• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

England World Cup Squad

Seems absurd. Even if he wouldn't make the first 11 he has to be seen as a future mainstay. So give him the experience of going.

Just shows Southgate isn't the only international manager whose selection is debatable. I remember thinking similarly in previous world cups when Fabregas and Anelka were left out after blinding seasons in the Prem.

He had a few call ups and from what I can gather, didn’t exactly pull up trees. So maybe the manager thinks he has better more experienced alternatives?

Disappointed for Ruben but from our point of view it is positive really. Keeps him out the shop window, no risk of injury and won't suffer from burnout during the season. Congrats to N'Diaye and Saiss, it is nice to see us be represented at the World Cup and I'm interested in how Saiss does in particular.

Back to England - with Young/Delph the versatility argument really doesn't win me over. Yes Delph can play LB and CM, but he is not good enough. Yes Young can play LB and wing, he is shit. Why not just swap one for Bertrand, a left-back, and another for Wilshere, a centre-mid. There we go, now we have players properly capable of playing in their position as well as depth, amazing! I'm disappointed Wilshere has not gone as he's our only semi-creative midfielder available. If he has not been included due to fitness concerns after making 38 appearances this season it boggles the mind. He's fully fit, this isn't 2016. If it is that then having Lallana as the standby player ahead of him is even stranger.

If we're lucky neither of those two play, Danny Rose stays fit and it is a null argument though. But if I'm watching us lumber towards a goalless draw with one of Tunisia or Panama and a midfield pairing of Dier and Henderson, twenty minutes to go and Southgate signals for Ashley Young to come off the bench and be the game changer you can bet I'm berating that idiot for not bringing Wilshere to Russia.

I think Neves is in the shop window already, regardless of whether he played in the world cup. It's not like scouting networks won't already be well aware of him and just how pivotal he's been for us this season.

Yes, the rest will do him good, physically (presuming he keeps up with the close season fitness plan), keep him injury free, and give him precious time with his new family. I just hope being left out doesn't knock his confidence at all.

I think his age(21), played a big part in the decision and that he played in the chumps...shouldnt though..his time will come in the national team

Ruben will be more interested in proving himself in the PL as a result. 2 fingers to being overlooked.

Ryan Sessegnon is now 18, btw....

Ryan Sessengnon (17) is now 18 surely.

I think Neves is in the shop window already, regardless of whether he played in the world cup. It's not like scouting networks won't already be well aware of him and just how pivotal he's been for us this season.

It always makes me laugh that the press still say that people are in the shop window at the World Cup. Most scouting networks above League 1 will have a global scouting network, they may not be as expansive as Man City's but I'm fairly sure they will know all of the players at the world cup and will have seen them at least once.

Adil Rami going to another World Cup over Laporte, Upamecano and Lenglet who are three of the best young centre halves in the game. Deschamps is bonkers.

The amount of talent left at home is absolutely absurd.

Laporte cost £50m and doesn't even have a cap!

Laporte messed around for a bit over whether he was going to play for France or Spain. Played through the French age groups, then said if he didn't get picked for Euro 2016 he would choose Spain. Started process of becoming available for Spain before now seemingly wanting to play for France again

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Yep, no Benzema, Payet, Martial, Laporte, Coman, Rabiot, Lacazette, Ben Yedder or Gignac.

Quite incredible. They'd all have a good, if not certain, chance of getting into the England XI.

Yep, no Benzema, Payet, Martial, Laporte, Coman, Rabiot, Lacazette, Ben Yedder or Gignac.

Quite incredible. They'd all have a good, if not certain, chance of getting into the England XI.

Dont get the Lacazette thing at all. Just don't see him as that good.

Certainly no where near Kane, or Vardy, even think Welbeck.is better just made of paper.

Harry Kane appointed England captain for the World Cup.

Lots of Liverpool fans crying about it on twitter. I don't think it makes much difference who it is, one of the things Southgate has done well to be fair to him is take a little bit of importance away from the role. He's rotated it often and has a leadership group (which includes Kane, Henderson, probably Cahill eugh).

Lots of Liverpool fans crying about it on twitter. I don't think it makes much difference who it is, one of the things Southgate has done well to be fair to him is take a little bit of importance away from the role. He's rotated it often and has a leadership group (which includes Kane, Henderson, probably Cahill eugh).

At the moment, Cahill is ahead of Jones blurgh

What would everyone's back 3 look like...

mine now very much looks like

Walker---------------Stones-------------------Maguire

Jones can fuck right off

I think those will be the three, I don't get why we've taken Jones AND Cahill when Dier is also in the squad. At least one of them won't play a single minute, take an extra attacking player who might do something off the bench.

Back