• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Official FIFA World Cup 2022 Megathread

I'm wishing ill-will on Switzerland and Australia for listing their entire squads in alphabetical order rather than split by position, and Uruguay for releasing theirs on an image which is either out of focus or has a really crap resolution.

England squad is more balanced than I expected, but that’s not because Southgate has changed tact, more that he’s been unable to select Reece James so has thrown another centre mid in instead. Looking at the players that missed out, there’s not really anyone that can feel massively unfairly treated. Possibly a couple of the younger centre backs, but Southgate was always going to select Maguire. JWP could have had an argument to be included ahead of Henderson, but he’s stuck with the experience there.

Seen a lot of people saying Toney should have gone, but Kane is going to start every game that he’s fit unless we have a complete dead rubber & for me, I’d prefer to have Wilson in there ahead of him anyway.

All that said, we’ll be on the plane home fairly early. Brazil’s squad absolutely pisses on ours in all areas from an enormous height & I’m pretty sure we might end up playing them relatively early? No easy route this time for Gareth.

All that said, we’ll be on the plane home fairly early. Brazil’s squad absolutely pisses on ours in all areas from an enormous height & I’m pretty sure we might end up playing them relatively early? No easy route this time for Gareth.
Nope.

Probably Netherlands or Senegal in the R16, then France in the quarters.

I'd say QF is about par for us this time given what we have.

Brazil's full backs are either ancient or shite, or both. Every squad is lacking a bit somewhere, France's midfield is nowhere near as good as it has been in the last few tournaments. Villa reject Jordan Veretout has made the cut.

Sa, Nunes and Neves all in for Portugal (as is Rui from the old guard). No Guedes, Podence or Semedo.

For some reason they've announced those 21 and the manager will call up another 5 later. Thinks he's Davina bloody McCall.
Fancy another one?

Fair play on the countries we might face. I haven’t paid any attention at all, really. Although I can’t see us beating Netherlands or France.

I think Portugal may be a candidate for the shock early exit. There's no gimme at all in that group, Ronaldo is totally done now (would almost be like England picking Rooney) and Fernando Santos is an absolutely shit manager.

Tomori is very unlucky but other than that I don't have any complaints. Maguire and Dier shouldn't be anywhere near it.

Tomori played himself out with those two games vs Chelsea in the CL, he was really bad in both.

Of course Maguire shouldn't be there but we knew he would be.

I'm wishing ill-will on Switzerland and Australia for listing their entire squads in alphabetical order rather than split by position, and Uruguay for releasing theirs on an image which is either out of focus or has a really crap resolution.
Don't forget USA purely for the word ROSTER instead of squad.

Tomori judged on 2 games when Maguire and Dier have been shite for months is very harsh.
Well yeah, but that's how it's going to be unfortunately, Southgate can't exactly keep going to Milan all the time.

I'd say it's equally as harsh that he completely ditched Smalling years ago for spurious reasons, he's been very good for Roma.

I don't think Dier or Maguire deserved to be picked and the same for Kalvin Philips imo who isn't good enough. It's not a particularly controversial squad however, could have been far worse.

Very glad there's no Mings at least! Also agree with DW about Smalling, I'd have had him over some of the other options.

Back