• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Race For The Top Four

Whilst Sundays win has made me a little more optimistic I fear we will run out of puff. Our last six fixtures are against teams who we have yet to score against this season including Norwich and Burnley who always seem to do something against us , more often than not. Chelsea , City and Liverpool in that bunch too on the back of Newcastle who have improved. I am still in teammissedopportunity but I may have to revise it after March. If we have enough points on the board by then ( and that is possible ) I may dance to a different beat. At the moment , still sticking with being an Eeyore. 7th Would be a maginifient achievement with this squad depth and lack of new or recent investment.

If Neto hits the ground running, I think we've got a chance, if not I can't see us scoring enough with the forward players we have, based on the evidence we've seen so far. There's a slight caveat to that in that 3 of them are in their first Premier League season, so could conceivably continue to improve as the season progresses.

8th or above would represent a really successful season for me, I predicted us 10th in the pre season poll and was quite surprised I was one of the most optimistic on here in doing so. For me the main frustration of the recent transfer windows has been more about what we could have built towards rather than what we are, as we do still have some really excellent players.

Cos I'm retired and I'm trying to avoid taking the pooch out in the biblical rain, I just had a look at the 'where will we finish' thread......does my heart good to now having this thread. Pretty much everyone was wrong about how this season would go (I know there's a long way to go) lots of people worried about finishing bottom half or even fighting relegation. Great credit to the boys, especially Bruno, Sa and the back line.

I predicted 7-10 and I think we will get close to 60 points which has rarely (if ever) been enough for 4th spot. 60 points would represent a great season and will probably put us within touching distance of 4th but probably just a little short.

We're averaging 1.61 PPG to date.

15 games left X 1.61 would see us end on 61 points.

With the Conference League, can someone mention about what spots should mean what tournament? I know it's also dependent on who wins the FA cup, but presuming it's someone like City, Chelsea, Liverpool, where does the Europa League vs. Conference League fit?

Not that it matters at all if we finish 4th!

CL - Top 4
EL - FA Cup winner (full qualification) & 5th place (preliminary qualification)
Conf - League Cup winner

So as it stands League Cup will almost definitely go to 6th place. If the FA Cup is won by a top team, it will drop to 7th and 6th will be EL

CL - Top 4
EL - FA Cup winner (full qualification) & 5th place (preliminary qualification)
Conf - League Cup winner

So as it stands League Cup will almost definitely go to 6th place. If the FA Cup is won by a top team, it will drop to 7th and 6th will be EL
Awesome! Thanks

What are people's thoughts on the conf League, want to be in it or not that bothered?

Any European football is a privilege in my opinion, given where we have come from.
Exactly this! Obviously the better the tournament, the better for us. But I certainly wouldn't turn down the Conference League, absolutely loved the few away trips I got to make to europe following Wolves - it feels so weird to miss something that we only had for one season!

I would expect the English entrant and Serie A entrant to be heavy favourites in the Conference League. So if we ended up there I would absolutely want to go for it.

Daily Mirror

"Arsenal, Tottenham, West Ham, Manchester United, and perhaps Wolves are locked in a tight battle for fourth"

Fucking perhaps? Well excuse us for sitting in between 2 teams defo in that tight battle

We all said that when we got the QF's and just missed out on getting back into the EL on the last day of the season. So essentially we know fuck all
The issue I have is that it vindicates a zero spend policy and that wont end well. Its unsustainable . Just as throwing money like confetti is. See Everton.

Back