• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Official Euro 2016 Megathread

Portugal win. Football loses, I'm sure they will go on to great things now like Greece did in 2004.

Sissoko played well. Shame he couldn't be bothered to do it week in week out for the toon. Goon.

They've found a way to win it wish we could, not my favourite team but they've shown some real bottle.

Win one game in 90 minutes all tournament and end up champions. Bleurgh

This in spade's. Makes something of a mockery of the 24 team tournament too. Portugal should never have made it out of the group in first place.

Absolute dogshit tournament. But Portugal proving if you want to win something, then don't lose.

Can't see the problem with Portugal winning it to be honest. Well organized, hard working, good team spirit. Unbeaten. If only we could replicate that.
+1

Anything contrary is massively sour grapes.

Win one game in 90 minutes all tournament and end up champions. Bleurgh
I just don't understand this. They did everything they had to do.

Surely if they didn't deserve to have won then someone would have made them pay for their defensive tactics? And yet no one did.

End of the day for a relatively poor country of only 10 million population, this is a great achievement.

I think that's complete bollocks, a lot of people don't like their style of play. How is it sour grapes?
You don't have to like their tactics but I think you must respect them.

I'm delighted for Portugal and for Ronaldo even though I think he's a self obsessed tit, he's a brilliant footballer and was sad to see him stretchered off. A fine goal won it (glad it wasn't penalties) and Ronaldo's touchline antics were both magnificent leadership and comical

I love Portugal as a country and am delighted they've finally won a trophy

Rui Patricio MOM

You don't have to like their tactics but I think you must respect them.

Any tactic that wins you a major tournament has to be respected, as I said on my previous post they found a way by no means aesthetically pleasing but effective.

I just don't understand this. They did everything they had to do.

Surely if they didn't deserve to have won then someone would have made them pay for their defensive tactics? And yet no one did.

What's not to understand? I don't enjoy watching Portugal play, I very much doubt many neutrals do. I don't watch football matches between teams I have no investment in to witness joyless attritional scrap after joyless attritional scrap. Congratulations to them on their win, I don't begrudge them it but it's not really a positive thing for football. Moreover football is principally a battle between two teams over 90 minutes, that Portugal were only good enough to win once over that timeframe in the entire tournament yet they've lifted the trophy is another particularly grimy mark on the game. If doing "everything they had to do" is fair game then why not aim to draw every single game 0-0 and take your chances on winning on penalties every time? Would that be alright? It's not far off what Portugal's gameplan has been in the knockout stages anyway.

Greece and Portugal have won these championships in this century, as have France and Spain. However no-one will ever particularly care to rewatch the highlights of the former two, or ever be talking about those teams in any kind of positive context, whereas the other two are two of the best international teams of the last 60 years or so. People enjoyed watching them. Enjoying watching something and appreciating the genius at work is generally considered to be better than barely tolerating something and having a mere grudging respect for the end result.

90 minutes results. P 7 won 1 Drawn 6 lost 0. How the hell is that championship winning form in any sport? 2 extra time wins, 1 penalty shootout and 3 draws from a boring side. Sorry I am in DWs camp on this. There has to be something wrong with the format IMHO If a team cannot win a group game yet progresses. France however must be kicking themselves for blowing it on home soil. Choke Choke

All said and done I'd 100% take England playing like this if it got us success.

I wouldnt. We had dog shit football at Wolves all last season and we loved that didnt we? However Portugal's form was akin to ours winning 1 and drawing 6 giving 9 points from 7 games.
If this had been repeated over a complete league season Portugal would have played 46 games and got 59 points. We got 58 points from 46 games. I am sure you can agree that at no stage last season did we look like or deserve to be a championship winning team. Playing attritional football Portugal like Greece have won the trophy. Puts you off watching though doesnt it?

Here's a stat - that was Portugal's first goal at a Euro from outside the box since 2004

Back