• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Euro 2016 watch

Nando

PTG Cup Winner 2013
Reaction score
With a few young English talents breaking through this season, I thought we could do with a thread to keep tabs on the predicted squad for next summer, and any general chat about the competition.

I imagine we'll be picking from this extensive pool of players, of which some will clearly have no chance unless we are savaged by injuries:

Goalkeeper - Joe Hart, Jack Butland, Fraser Forster, Ben Foster, Tom Heaton

Right Back: Nathaniel Clyne, Kyle Walker, Kieran Trippier,

Left Back: Leighton Baines,Luke Shaw, Kieran Gibbs, Danny Rose, Aaron Cresswell, Ryan Bertrand

Centre Back: Chris Smalling, John Stones, Gary Cahill, Phil Jagielka, Phil Jones, Scott Dann, Ryan Shawcross

Central Midfielders: Dele Alli, Eric Dier, Ross Barkley, Jordan Henderson, Jack Wilshere, James Milner, Michael Carrick, Fabien Delph, Jonjo Shelvey, Danny Drinkwater

Advanced Mids/Wingers: Raheem Sterling, Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain,Theo Walcott, Adam Lallana, Andros Townsend, Wilfried Zaha, Jesse Lingard

Forwards: Wayne Rooney, Harry Kane, Jamie Vardy, Daniel Sturridge, Danny Welbeck, Troy Deeney, Charlie Austin, Benik Afobe

Last edited:
Jones starting at RB in Slovenia tells you how much Hodgson rates him - to pick him ahead of a fully fit, in form Clyne at the time. He'll go if he's fit.

Before Shaw got injured I couldn't have seen Baines playing for England again. He was poor in the World Cup and isn't young now. He might get another go now although that said he won't be fit for any of our remaining games in 2015, so he doesn't have much chance to win the spot back. Probably helped by Gibbs not getting in Arsenal's team, although I'd rather give Bertrand a go. Please not Danny Rose.

Can see Dier going given he can cover three positions.

Grealish has to be in the mix given the hullabaloo over which team he'd pick. I don't think we'll ever go back to Ashley Young so you could swap him in there in the list of possibles.

I wouldn't rule Ings out of getting into the mix, Lallana needs to buck his ideas up fast.

Knew I'd miss a couple out - I've added them both in.

----------------Hart-----------------

Clyne----Smalling---Stones----Shaw

-------Milner--Carrick--Wilshere-----

------Sterling--Rooney--Welbeck----

I think that is the best XI we have from the above pool, going on international performances (well, Kane should push Rooney, but we all know that won't happen). Henderson looks like a wet lettuce for England, Sturridge boils my piss with his million sole rolls and constant fluffed chances, I don't have a great deal of time for Welbeck at club level but he rarely lets the national team down. Issue being as you say that three of that XI already have major question marks on how fit (if at all) they're going to be.

Ings and Alli in the senior squad by the sounds of it.

CQOp_SFWEAACpeg.png

Is Dross Townsend injured? If not then hopefully this is the end of him getting in every squad because he scored a decent goal once.

Told you Phil Jones was nailed on if fit.

Townsend is fit AFAIK, though only just come back from injury so that may explain it.

Can't see him featuring much for Spurs now they've got Son and N'jie in similar roles.

I've been impressed with Galloway for Everton so far this season. Very calm and composed given he's playing out of position.

I've been impressed with Galloway for Everton so far this season. Very calm and composed given he's playing out of position.

Is he qualified for England? He's from Zimbabwe I think.

Edit: Just seen the U21 squad so obviously he is.

He's in the U21 squad!

Included after 7 appearances in the last 18 months!

Solly March?? Dear God.

Cauley Woodrow & Jake Forster-Caskey the real shockers on that list. JFC will lose his place in the MK Dons team to Darren Potter when he returns this Sat.

Andros "mad skillz" Towsend is back in, along with Kyle "that wasn't my girlfriend" Walker.

Back