• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Official Euro 2016 Megathread

Deutsch Wolf

aka Dawn
Reaction score
uefa-euro-2016-logo-vector-download.jpg

Time for us to have a thread for the tournament proper now we're only just over a week away from the start.

First up, anyone who didn't watch this tonight, make sure you do. Absolutely superb documentary on Euro 96, it's brilliantly made.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b07dpvcl/alan-shearers-euro-96-when-football-came-home

All the squads:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Euro_2016_squads

Wallchart:

euro2016_wallchart.png

All the odds:

http://www.oddschecker.com/football/euro-2016

First job tomorrow: print out the wall chart :D

It's messed up. Finish top of our group and we could end up with someone harder than if we finish second. Finish third and we get Spain/Germany or were out.

Yeah, 24 team tournaments don't really work that well. But UEFA's gonna UEFA.

However I'm not going to let their buffoonery ruin it all, I can't wait.

It's messed up. Finish top of our group and we could end up with someone harder than if we finish second. Finish third and we get Spain/Germany or were out.
Win the group and we get a 3rd placed team from A/C/D, and if we come second we get 2nd place in Group F.

If we win our group then we shouldn't be scared of anyone that's finished 3rd.

Win the group and we get a 3rd placed team from A/C/D, and if we come second we get 2nd place in Group F.

If we win our group then we shouldn't be scared of anyone that's finished 3rd.

Is say any of the teams in C or D are harder than the potential second placed teams in F. And remember, in a tight group there can be nothing in it between second and third if there is a clear favourite who wins all 3.

You want to avoid 3rd place from D ideally, they're all very decent teams. Wouldn't be worried about playing Romania/Switzerland or Ukraine/Norn Iron as would probably be the case if we drew out of the other two groups. Switzerland are the best out of those four and we cruised past them twice in qualifying.

I've done a couple of online predictors, in my slightly bias view England got to the semi final in both. If that did happen it would signify a good tournament.
I'm hoping that the safety net of four third best placed sides will loosen the shackles on some teams.
The quality will be considerably weaker compared to tournaments of the past.
It's one of France, Spain or Germany to win it IMO plus Belguim have a lot to prove.

First up, anyone who didn't watch this tonight, make sure you do. Absolutely superb documentary on Euro 96, it's brilliantly made.

Agreed a really well made programme . I really miss Barry Davies commentating. I always preferred him to Motson.

I've done a couple of online predictors, in my slightly bias view England got to the semi final in both. If that did happen it would signify a good tournament.
I'm hoping that the safety net of four third best placed sides will loosen the shackles on some teams.
It's one of France, Spain or Germany to win it IMO plus Belguim have a lot to prove.

In a season of so many surprises it would not shock me for an outsider to win this in much the same way as Greece or Denmark did in the past. I think England have a real shout for a last 4 place after then who knows. France will have home pressure. Germany and Spain are good not great. Belgium are over-rated. Austria as a surprise package and Wales.

The way I had it was if it all went accordingly we'd get Italy in the quarters? I think we could make it third time lucky against them under Roy...

This is the most excited I've been about a tournament for a good while. I plan to watch as many games as I possibly can around work/ girlfriend commitments :D

I've been looking forward to this thread! Really looking forward to the tournament - it should be a belter. I've booked a few days off during the first week so I can catch some of the 2pm kick offs.

As for England - I agree that making the semi finals would be a successful tournament. I just really hope we play to our strengths and attack teams rather than play overly negative football. I also hope Wales do well, except when they play us, when I want them to get thumped.

Agreed a really well made programme . I really miss Barry Davies commentating. I always preferred him to Motson.

Barry Davies is the best football commentator there has ever been and I do miss him on MOTD. Motson is an annoying doddering fool who should have retired decades ago. There's no comparison.

I didn't realise how many caps Casillas has won! That's a ridiculous amount!

Buffon isn't far behind him!

Two ridiculous goalkeepers.

Absolutely. Their longevity really is quite remarkable. Out of the 2 I'd choose Buffon mind you.

Buffon is a legend but he has worried me in recent tournaments where he seems to have become more prone to gaffs. Italy using another keeper seems to be unspeakable but I have been wanting to see Salvatore Siragu used more. There's a young keeper at Milan, Gianluigi Donnarumma who is 17 and 6'5", great hopes for him in the future

I've been looking forward to this thread! Really looking forward to the tournament - it should be a belter. I've booked a few days off during the first week so I can catch some of the 2pm kick offs.

As for England - I agree that making the semi finals would be a successful tournament. I just really hope we play to our strengths and attack teams rather than play overly negative football. I also hope Wales do well, except when they play us, when I want them to get thumped.

Barry Davies is the best football commentator there has ever been and I do miss him on MOTD. Motson is an annoying doddering fool who should have retired decades ago. There's no comparison.

I agree I think we were lucky at that time to have Davies on the BBC and Brian Moore on ITV.

Back