• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Race For The Top Four

Remaining Fixtures:
United
Everton a
Norwich h
Liverpool a
Arsenal a
Brentford h
Brighton a
Chelsea h
Palace a
Guessing 11 points so 62

West Ham
Brentford a
Burnley h
Chelsea a
Arsenal h
Norwich a
Man City h
Brighton a
Guessing 9 so 60

So with GD probably going to need 61 points for 7th. That's likely winning all 4 none top 3 games. Draw one of those and we are going to need to win or draw 2 against City, Chelsea or Liverpool.
If we can actually stick a few goals on Norwich and Burnley you never know, we might be able to close the GD gap.

But ultimately that Leeds game is going to be our undoing. Our GD would be 3 or 4 better and we’d be on more points than West Ham and probably favourites. Instead we’re going to need to be near perfect or hope West Ham slip up somewhere. Personally I think we should be winning all none top 3 games as we are just better than them all.

I can only agree, the Leeds game was probably our undoing as I think we’ll end up 2 or 3 points shy of making 7th.
Looking at remaining fixtures I just can’t see those above us getting less than 11 points that’ll take them to at least 62/63 points, so we probably will need a couple of snookers tbh, but you never know.
Just watching Palace and to be honest with their fixtures and current form you wouldn’t rule them out!!!

She'd have a series of shoe shops?
We are where we are - we have the points we have - there have been points lost and won which shouldn’t have been - this notion of “if only” and “blowing it” is a load of nonsense.

I can only agree, the Leeds game was probably our undoing as I think we’ll end up 2 or 3 points shy of making 7th.
Looking at remaining fixtures I just can’t see those above us getting less than 11 points that’ll take them to at least 62/63 points, so we probably will need a couple of snookers tbh, but you never know.
Just watching Palace and to be honest with their fixtures and current form you wouldn’t rule them out!!!
If they won every game - they won't, they'd get 61

If they won every game - they won't, they'd get 61
Very true Tony, and although it would be a massive achievement their remaining leagues fixtures are all winnable, whereas ours are full of potential banana skins where we could drop points and even fail to finish 8th
This is where we have to keep our house in order and maintain pressure on those above us fighting for 5th 6th and 7th, starting on Friday night against Newcastle who will be wanting a reaction after their result on Sunday

As I mentioned on the verdict thread, we've lost five of our last eight games. Really shit form when even being adequate would have us strong favourites to make Europe now.

Somehow we're just about still in the hunt. Somehow.

As I mentioned on the verdict thread, we've lost five of our last eight games. Really shit form when even being adequate would have us strong favourites to make Europe now.

Somehow we're just about still in the hunt. Somehow.
Till the last game i think. We have to be better than Man U, which is a low bar this season apparently!

Fucking Arsenal losing now. Its like fourth is some form of poisoned chalice that nobody wants.

They’re fecking trolling us to extend the pain.

Well its mid April and somehow we are still in the hunt albeit down to others rather than our performances. Youngwolf on another thread(stats) echoed what I said in January about the sustainability of finishing in the top half yet performing as we do with so many games that we have failed to score and games we have won 1-0. Given how much could and probably will change in the summer perhaps 8th is best for all. I would not want to fight for survival in the premier league next season just to back up an appearance in the Europa Conference.

Defensively we have overperformed this season. Offensively we are about the level for the players we have played. Midfield lacks depth and if Neves and Moutinho both go that will be a big problem area. If Lage changes to a back four our defensive performance level is likely to get worse and we can only hope this is compensated by us creating and scoring more goals. I do not this that will happen with the existing squad particularly in attack or midfield where our players are hardly prolific.

We are not hard to beat , lets be clear. We are hard to score against and that's different. That has enabled us to nick games or punish teams who gift us goals such as Spurs. That cannot be relied upon year on year. I still believe we are at least 4 players short of what we need and that's with finding a gem in Sa, a most unexpected pleasant upgrade for many on here. I would not be surprised to lose Semedo and Neves as well as Traore this summer. Saiss and Moutinho may well go too and that's some big holes to fill , and fill quickly.

We will probably see the return of MGW after his season in the championship but that will only working if we go to a four and strengthen the midfield. You wont like this but Hwang may work better in a front 2 rather than this current IF role which he doesn't seem to be able to grasp. All in all I wont be upset not to make Europe , not because I didnt think we would and I want to be right but because I dont think the squad is good enough to do the competition justice will maintaining premier league stats. Of course that could be very different come September 1st, however our recent recruitment efforts dont overly inspire me.

I have been really struggling to get on to post ( many of you will say hooray) for some reason. I get very very slow uploads despite clearing the cache. I wonder in Mods could check my account for me please to make sure its all good?

Can we re-name this thread the race to not finish fourth? It is bizarre what is going on!

If Arsenal could be Arsenal as well and United could fuck up too then life gets interesting again.

The highest we will finish is 7th. Out of our 6 left we have Chelsea, Liverpool and City we won't be getting any points out of those.

When have Wolves ever done anything you'd expect them to do ??
Under Nuno it was possible but not this season and not with the 'shit your pants' tactics currently employed at anybody in the sky six or away from home.

Under Nuno it was possible but not this season and not with the 'shit your pants' tactics currently employed at anybody in the sky six or away from home.

Hmm think that's a little unfair?

We're in a slump right now but we've beaten Utd and Spurs away this season, even the mighty Brighton 😉

Back