• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The OFFICIAL Womens World Cup Thread

Some of the pitches are being watered and no one on eurosport seemed to know if it helped players or not.
Not sure why they even needed to use artificial grass at all.

If you play on a decent 3G pitch and not the shitty old ones which are basically sand based Astros without the sand then you can slide on it no problem. Hurts and burns less than sliding on bone dry grass in the summer.

I don't get why lots of people moan about 3g/4g/5g astroturf. I think it's great to play on. Nothing wrong with sliding on it, might get a light burn but nothing that bad.

If you play on a decent 3G pitch and not the shirty old ones which are basically sand based Astros without the sand then you can slide on it no problem. Hurts and burns less than sliding on bone dry grass in the summer.

Sand based isn't 3G is it?

You can still get some horrific friciton burns off the newer rubber based stuff when it's dry though, all part of the fun.

And to play on, I love playing on 3G pitches as its a massive improvement on bobbly park pitches with dog shit on. I guess the pristine grass the pros play on is better though.

Sand based isn't 3G is it?

You can still get some horrific friciton burns off the newer rubber based stuff when it's dry though, all part of the fun.

Yeah I'm saying the old shit ones are like sand based Astros just with no sand. The one I used to play on at a fancy posh school in Bristol was amazing, was always watered and you could slide no problem. Slight burn but you don't get mud in it (or stones) like on grass.

Some of the pitches are being watered and no one on eurosport seemed to know if it helped players or not.
Not sure why they even needed to use artificial grass at all.

It's to stop the rubber balls sticking together under heat and creating an uneven surface/ bounce. It's the biggest flaw in elastomers/ rubbers.

You haven't lived until you've sat picking small pieces of black rubber out of a massive friction burn down the side of your thigh.

I have done! Hence knowing the feeling.

You're not wrong about that. Still unpleasant at first.

It's to stop the rubber balls sticking together under heat and creating an uneven surface/ bounce. It's the biggest flaw in elastomers/ rubbers.

Ahh....also just read that in hot weather (such as the opening day) the pitch was 49 degrees celsius!...not nice to fall on friction burns or not.

Well the Aussies have put up a good fight but our Shock Top Messi (Megan Rapinoe) seems to have put this away with one lucky and one clean goal (sandwiching a goal from Christian Press).

Switzerland look very composed for being WC débutantes. Down 1-0 to Japan only by virtue of a questionable penalty.

Right I almost never watch women's football, but going to give it a go now. Plus apparently we have some kind of terrible record against the French, and it's always fun to beat them.

U-S-A, U-S-A, U-S-A... :D

not a great start but rapinoe with two great across-goal corner shots

Right, England were fucking atrocious,frustrating and devoid of any sort of attacking ambition.
The manager/coach seemed to set them up to "just not lose by too many"
Listening to the radio after it was mentioned that they were still playing under the massive influence of former manager Hope Powell.
They would look to her for everything, even to have a shit it seems.
Watching the match after the Sweden Nigeria match last night it was worlds apart...Nigeria would simply rip England to shreds should they ever meet.

Mark Sampson says "that was an excellent England performance"....the bloke is a fucking tool.

Also the Referees in this tournament have been fucking abysmal, truly awful.
Constantly missing fouls (a blatant elbow in the England match, a stamp in the Canada match) giving corners for goal kicks and vice versa...However its quite a relief to see no players challenge the shit decisions.

Costa Rica just frustrated Spain to a 1-1 draw although Spain had 20 odd attempts.

oh yeah, Laure Boulleau of France for no particular reason.
73c93.jpg

Brazil in favorable refereeing shocker. Korea haven't offered much but the scoreline is still a bit harsh on them.

Back