• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Red Card Effect

Does the same apply for someone verbally asking for an opponent to be shown a card?

A very good point. The reason that waving an imaginary card should be a mandatory caution is that everyone in the ground knows what is happening, but a verbal request means only those in hearing distance would be aware of what was going on. But yes, it should also be a caution, but a referee would be less likely to caution for the verbal request.

In this case I don't necessarily see the outrage in the "waving imaginary cards" thing. Surely the ref should have enough backbone to not be influenced by such a gesture?

In this case I don't necessarily see the outrage in the "waving imaginary cards" thing. Surely the ref should have enough backbone to not be influenced by such a gesture?

Refs and backbone. Hmmmm

Seems like it's the most necessary character trait for the job, aside from reading comprehension and not being narcoleptic.

You'd think being able to run would be included too, but apparently not.

Running? Bah. Put them on segways.

I prefer this guy's idea. Just leave the ref up there if he has a shit game.

rnzVozA.jpg

Reverse panopticon, eh? I can dig it.

An official in England re-acting like that would find themselves in hot water. As match officials we simply cannot act like that.

Shearer said on MOTD that McCauley's ban will get transferred to Dawson after he was mistakenly sent off against City. I didn't think this was allowed. I presume McCauley's red card will be overturned, but I thought that it couldn't be then given to someone else.

Watching MOTD, embarrassing for at least a couple of ref's yesterday.

Shearer said on MOTD that McCauley's ban will get transferred to Dawson after he was mistakenly sent off against City. I didn't think this was allowed. I presume McCauley's red card will be overturned, but I thought that it couldn't be then given to someone else.

I believe that to be correct. When Wes Brown was mistakenly sent off, the suspension was not transferred to O'Shea, who actually committed the foul.

Wasn't that because the ref refused to change his mind on his decision?

There was one last season for Preston where the wrong player was sent off. Preston appealed and the ref admitted he got it wrong and the red card was given to the correct player. (off to Google I go..)

Preston v Port Vale, November 2013

Kilkenny sent off by mistake by the ref, should have been Garner
Preston appeal (for it being the wrong player and that no player should have been sent off)
Ref admits mistake in sending Kilkenny off but stands by decision to send a player off
Kilkenny wins his appeal for mistaken idendity and Garner is given the 3 game ban for the red card

Last edited:
Wasn't that because the ref refused to change his mind on his decision?

There was one last season for Preston where the wrong player was sent off. Preston appealed and the ref admitted he got it wrong and the red card was given to the correct player. (off to Google I go..)

Yes sir. My mistake, sorry, I forgot about that. The referee yesterday admitted he made a mistake so the other player will get the suspension.

Shearer also said that he felt referees needed some help as there are too many wrong decisions being made that are important to the game. Neville and Lineker agreed with him and added more voices to the growing concern that refs are struggling.
Lineker also said that the problem with progress is FIFA, which I feel shows again the power that Blatter wields as he does not want to use technology. Even the FA feels that there is a role for video technology and that a feasibility study would need to be carried out, but is being blocked by FIFA.

Frank do you think refereeing standards are getting worse in general? Personally I'm not so sure, the game is quicker and players are less honest / more canny depending on your viewpoint. 30 yrs ago MOTD had a couple of games from a couple of cameras, now all Prem games have 12 I think and everything is dissected.

Take the Bent incident on Friday night, in years gone by; firstly he wouldn't have gone down, secondly only those in the ground would see it and thirdly the Sporting Star letters page or Tony Butler phone in a week later would have been the only places for discussion.

You can't live in the past though Tony, and neither can FIFA.

Back