• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Nerdy Dr Who Geekfest Thread

Absolutely superb episode last night - Capaldi's best work since Heaven Sent.

Really enjoying this series so far - not a weak episode yet, and the mysterious story arc with the vault isn't annoying me as everything else has been of a high enough quality to distract me. That wasn't the case with the overblown Clara back story - I was bored of that long before its resolution.

Ho....ly crap, that was kind of amazing. That was more than amazing. Good lord!

Will be watching when I'm back from the pub - your post has made me even more excited!

A 'Classic Who' post.

I have finished my classic series marathon - watched them all back to back. It's taken a while as I went off it a bit during some of the slower stories and there are some fucking HORRENDOUS episodes out there that should never be spoken of again. Some I had never seen before, others (the later ones - Colin Baker and Sylvester McCoy) I can distinctly remember watching as a kid but haven't ever seen since. Battlefield in particular seemed so familiar but I've definitely never seen it since 1989 when it was broadcast.

But one thing I've taken from it is my overall opinion of the portrayal of the lead role. Tom Baker is still streets ahead. Even a bad Tom Baker story can be watchable because of Tom Baker. He was born to play the role. Pat Troughton is great (and I think it's important to give that some context - he was so drastically different to William Hartnell - without such a strong performance from the first 'new' Doctor, the show would never have survived), Pertwee actually a bit of a let down even though he had some brilliant stories - I found him a bit too miserable rather too often. However, the biggest surprise for me is that Sylvester McCoy is a FAR better Doctor than I originally thought. His first series is probably the worst series in the history of the show, and no doubt didn't help in the decision to ultimately cancel the show in 1989. Truly awful. But his last 2 series are actually quite decent and he grew into the role superbly, helped a lot with the excellent chemistry between him and Sophie Aldred. I felt a lot of sympathy for Colin Baker - just as he started to develop the character, he was sacked so never got the chance to take the character in the direction he wanted to. He was very much a victim of the shite production and awful issues that plagued the series in the mid-80s. So I'm going to change my order of favourite Doctors, the new series is fresh enough in my mind that I'm including the Doctors from 2005 onwards - which now includes Peter Capaldi in this for the first time (still omitting poor Paul McGann - I can't rate him on a single outing):

Tom Baker
Matt Smith
Christopher Ecclestone
Patrick Troughton
Peter Capaldi
David Tennant
Sylvester McCoy
Jon Pertwee
Peter Davison
William Hartnell
Colin Baker

As for the stories - Caves of Androzani and Genesis of the Daleks are still the ones to beat IMO. The former is WAY ahead of its time, the latter is CLASSIC who with a very strong cast and the introduction of my favourite villain. But I thoroughly enjoyed stories like The Talons of Weng-Chiang, Robots of Death, The Visitation, Curse of Fenric far more than the last time I saw them.

I might re-watch 'Nu-Who' starting from Rose now that's all out of the way.

langers, surely you must have liked planet of evil, with its forbidden planet theme and an anti-matter werewolf (professor Sorenson?) to boot? and what about Sutekh in the pyramids of mars?

I remember the robots of death too - great stuff.

langers, surely you must have liked planet of evil, with its forbidden planet theme and an anti-matter werewolf (professor Sorenson?) to boot? and what about Sutekh in the pyramids of mars?

I remember the robots of death too - great stuff.

Love Pyramids of Mars, always have done - the list of episodes at the end wasn't a list of favourites, just ones that stood out more during this run through. Planet of Evil was quite good, but not amongst the best. City of Death was awesome - I missed that one out.

I'll probably do a revised favourite stories list when I'm bored enough!

Did you not see the mini episode with Paul McGann and his regeneration into John Hurt?

Did you not see the mini episode with Paul McGann and his regeneration into John Hurt?

Of course I did! But that was a 5 minute preview. Not enough to earn him a fair review.

Watched the TV movie last night - it's a right mess, totally devoid of any feeling for the series whatsoever, with the exception of McGann himself who does a very decent job with a shite script and pretty awful characters alongside him. There's very very little to enjoy about it - just bog standard mid-90's American dross. Fair to say that they didn't 'get it' at all. In hindsight, it was no bad thing it wasn't taken on for a full series!

Bad news: The Dr Who Experience in Cardiff is closing this summer (old news)

Good news: I thought it was going to close in early July, but it's staying open til September so I can finally visit during the summer! Huzzah!! My better half goes to Cardiff once a month for work so I can get a lift with her.

Final two episodes of this season were brilliant. Capaldi has been a low burn for me but has come into his own this series.

Yeah they were superb. I think it's been a very strong season, with the exception of the monks episodes which I thought were a bit weak. Bill has been a superb character, Nardole is starting to improve (I like the slightly different relationship he has with the Doctor - almost like a butler!) and the Doctor himself has been great.

The end of Saturday's episode was tremendous and sets up what should be a cracking Christmas special. I predict Moffatt is going to go a bit crazy for his swansong from the series!

New Dr who star to be unveiled on Sunday! Just after the mens Wimbledon final

Just announce it FFS. I can't stand the overblown nonsense when they unveil the new Doctor.

If it is Roger Federer you could understand the timing.
Or even better,federer wins,takes the trophy,then peels off a rubber mask unveiling the new Dr,be nearly as good as when we announced neves

I'm happy with that, would have preferred Kris Marshall but still a good choice. She was excellent in Broadchurch.

Agree and I'm really pleased it is a woman, personally!

Back