• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Mental Health thread

Fucking disgusting how many online sellers have emailed with a tenuous link to beating the monday blues, or a variation on it.
Fucks sake people. Maybe the obsession with materialism or money is part of the problem?
& is there nothing you will not exploit for lucre?

I had a pretty bad episode on Thursday, GP wanted me to take time off but as I’m in a situation where if I don’t work I don’t get paid so it’s no option although it would probably help.
Been put on beater blockers to bring the anxiety down.

Fucking disgusting how many online sellers have emailed with a tenuous link to beating the monday blues, or a variation on it.
Fucks sake people. Maybe the obsession with materialism or money is part of the problem?
& is there nothing you will not exploit for lucre?

I don't think so, I think the research proves that it is emotional triggers not material wealth that are critical to mental health well being.

Potentially true johnny, however how much anxiety/stress is placed in material possessions? To what extent do we measure ourselves by what we have accumulated? Status envy, and comparing ourselves with others because they have newer cars/phones/nicer holidays and so on. Driving demand by playing on anxiety is poor - the inference if one doesn't have the latest iphone for example. Conversely, think of how we feel these things will make our life better, and how long that feeling actually lasts...

I had a pretty bad episode on Thursday, GP wanted me to take time off but as I’m in a situation where if I don’t work I don’t get paid so it’s no option although it would probably help.
Been put on beater blockers to bring the anxiety down.

beta blockers are more to manage the physical symptoms, such as racing heart etc. I think.
make sure you're making time for self care mate. Don't get over-working.

Potentially true johnny, however how much anxiety/stress is placed in material possessions? To what extent do we measure ourselves by what we have accumulated? Status envy, and comparing ourselves with others because they have newer cars/phones/nicer holidays and so on. Driving demand by playing on anxiety is poor - the inference if one doesn't have the latest iphone for example. Conversely, think of how we feel these things will make our life better, and how long that feeling actually lasts...

In my experience, people who say "XYZ is shit in my life, I am depressed" or "this shit event has happened, I am depressed" are missing the point. Probably not wilfully, but still. There's a massive difference between having a shit time (which I know full well is no picnic, and of course you will feel "down", for want of a better word) and having a medical condition.

If I'm in a bad spiral it doesn't matter whether I've got £1 or £1,000,000 in my bank account.

I agree mate. I'm not arguing that having material things (or lacking them) is the cause of MH issues. I'm floating the idea that social pressures on us to have the latest must have item(s), or to fit in with what is deigned to be a marker of success/affluence can have implications for peoples self esteem, self perception, and self worth, thus impacting on their mental health.

I think it is more likely that we can kid ourselves (rather than other people) that X, Y or Z will be the solution to our problems. We build up things (a pay rise for example) as being the solution, whereas in reality it isn't the solution we anticipate it will be.

In my experience material things can absolutely be a stressor that sets off a depressive relapse. That goes both ways: either having something or not having something can each be evil in their own way.

It's a good read Dan... at about 03-20 I saw you had posted at 02-21 and I nearly messaged you to ask why you were up and about and if you are ok. I'm on nights and nearly off home so if you need to talk tonight, I'll be here again. I'm there if you want to let off some steam or just talk, mate

Funnily enough sleeping has been an issue for the last couple of months :) Along with everything fucking else.

I'm ok mate. Not that I would ever pass up the opportunity of talking to you. But I'm hanging in there.

Funnily enough sleeping has been an issue for the last couple of months :) Along with everything fucking else.

I'm ok mate. Not that I would ever pass up the opportunity of talking to you. But I'm hanging in there.

Glad you're hanging in... Got a little bit on my mind too, not so much a "mental health" issue but long night shifts on your own tends to allow stuff to be mulled over.

I've been feeling really lethargic and tired for a couple of months and with a few other symptoms I finally bit the bullet yesterday and went to my doctors. He confirmed the nagging doubts I had and has diagnosed an enlarged Prostate and so the tests will begin. The initial tests can't be carried out for a week after an exam (can't beat a finger up your bum, well you can!) so I now have a week of the 3 "W's", wondering, worrying and waiting before I can have any tests and then will have to wait for the results so I guess night shift isn't ideal.
Ah well, no point getting unduly worked up about it until I get some kind of results and I always tend to look at a best case scenario so onwards I go...

I know that this is a Mental Health thread and there are plenty of people on here who have shown great courage to write their experiences down to hopefully help others so I hope you all don't mind me taking this a little off track

Dan - you’re not allowed to do yourself in, as who else will write about Wolves triumphing against Barcelona in the Camp Nou in the CL in 3 years time with such humour and superb use of the English language??

I know that my whole thought process regarding myself becomes entirely irrational. I can see all that, but it’s like that’s some outside party observing matters. I suppose none of this is meant to be rational. That’s the nature of what I’ve got. As much as I hate to be defined by my condition, at this kind of time, I have to be. Which in turn, doesn’t help my own view of things.
This is the bit that resonated with me the most.

Deutsch, it being a cathartic exercise doesn't make it wrong or futile.

Darlo - don't be stressing more than is necessary. And use your support network around you. The 3 w's can impact hugely on MH. Speak to you saturday sir.

I just need to change things around. I've had coping mechanisms for a while and they've been great, they aren't working any more. So I need to find some other way to deal with things. It's not easy but I've got to sort something out, I don't have any choice in the matter.

Fixing belief in my own work will take a lot longer to sort out but again, I need to do it.

I just need to change things around. I've had coping mechanisms for a while and they've been great, they aren't working any more. So I need to find some other way to deal with things. It's not easy but I've got to sort something out, I don't have any choice in the matter.

Fixing belief in my own work will take a lot longer to sort out but again, I need to do it.

Dan get yourself a woman, no, perhaps not, we're more trouble than we're worth!!

Seriously, hope you find other ways that work for you, and that you continue with your writing.

Sorry to hear this Dan & am sure that you will find another way (can't help unfortunately as been very lucky and not really suffered for anything other than a short term work related situation some 12 years ago)

I for one would miss your writing 'rambles' - a beacon of light in amongst the dross that most is

Glad you're hanging in... Got a little bit on my mind too, not so much a "mental health" issue but long night shifts on your own tends to allow stuff to be mulled over.

I've been feeling really lethargic and tired for a couple of months and with a few other symptoms I finally bit the bullet yesterday and went to my doctors. He confirmed the nagging doubts I had and has diagnosed an enlarged Prostate and so the tests will begin. The initial tests can't be carried out for a week after an exam (can't beat a finger up your bum, well you can!) so I now have a week of the 3 "W's", wondering, worrying and waiting before I can have any tests and then will have to wait for the results so I guess night shift isn't ideal.
Ah well, no point getting unduly worked up about it until I get some kind of results and I always tend to look at a best case scenario so onwards I go...

I know that this is a Mental Health thread and there are plenty of people on here who have shown great courage to write their experiences down to hopefully help others so I hope you all don't mind me taking this a little off track

Hope everything goes OK Mike - we are getting to an age (me more than you) when these issues potentially raise their head

Back