• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Mental Health thread

I have and I’m in counselling, I’m also medicated on anti depressants and beta blockers. Reality is I’m far better than I was 6 months ago but occasionally have periods of relapse and do struggle more around xmas time.
I do things I enjoy more to ie Walking and reading, gardening and art which I find very therapeutic.
I think/feel we have to be pragmatic and understand and appreciate that a lot of people do struggle more at this time of year. After all, it is very cold, dark very early, sunlight is limited, we can be restricted on what activities we are able to engage in to benefit our mental health - you mention walking, and I have been "encouraging" myself to go out and engage in evening walks in the darkness, and have to say I have found benefits to doing that now I have gotten more comfortable with it.
It's also really important imo that you are as conscious as possible of the positive steps you have taken, and that you are so much better than you were 6 months ago as identified in your post. Of course, that's not how MH works, as we tend to focus on the difficulties rather than the good steps taken and improvements we have noticed.

I've been really lucky and had some tremendous telephone support around how to deal with crippling anxiety.

It was decades before I even realised I suffered from anxiety. I was always pretty comfortable in most social situations, was getting my head down and using my limited resources wisely - I mean, anxiety can be a good thing right? - it’s one of the emotional regulators, an alarm bell that tells you something needs approaching with caution, which keeps you safe and stops you making catastrophic mistakes. You do sensible things like having mortgages and plotting a cautious path and avoiding disaster because you are thinking, and thinking is the key, because thinking avoids the disaster, and so you think some more, and more, you want to be aware of the pitfalls, but now you can only see negatives, challenges are insurmountable obstacles, opportunities are lost and you retreat to caution. It’s incredibly debilitating.

You recognise to break this cycle you need courage, but you don’t have it. And now you chastise yourself for lack of courage. You go away and think… because that’s the solution. You become aware you might be overthinking…. is that anxiety? - No… it’s being sensible, you are accountable and taking responsibility for your actions in a ‘every-tiny-thing-that-might-have-gone-wrong-in-your-life-is-you-fault-because-you-have-affected-it’s-outcome’ kind of way. But hold on, you know that is too harsh and doesn’t feel right but you can’t stop it. You go for a walk to clear your head but you just think, and now you are overthinking why you might be….. overthinking. You don’t appreciate how fortunate you are, you wonder what is wrong with you and what life would be like if you were a different or more courageous person. You’re in a spiral, you’ve sucked the pleasure out of life and you are in danger of doing that to those around you that you love too. And trust me guys that is a trap you don’t want to find yourself in.

Things came to a head during lockdown when naturally we all had a bit too much time to think. A pandemic and the instinctive desire to catastrophize meant anxiety levels that were previously manageable were driven to heights where there was no option but to talk. I was incredibly fortunate to have stability and good caring people around, people who understood and were able to give perspective and balance and can honestly say things are much happier and clearer now in a way they’ve never been before. Occasionally you feel things running away with you again but talking early to those you trust gives you the jolt to get things back into perspective pretty quickly.

In retrospect, internalising everything is impossible. Character and temperament flaws run out of control and the outcomes of that are just never good at all, so please guys just talk.

So sincere apologies if that’s just self-indulgent rambling nonsense, but it’s a MH thread and with its relative anonymity can be very cathartic to write. If it’s at all helpful to anyone in any way whatsoever that would be a great thing too.

It was decades before I even realised I suffered from anxiety. I was always pretty comfortable in most social situations, was getting my head down and using my limited resources wisely - I mean, anxiety can be a good thing right? - it’s one of the emotional regulators, an alarm bell that tells you something needs approaching with caution, which keeps you safe and stops you making catastrophic mistakes. You do sensible things like having mortgages and plotting a cautious path and avoiding disaster because you are thinking, and thinking is the key, because thinking avoids the disaster, and so you think some more, and more, you want to be aware of the pitfalls, but now you can only see negatives, challenges are insurmountable obstacles, opportunities are lost and you retreat to caution. It’s incredibly debilitating.

You recognise to break this cycle you need courage, but you don’t have it. And now you chastise yourself for lack of courage. You go away and think… because that’s the solution. You become aware you might be overthinking…. is that anxiety? - No… it’s being sensible, you are accountable and taking responsibility for your actions in a ‘every-tiny-thing-that-might-have-gone-wrong-in-your-life-is-you-fault-because-you-have-affected-it’s-outcome’ kind of way. But hold on, you know that is too harsh and doesn’t feel right but you can’t stop it. You go for a walk to clear your head but you just think, and now you are overthinking why you might be….. overthinking. You don’t appreciate how fortunate you are, you wonder what is wrong with you and what life would be like if you were a different or more courageous person. You’re in a spiral, you’ve sucked the pleasure out of life and you are in danger of doing that to those around you that you love too. And trust me guys that is a trap you don’t want to find yourself in.

Things came to a head during lockdown when naturally we all had a bit too much time to think. A pandemic and the instinctive desire to catastrophize meant anxiety levels that were previously manageable were driven to heights where there was no option but to talk. I was incredibly fortunate to have stability and good caring people around, people who understood and were able to give perspective and balance and can honestly say things are much happier and clearer now in a way they’ve never been before. Occasionally you feel things running away with you again but talking early to those you trust gives you the jolt to get things back into perspective pretty quickly.

In retrospect, internalising everything is impossible. Character and temperament flaws run out of control and the outcomes of that are just never good at all, so please guys just talk.

So sincere apologies if that’s just self-indulgent rambling nonsense, but it’s a MH thread and with its relative anonymity can be very cathartic to write. If it’s at all helpful to anyone in any way whatsoever that would be a great thing too.

First thing is you never have to apologise for sharing your thoughts and experiences on this thread. It’s completely not self indulgence either. As said before what you’ve experienced or experiencing no doubt somebody reading can relate to it.
Writing things down can really help sometimes, the great thing about this thread is it is free from judgement.

I can totally relate to this mate. Anything that went well, regardless of how hard / good it was, was to be a expected. Anything that went poorly was because I was a stupid idiot and should have known better.

Most of the time I could manage it, but when lots of things all start happening all at the same time it becomes too much and my expectations of myself become totally unrealistic. I'd believe my own self telling him how poor I was and any external views telling me I was doing well (promotions, appraisals, family, words from colleagues etc) were just ignored.

I ended up catastrophising (sp?) and end up reducing myself to doing nothing. I had a few bouts of stress related sick leave. A few times I've wanted to quit my job because things were too much, but thankfully I didn't. I'm doing better now and have learned to recognise when things start building up. Meditation has been amazing as has simply writing down my anxieties and working through them (what evidence is there that my feelings are true, would they stand up in court, if they are true what can be done etc). Even writing stuff down helped me switch off, and nothing is ever as bad as it seems at 3.00AM. it's also a good thing to write down something you've done well or are proud of, no matter how small.

I'm also proud of how I'm dealing with something I used to find so debilitating and I think that's key. Sometimes its so hard to say well done to yourself but it's ok to do it :). It's the same as training to run a marathon or something, you put the work in and see better outcomes.

Above all be kind to yourself.

Sorry for the random ramble!

It's an old cliché, but it's nice to know I'm not the only one out here with the sort of anxiety that could suitably be called "crippling" at times.

We're always better than we think we are, ay? Just gotta trick ourselves into remembering it.

The MD of the company I work for ran this weekend's Great North Run.

The company are entering a team for the Ravenscroft Marathon Relay!! (Standard Chartered Marathon).

Lucy, Jon, Graeme, Maggie and Nick, will be running in aid of Mind Jersey. We hope to support the excellent work they do, and raise awareness of mental health in Jersey.

Copcoy as a company are due to donate £500.00 towards our target. Any further funds are gratefully received, for this wonderful cause.

Just come across this thread and saw an opportunity to vent.
Unsure what I'd call it but had a dark cloud over me for a couple of years now, i haven't told anyone and just sort of gone through the motions everyday, doing what's expected, conversations pass me by and I generally have very little interest in anything.
I became ill about 3 years ago and had a triple bypass 2 years ago, had complications during the op and was kept unconscious/ventilated for 4 days, instead of about 8 hrs.
Since then I've lost interest in everything , I have a loving partner/kids who care and would do anything me, but at times I could just walk away and keep walking.
I don't seem to feel emotional at any time, my uncle passed away a few weeks ago and I was just indifferent, other similar feelings when things have happened too, wish I could understand why? Suppose I should talk to someone, but we don't open up do we, we just plod on putting stuff on, to make others happy.

Last edited:
Unsure what I'd call it but had a dark cloud over me for a couple of years now, i haven't told anyone and just sort of gone through the motions everyday, doing what's expected, conversations pass me by and I generally have very little interest in anything.
I became ill about 3 years ago and had a triple bypass 2 years ago, had complications during the op and was kept unconscious/ventilated for 4 days, instead of about 8 hrs.
Since then I've lost interest in everything , I have a loving partner/kids who care and would do anything me, but at times I could just walk away and keep walking.
I don't seem to feel emotional at any time, my uncle passed away a few weeks ago and I was just indifferent, other similar feelings when things have happened too, wish I could understand why? Suppose I should talk to someone, but we don't open up do we, we just plod on putting stuff on, to make others happy.
It's not a fight you should be forced to handle by yourself. I know from experience how difficult it is; at least with me it's always about not wanting to burden someone, especially someone I care about. I don't want to drag them down in the shit with me.

But depression isn't quite that strong, though it often feels as such. Reaching out to someone is almost always going to do more good than harm, and it may even strengthen the trust between you and your human life vest. I know that believing that can feel nearly impossible, though.

Hang in there, Pagey.

From personal experience, best thing you can do is open up but you have to be ready to do it. Don't feel forced into it.

Doesn't need to be a professional either, just talking to a friend, family member or anyone really can lift a weight. Stay strong mate

The first step is recognising it and admitting it to yourself, so well done!

As others have said just finding someone to talk to about stuff is really helpful, it doesn't even need to be anyone you know - sometimes it's better to talk to a stranger about things. It's worth trying your GP, but if you don't fancy that (or can't get through!) it might be worth trying these guys :-

There is a webchat if you don't fancy talking to anyone just yet

It's just like any other health concern, you wouldn't put up with a broke leg so don't feel like there is nothing you can do about this either.

The other thing i'd recommend is a meditation app on your phone, i use something called MindfullnessApp - it really helps centre me.

I went through the exact same lack of emotion for a very long time, mine was down to a toxic relationship. Nothing excited me, I didn’t look forward to anything, I did things because it’s what you do. On the flip side nothing really upset me, I was just emotionally dead and was more than happy for life to pass me by while I watched.
I didn’t know if it was depression or that the ex wife had just killed every little bit of emotion in me and I still don’t know. It’s getting better now but it’s still far from normal, and it’s only really when I started talking about the stuff I’d bottled up for years that it changed.

Definitely talk to someone, don’t just carry on thinking you have to deal with this yourself, and certainly don’t ignore it.

I went through the exact same lack of emotion for a very long time, mine was down to a toxic relationship. Nothing excited me, I didn’t look forward to anything, I did things because it’s what you do. On the flip side nothing really upset me, I was just emotionally dead and was more than happy for life to pass me by while I watched.
I didn’t know if it was depression or that the ex wife had just killed every little bit of emotion in me and I still don’t know. It’s getting better now but it’s still far from normal, and it’s only really when I started talking about the stuff I’d bottled up for years that it changed.

Definitely talk to someone, don’t just carry on thinking you have to deal with this yourself, and certainly don’t ignore it.
That's exactly how I have felt for a couple of years, since the operation though, only thing I can put it down to is the op. Always had a great relationship and a decent life, just can't move on from been woken up in icu, on the saturday of Newcastle at home, when I should have been home by then. Its bloody weird.

Will make an appointment with Dr's next week.

Thanks for all your replies.

That's exactly how I have felt for a couple of years, since the operation though, only thing I can put it down to is the op. Always had a great relationship and a decent life, just can't move on from been woken up in icu, on the saturday of Newcastle at home, when I should have been home by then. Its bloody weird.

Will make an appointment with Dr's next week.

Thanks for all your replies.
Least you know the cause, or at least think you know. It’s a solid starting point. That and recognising the problem is a big step mate, let us know how you get on.

Brilliant messaging.

I can't stress enough how important it is to talk, sometimes I don't want to, I pretty much never *enjoy* talking about it when times are tough but it is what it is. No-one will ever think any the less of you for doing so, well no-one who's worth bothering with anyway.

Never in a million years did I think I'd be reguarly chatting to a stranger on the phone about having a breakdown. It really helped though and not sure I would have properly got back on my feet without it. Do talk if you can, before that happens ideally as it's not fun.

No-one will ever think any the less of you for doing so, well no-one who's worth bothering with anyway.

I think sometimes it can be very difficult to find the right person to talk to, and it can be a big ask to expect that person to process and handle what you are saying sensitively and in a way that is helpful. There are unfortunately people who do think less of you and as you say they are best kept away from the moment you realise that.

I’m having a bit of a quiet spell at the moment, I’ve not been thinking with any clarity and sleeping very badly. Mortality is on my mind a lot with my poor sister and my elderly parents and the amount of time I’m ‘down’ is concerning, despite having some other really lovely, positive things happening too. I guess that’s a symptom of depression with the lows overwhelming any highs, but despite anxiety spoke of previously had never really considered depression at any time before.

I do talk with friends, but to be honest made the mistake of not choosing who I spoke with carefully enough and found some of the ‘advice’ quite hurtful. I suppose with new friendship groups that’s always a risk but it does make you think of those that need to talk but sometimes have no one.

I’ve got rid of all social media (except here (sorry guys)) and stay away from the news (the Israel/Palestine conflict freaks me out and the burying of the head in the sand itself comes with guilt). It’s about finding a quiet place to put things back in order and for the time being that feels like at home with my lovely lady wife. Thank goodness for her and I hope anyone that needs to talk is able to find the right place to do that.

That piece from Norwich City is just incredible. Moved me to tears.

Back