• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Euro 2016 watch

I'm surprised Troy Deeney hasn't made the England squad, for me he's the best conventional centre forward available.

Rooney's place in the squad has to start coming into threat soon. He's that bad.

I think we all know that unless he gets injured he's going to be in that squad, and in the starting line up. He is really awful at the moment, and where previously he has gone on a brilliant mini run of form in seasons he doesn't look capable of getting anywhere near that

I doubt very much that Rooney will be left out of the England team until after the 2016 tournament. After that then maybe he will be dropped, but Hodgson has so far made it clear that Rooney is his captain, and as such is guaranteed his place.

Squad vs Spain and France:

Goalkeepers: Jack Butland (Stoke City), Joe Hart (Manchester City), Tom Heaton (Burnley)

Defenders: Ryan Bertrand (Southampton), Gary Cahill (Chelsea), Nathaniel Clyne (Liverpool), Kieran Gibbs (Arsenal), Phil Jones (Manchester United), Chris Smalling (Manchester United), John Stones (Everton), Kyle Walker (Tottenham Hotspur)

Midfielders : Dele Alli (Tottenham Hotspur), Eric Dier (Tottenham Hotspur), Ross Barkley (Everton), Michael Carrick (Manchester United), Fabian Delph (Manchester City), Adam Lallana (Liverpool), James Milner (Liverpool), Jonjo Shelvey (Swansea City), Raheem Sterling (Manchester City)

Forwards : Harry Kane (Tottenham Hotspur), Wayne Rooney (Manchester United), Jamie Vardy (Leicester City)

Pretty slim pickings from that bunch.

It's pretty much a "picks itself" squad with the likes of Wilshere, Walcott, Sturridge, Henderson, Baines, Shaw and Welbeck all missing.

------------------------Hart--------------------------

Clyne----------Stones-------Smalling----------Bertrand

-----------Alli-------Carrick----Barkley----------------

----------Sterling----Kane----Vardy-------------------

Would be my pick, but don't have Vardy posted out really wide on the left. Welbeck doesn't play left wing when he fills that position for England.

Dier over Carrick for me. Carrick has been really poor whenever I've seen him.

I doubt many would argue with that sort of a lineup, apart from Mr Hodsgon of course. With all the injuries its definitely an opportunity to experiment. I suspect Roy will probably select what he believes to be his strongest lineup for the Spain game and then experiment more against the French.

I doubt many would argue with that sort of a lineup, apart from Mr Hodsgon of course. With all the injuries its definitely an opportunity to experiment. I suspect Roy will probably select what he believes to be his strongest lineup for the Spain game and then experiment more against the French.

It's a shame we have the injuries as we really need to find out whether we're actually any good, being as the qualifiers taught us nothing other than we can be pretty efficient against poor teams when we have to be.

France's squad:

CTDTRiiWEAAMkX0.jpg:large

Looks decent (apart from Ben Arfa and Gignac).

I'd expect them to line up something like:

-----------------------Lloris------------------------

Jallet----------Koscielny-----Sakho-----------Digne

-----------Matuidi----Pogba--Schneiderlin----------

---------Griezmann---Giroud----Martial-------------

Coman was excellent for Bayern last night so maybe him instead of Martial.

Griezmann is unreal. He's better just in behind the striker though.

Simeone has done wonders with him.

Bit surprised Payet isn't in their squad. He's been superb all season.

They have some really solid central midfielders, lacking bit up top though. Gignac is playing in Mexico, so really surprised to see him in there.

Griezmann is unreal. He's better just in behind the striker though.

Simeone has done wonders with him.

He had plenty to work with to be fair to Griezmann, didn't he manage about 20 goals for Sociedad before he went to Madrid?

Think he'd be well suited to the PL, seems to like to play at a high tempo.

Lacazette is crocked otherwise he'd be in there and obviously Benzema is in a bit of trouble. Fekir is another long term absentee.

They've got some brilliant young talent breaking through.

Keep an eye on Corentin Tolisso at Lyon, he looks like the real deal.

People are so weird, where do they get these expectations that England are going to go and play Spain off the pitch? Like it's a travesty that a team full of the best technical footballers in the world are going to be played off the pitch by a midfield containing Fabian Delph.

Back