• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Race For The Top Four

Everton, Watford, and Newcastle are all pish. Newcastle doubly so if Trippier is hurt as that removes their set-piece threat.

Could we lose to them? Absolutely, they're Premier League sides so "pish" is relative.

But we're better if we play to our standard, simple as. I get being respectful of opponents, I don't get being scared of them.

We have not scored against the following this season and have still to play them
Arsenal
Norwich
Burnley
Man City
Liverpool
Leicester
Chelsea

We have to play Everton Watford and Newcastle with new managers . We visit West Ham and Brighton visit us . We have beaten both so should get something from one of those. Given that Europe is probably going to need 60 points I cannot see us getting them . If that makes me an eeyore so be it. Quite comfortable being “that bastard”
I don't think you quite understand what's being said. You actually share the same opinion but have this strange desire to be different, the one with a wildly different point of view.
You have just decided to jump ahead and say why we won't win the race when others are just happy to enjoy the race, maybe a little bit of hopeful thinking but ultimately expect us to do more or less as you state.

That's why you get people coming back at you. You somehow manage to create an argument out of people saying "it would be amazing but I don't think we will do it" and you respond "you idiots, we won't do it and here is why and don't have a go at me when I say I told you so"

It was meant to be an easy place to keep an eye on the fixtures and form

Works perfectly as that mate. Gives some focus and excitement for the rest of the campaign.

I'm shite at predicting so I'll leave that to others; this season we've beaten teams above us and below us though, and mostly give a good account of ourselves, so I'm not reading too much into the fixture list right now

We have a chance of 4th but I'd suggest we need to beat Arsenal, certainly avoid defeat.
As for the other games, clearly we will win some and lose others, some of each surprising. 4th seems unlikely but no one can definitively say impossible.
Any European football would be a fantastic achievement and should be celebrated as such.
Certainly though we should dream. I've seen enough footballing nightmares come true over last 40 odd years.

I’d just like to know what relevance the first encounter and “not scoring” has on the next game. I’d also like to know why beating a team earlier in the season means we should get something next time.

I’d just like to know what relevance the first encounter and “not scoring” has on the next game. I’d also like to know why beating a team earlier in the season means we should get something next time.
We've played 4 sides twice in the league this season. Didn't score against 3 of them in the first game, scored against all in the second. Almost like it counts for nothing

To even be talked about us as an option to take a CL space is a forward step.

Don't think that we will quite make it, but any Euro comp will be welcome even if only just making the Europa Conference.

Singing with Crusaders fans in Redwings at 2 am was memorable & pleased that I was elsewhere when Besiktas came and WM Police were there in force after they almost set fire to the foyer with flares.

Well that was an enjoyable read. Jasper, ffs 😂

It’s an absolutely bizarre point of view to have, that we’ll only pick up points against teams we’ve scored against already and that we’re guaranteed to drop points against the sides we didn’t score against in the first game. Literally bizarre.

Anyway, add me to the club of “would snap your cock off for Europa Conference football”. Anything on top of that is a bonus, but it’s a testament to Bruno & the boys that we’re even in the conversation.

The rearranged Arsenal away game is the one on Amazon.

Still no word on the Watford game yet either which is annoying as I have tickets for that.
Pretty certain it'll be when the Fifth Round FA Cup games are being played. Not sure what the delay is there.

Pretty certain it'll be when the Fifth Round FA Cup games are being played. Not sure what the delay is there.
Ugh. They all seem to be midweek. And I'm usually busy Tue/Wed nights.

I don't think you quite understand what's being said. You actually share the same opinion but have this strange desire to be different, the one with a wildly different point of view.
You have just decided to jump ahead and say why we won't win the race when others are just happy to enjoy the race, maybe a little bit of hopeful thinking but ultimately expect us to do more or less as you state.

That's why you get people coming back at you. You somehow manage to create an argument out of people saying "it would be amazing but I don't think we will do it" and you respond "you idiots, we won't do it and here is why and don't have a go at me when I say I told you so"
I wasn’t creating an argument . I was giving a reality check. One good month and a win against spurs whose defending was the worst against us that I can remember from any top flight team and a thread appears called the race for the top 4. I happen to think it’s a bit of fanciful thinking from a team that has failed to score in half its matches. Granted it’s possible and you’re welcome to dream. It’s a double edged sword as it vindicates Fosuns zero spend policy. Naturally I can’t support that. I don’t think you’re idiots , I just think you’re putting two and two together and coming up with 8.
We need 23 points from 15 games to have a chance of any Europe. That’s 6 wins and 5 draws or 7 wins and two draws. I just don’t see us doing that . The following is more likely for me. Neves will get a two game ban , we will pick up an injury or two, Neto won’t be back until April realistically and Sa will get himself sent off sometime for manhandling some bugger in the box. Watford Norwich and Burnley will all defend for their lives as they are trying to stay up and we will lose our last 3 games being pipped for the conference by Spurs and finishing a very creditable 8th with 56 points or so. That to me is far more based on current probabilities for a squad who probably won’t score in 7 of the last 15 games if you stick with their current form. For this one my glass is half empty.
Not looking to say I told you so as I really don’t need to. I look forward to being wonderfully surprised if it happens and have my lack of expectations met if it doesn’t. It’s a win win for me. I detest disappointment.

Back