on 2FA; I'd say at minimum that should be turned on for any online account you have that interacts with, say, your bank accounts or credit cards.

Generally I'd recommend 2FA on every account that allows for it, but understand it can be a hassle for something you don't dump PII (Personally Identifiable Information) into.

Great shout on 2FA; I'd say at minimum that should be turned on for any online account you have that interacts with, say, your bank accounts or credit cards.

Generally I'd recommend 2FA on every account that allows for it, but understand it can be a hassle for something you don't dump PII (Personally Identifiable Information) into.

Yeah my email accounts are all 2FA my online banking is 2FA or face recognition.
Thing that triggered me most was in august was searching online and nothing unusual or dodgy and a recaptcha message come up from google saying unusual internet activity detected. Then did the pictures and it was fine I went into meltdown, mrs had to come home from work to make sure I was ok absolutely horrible experience.

Nothing to be ashamed of, mate. It sounds like you're doing the right things to protect yourself and your data.

Nothing to be ashamed of, mate. It sounds like you're doing the right things to protect yourself and your data.

I think it’s dealing with the aftermath afterwards wouldn’t even know where to begin to resolve it.

Do you mind if I ask if any other parts of your life affect you in the same way?

It depends my brain I’ll always search for something to worry about ie if I got a huge tax bill the tech worry would be forgotten as it wouldn’t be the most pressing issue at the time. I have been diagnosed with suffering from OCD

It depends my brain I’ll always search for something to worry about ie if I got a huge tax bill the tech worry would be forgotten as it wouldn’t be the most pressing issue at the time. I have been diagnosed with suffering from OCD
Sounds familiar. I always feel like I ‘need’ to have something to worry over.

It’s just bizzare how somethings can cause severe worry and not others just in the process of emigration and you’d think I’d be worried but I’m taking it in my stride. Get an email stating unusual activity then meltdown.

Yep it can be cruel at times amount of times I have woken feeling good then in the shower, drive to work something slips in or triggers and that’s it the days ruined.

Yep it can be cruel at times amount of times I have woken feeling good then in the shower, drive to work something slips in or triggers and that’s it the days ruined.
Please forgive me, have you spoken to a GP or anything about this?

I've been really lucky and had some tremendous telephone support around how to deal with crippling anxiety.

Please forgive me, have you spoken to a GP or anything about this?

I've been really lucky and had some tremendous telephone support around how to deal with crippling anxiety.

I have and I’m in counselling, I’m also medicated on anti depressants and beta blockers. Reality is I’m far better than I was 6 months ago but occasionally have periods of relapse and do struggle more around xmas time.
I do things I enjoy more to ie Walking and reading, gardening and art which I find very therapeutic.

I will say exchanging some thoughts on here does help to it might not seem much but it does ease things knowing that there is support in a lot of places much appreciated everyone who has offered support tonight and in the past.

I have and I’m in counselling, I’m also medicated on anti depressants and beta blockers. Reality is I’m far better than I was 6 months ago but occasionally have periods of relapse and do struggle more around xmas time.
I do things I enjoy more to ie Walking and reading, gardening and art which I find very therapeutic.
That's good to hear! Doing things we enjoy is good for the soul!

Back