• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Road To Germany 2024

Pickford, Ramsdale, Butland

Walker, Trippier, Shaw, Maguire, Stones, Guehi, Branthwaite

Rice, Bellingham, Alexander-Arnold, Mainoo, Maddison, Jones, Eze

Kane, Watkins, Foden, Saka, Gordon, Palmer,

It has, just seems to be a lot more aggressive of late.
Some of it he brings on himself, picking players who can't get a game for their club sides, going to watch Henderson in his first game at Ajax, cautious approach in games with 2 holding midfielders, getting outcoached in big moments. The good outweighs the bad though

If you look at the players we had available in the 2000s and how badly we underachieved, Southgate has achieved more with less than almost all prior England managers. We aren't always great to watch, and we can be too pragmatic in style, but he gets results. Who out of today's team would undeniably get in a team that could field Rio Ferdinand, Ashley Cole, Gary Neville, David Beckham, Paul Scholes, Steven Gerrard, Frank Lampard, Wayne Rooney, Michael Owen etc etc (Im sure I've forgotten others)?

I hardly watch any non-Wolves football but I'll have a go anyway...

Pickford, Pope, Ramsdale
Walker, Trippier, Shaw, Stones, Maguire, Guehi, James, Colwill
Rice, Bellingham, Alexander-Arnold, Barkley, Jones
Foden, Saka, Palmer, Bowen, Maddison
Kane, Watkins

They didn't quite overlap but if you said Sven's best team across his time was something like:
James/Seaman
Neville Ferdinand Terry/Campbell Cole
Beckham Gerrard/Scholes/Lampard Cole
Owen Rooney

I'd have Pickford for James/ that version of Seaman, Walker for Neville, Kane for Owen. Bellingham must be close and I'd probably put Saka on the wrong side instead of Cole or play Foden there

Pickford, Ramsdale, Pope

Walker, Trippier, Stones, White, Guehi, Colwill, Shaw, Chilwell

TAA, Rice, Bellingham, Jones, Saka, Foden, Palmer, Maddison, Eze

Kane, Watkins, Toney

No place for Maguire or Rashford who are both shite. I don't care if they've played well in the past. Chilwell gets in assuming he's fit. We need someone who's really attacking on that side as a different option to Shaw.

We will have to agree to disagree. No way Seaman lets in the Origi goal for a start
The England version of Pickford is better than the Everton version, for whatever reason.

Also I've seen Seaman floundering a couple of times, such as the Nayim and Ronaldinho goals. I could just as easily say there's no way Pickford lets those two joke goals in.

If you're reaching back nearly six years to a goal in a game we arguably didn't even want to win, it suggests he doesn't do a lot wrong.

He's been excellent for Everton for years too.

If you're reaching back nearly six years to a goal in a game we arguably didn't even want to win, it suggests he doesn't do a lot wrong.

He's been excellent for Everton for years too.
Oh I assumed Pad meant the Origi Liverpool v Everton goal?

Branthwaite in and Phillips missing out for this squad by the sound of it

Back