• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Mighty Wales

Oh you bitter bitter person.

On the basis I couldn't give two hoots about international football and couldn't give a monkies about rankings, you'd be wrong. I'm also well aware that England would beat Wales 9 times out of 10.

It just highlights more than ever what a farce the FIFA rankings are.

When was the last time that Wales qualified for a major tournament? Even I cannot remember that...!

Bless. The rankings mean cock just now. They will mean nothing when the draw is done for the finals also as Dan has demonstrated on the match thread. I wouldn't worry about Wales being ahead in a pointless flawed system of point award for now.

Bless. The rankings mean cock just now. They will mean nothing when the draw is done for the finals also as Dan has demonstrated on the match thread. I wouldn't worry about Wales being ahead in a pointless flawed system of point award for now.

Indeed, we got as high as three in the world in August 2012, were we the third best team in the world at the time, no.

What's used to seed the teams for the draw?

As was the case for the 2004 and 2008 finals, the sixteen finalists were divided into four seeding pots, using the UEFA national team coefficient ranking.[22][23] The pot allocations were based on the UEFA national team coefficient rankings of the sixteen finalists at the end of the qualifying competition in November 2011.[24] Each nation's coefficient was generated by calculating:

40% of the average ranking points per game earned in the UEFA Euro 2012 qualifying stage.

40% of the average ranking points per game earned in the 2010 FIFA World Cup qualifying stage and final tournament.

20% of the average ranking points per game earned in the UEFA Euro 2008 qualifying stage and final tournament.

They might change their minds for this tournament, who knows. Platini has already had the ridiculous idea to expand the tournament to 24 teams which is too big and doesn't work structurally. However as it stands then Wales would maybe just about get in Pot 3, depending who else qualifies. At 34th before the qualifiers started they have a lot of ground to make up and clearly all the other group winners are basically uncatchable.

Decent Wales side including John Charles and Ivor Allchurch. Only a Pele goal separated them from Brazil in the quarter final as well.

John Charles was injured for the quarter final apparently. Never knew that. Plus Wales beat Hungary in a play off to make the quarters. Yes, THAT Hungary.

Not the same team by then I think. Puskas and Kocsis were gone. Their peak was the 1954 World Cup which they somehow didn't win.

Those two weren't allowed to play as they had gone to Spain and that was a no-no for their international careers, I believe.

Those two weren't allowed to play as they had gone to Spain and that was a no-no for their international careers, I believe.

I think The Hungarian Revolution in 1956 had something to do with the break up of that team, players fled abroad and couldn't come back. They had 1 defeat (the 1954 final) in 40 plus matches before the revolution.

The rankings do have an effect on the seeding for the qualifying groups for the World cup and Euros, Ireland were in pot 4 for the recent World Cup draw due to their low FIFA ranking

The rankings are getting even more absurd.

If Wales beat Israel on Sunday they will move up to fourth place and should Germany not win their next two matches then they could move up to third above the World Champions! Second place is also within their reach should Belgium lose to Cyprus.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/34150058

Back