• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Official FIFA World Cup 2022 Megathread

Dutch squad looks seriously underwhelming. Some real Premier League reject crap in there.

FhR9QiWX0Ac4Cl8

Hopefully they finish 2nd and we play them in the first knockout round.

I'm listening to you Alan. I'm also listening to your sport commentators who 'call a game', remark on certain players who never have great speed but they do have 'great quickness!'...
So I can help with that one. Think of "speed" as top speed (IE, "my Bugatti goes 320kph"), where "quickness" is acceleration (IE, "my Bugatti gets to 100kph in 2.7 seconds"). Quickness also tends to imply the ability to change direction without losing speed, a trait highly valued for positions like halfback where it's important to get through the line of scrimmage as quickly as possible whilst being able to avoid the defenders.

Granted, I don't think using "quickness" and "speed" as we tend to over here when describing athletes is particularly clear.

This has totally passed me by, but I'm pretty surprised that Brazil are favourites:

1668177095177.png

Really don’t get the Brazil hype, yes very decent but no better than a good few sides in the tournament.

It may have been mentioned before...

It's amusing me that you posted that like we'd all be in the dark about it.
Except I didn't...

I hadn't seen on here confirmation of Portugal's squad. Sorry if I missed it.

Aren't Brazil favourites for every World Cup?
Yeah, you gave to take into account the casual betters that will be punting. It's why England also always end up so high up the list.

I’d put a tenner on England, after all we won our only World Cup in a country where homosexuality was illegal art the time the World Cup was played there.

Hard for me to pick out a clear favorite this year tbh.

Reactions: b3h
Nobody is standing out as a clear favourite, all teams have issues and injuries having said that I fully expect the winner to come from one of Brazil, Argentina, France or Germany hardly a bold prediction.

Except I didn't...

I hadn't seen on here confirmation of Portugal's squad. Sorry if I missed it.
Isn't the point of a forum that you look at what other people have written?

I do find it strange that some people just type stuff out and post it. I mean, what for if its not for a conversation?

Interesting article on the beeb about Brazil v Italy 1982. I remember it pretty well. 82 is the first world cup I can really have memories of, although 6 year old me did watch a bit of Argentina 1978. That Brazil side were just wonderful to watch and I couldn't believe Italy beat them that day.

As a 9/10 year old that World Cup was special and particularly that Brazil side. Very little live football then, the Cup Final, European Finals, the odd England game and World Cups so you didn't see these players very often, there was an exoticness to it. We all were that Brazil team in the playground, no Marriners, Robsons or Butchers we were Zico, Falcao, Junior or Socrates. I was Eder, but played more like Serginho

As a 9/10 year old that World Cup was special and particularly that Brazil side. Very little live football then, the Cup Final, European Finals, the odd England game and World Cups so you didn't see these players very often, there was an exoticness to it. We all were that Brazil team in the playground, no Marriners, Robsons or Butchers we were Zico, Falcao, Junior or Socrates. I was Eder, but played more like Serginho
Socrates is an absolute beast (on Fifa)

Back