• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Nerdy Dr Who Geekfest Thread

I've been watching it with my wife and not being a real fan of the series took it with a pinch of salt. We watched a few episodes and the things I could pick out were that Christopher Ecclestone was one of the better Doctors and Matt Smith was awful. Personally the Weeping Angels are my favorite of the "villians" as they are probably the most stealthiest and unforgiving of the Doctor who "villains"

Interesting. Ecclestone was ace but I thought Matt Smith suffered from some truly terrible scripts. Can't agree that he was awful at all - he was a superb Doctor.

Watched the trailer for the new series earlier. Meh. The new assistant looks incredibly annoying and I think Nardole is a bland nothing character. I hope I'm proved wrong and it's a good final series for Capaldi but my hopes aren't high.

I'm currently watching the classic series thanks to Kodi. Currently up to the Invasion of Time (Tom Baker - with Leela and K9).

Interesting. Ecclestone was ace but I thought Matt Smith suffered from some truly terrible scripts. Can't agree that he was awful at all - he was a superb Doctor.

I watched some episodes with Ecclestone, Smith and my wife's personal favorite David Tennant. Tennant and Ecclestone both brought a unique quirkiness to the role that can make serious things quite funny but Matt Smith definitely lacks that from what I've seen.

I enjoyed ecclestone,bought a menace to the role,always looked like he'd take the monsters outside and give em a kicking,
Tennant I hated tbh,gurning fool that he was,
Matt smith I enjoyed,he looked like he was having fun,but some of the scripts were weak,did have Amy pond as a companion worth watching for her,
Capaldi,I've been really disappointed,but that's just been down to awful scripts I think,I wanted him to be ace in it,he's doing the best he can though,but he can't run,you watch him run its weird,
I'm a bit meh on the new series,just because of the cockernee sidekick,have a feeling it's all going to be cor blimey guv'nor,you're having a giraffe me old China,look out guv he's got a shooter etc etc(I may be stereotyping Londoners a wee bit here)

Last edited:
Agree with that Keef. Smith played the role as a true eccentric and in that sense he nailed it. I've liked all the modern Doctors but Tennant is my least favourite from the 4. He had some top episodes mind you.

I really think Capaldi is criminally underused. He's the most Tom Baker-esque Doctor since the great man himself.

Fleabag actress Phoebe Waller-Bridge is the new bookies' favourite to become the next Doctor Who.

Just seen the series trailer,and it's starting 15th April,or at the very least an episode next week

Only saw the one trailer to be fair, but Bill turns out to be far sharper than first seen in said trailer. Really sold on her from that episode! :)

Well I was convinced I'd hate Bill from the off but that's a strong debut. Really enjoyed that one, though I still think Nardole is a totally pointless character.

Awesome throwback to the classic series with the photo of Susan on his desk and then we see a cameo from the Movellans!! I only watched Destiny of the Daleks last week, coincidentally!

More like that please!

Kris Marshall is the new Dr who!*

*Maybe,some sources say confirmed,some say unconfirmed so don't really know

Last edited:
Kris Marshall - not sure that thats a benefit, not been that good in anything that I have seen him in. Then again as I haven't watched Dr Who for years it's somewhat academic for me

Been reading this at work and thoroughly enjoying it.

C-jgkT_XcAA2T_S.jpg

I've enjoyed all of the new series so far - a return to form for the show. And I might be over-geeking this, but I'm seeing a few little clues appearing throughout the series. Spoilered, obvs:

1. The photo of Susan on the Doctor's desk
2. He seems to almost pick Bill out of an audience due to her high natural intellect
3. Bill lost her mother when she was young, so she has no memory of her
4. The original Mondasian cybermen are returning.
5. On Saturday's episode, Bill called the Doctor 'grandfather'.

How awesome would it be if Bill was the latest incarnation of Susan and the Doctor has sought her out? Maybe it's a connection to whoever is in that box? Steven Moffat is a proper Dr Who geek so it'd be awesome for his tenure to end with such a great connection to the classic series.

Only seen the first two episodes so far and the new companion isn't as annoying as we fist thought imo. Cheers for letting me know who that other photo was!

Agree - I really thought I'd hate her but she's actually very good. I like her.

Can't stand Nardole (not a fan of Matt Lucas either tbh)

Yeah he seems a bit pointless to me - although maybe he'll come into it more when we discover what's in the box?

Back