• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Road To The Desert: World Cup 2022 Qualification

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is also one of the poorest Italian sides you’ll ever see.
Southgate is looking a bit clueless now what on earth the game plan tonight was I’ll never know.
So many half baked performances in particular Walker, Saka and Rice

Five games without a win, no goals in 3 consecutive games and none from open play in over 700 minutes.

Excellent prep for the world cup, Southgate getting pretty heavily booed by the England support.

It’s an utter utter shambles to be fair, he treated the 4 games in the summer like training camps and vastly over complicated things.
Twice in the space of 15 months he’s been outwitted by Mancini.
Completely reactionary management too doesn’t do anything productive until 1-0 down.
Simply cannot believe that’s the same Phil Foden as we watched on Saturday. Playing Saka at LWB it doesn’t work.

Just to add some insult to all this Scotland will probably be in the division above England when the nations league is played again. Cheers

It’s probably irretrievable now going into the World Cup. I think we’re now in pot 2 for the euro qualifiers. Yep it’s only nations league but it’s a bit of a slippery slope if you’re not careful.

Limped past Tunisia, nearly lost to Colombia only then to win in the lottery that is penalties. Beat a bang average Sweden side who’d struggle in the PL then got outclassed against Croatia.

In the Euros had a home tournament where we beat who we should be beating with large slices of luck along the way.

I’d say Southgate “doing a good job” is like saying Lage had done a good job because he won a few games in January and Feb

Last edited:
Lage and Southgate.

Exactly the same turgid, boring, soul less football served up by Lage.

Boring in possession and clueless in attack other than trying to get individuals to do their thing.

Southgate Interview on TalkSPORT is laughable “we are the right track” and “we’re close”
This World Cup reeks of the 2010 effort when it pretty obvious things weren’t going to end well.

Thing to ask with Southgate is which of the so called big 6 would employ him?
None of them, he’ll get a PL job after this but it’ll be at a club south of 6th place and probably a lot lower.

I don’t see why he’d get a PL job? He’s a worse coach than Lage but a better man manager.

He’s a nice bloke who had managed to put a smile on some world class players faces which has made them play somewhere closer to their ability than they have previously. But that isn’t enough and unless we’re the overwhelming favourite we don’t win.

This is also one of the poorest Italian sides you’ll ever see.
Southgate is looking a bit clueless now what on earth the game plan tonight was I’ll never know.
So many half baked performances in particular Walker, Saka and Rice
They weren't all that a year ago either despite the revisionist hype. Real missed opportunity that was. So many parallels with the Sven era.

They weren't all that a year ago either despite the revisionist hype. Real missed opportunity that was. So many parallels with the Sven era.

Very true Italy were awful in the first half of the final and should’ve been put away.
As said such a reactive manager, bit like someone closer to home.
9 times I’ve watched either England or wolves this season and just 5 goals they’ve managed.
Fair to say football is a grim affair currently.
His post match interviews were delusional to a point it’s very worrying.
It’s absolutely not a given that we’ll get out the group. People have looked at Iran and the USA and thought easy fodder before we play Wales.
Iran yes nothing special but by no means no mugs at all. USA functional but not a push over.
Wales won’t need any motivation to beat us either.
I’ll put good money on this being an absolute shambles of a World Cup where we’re drab barely score, scrape through the group then lose comfortably to The Netherlands in round 2.
To then be told by Southgate “the players gave it everything” or “we had no preparation time”
As for the players yes we’ve got some talent Kane, Bellingham, Foden spring to mind. But we’ve also got some vastly overhyped players.
Declan Rice just reminds me of another Scott Parker.
Whoever plays at the back are a car crash about to happen.
Playing Saka at LWB doesn’t work and makes him look far worse than he actually is.
People said it last night he’s trying to shoe horn his best players into the side.
Set the side up that allows your most creative players to play in far more advanced positions.
Stop having Foden dropping so deep, stop having Kane push wide to create anything.

Southgate with the Lage defence of ‘we were the better team’ and ‘the goals will come’. Even admitting he doesn’t know why we aren’t scoring right now.

Horrific manager.

With Southgate it was always the atmosphere he created in and outside the camp rather than the football itself. Those enabled him to get the results against the sides he should do which tbf wasn't the case with a lot of his predecessors. If he loses that he's just the same shite manager he was at Boro.

Southgate with the Lage defence of ‘we were the better team’ and ‘the goals will come’. Even admitting he doesn’t know why we aren’t scoring right now.

Horrific manager.

Yeah saying “we were scratching our heads” comment is just hilarious, you’re the fucking coach who’s paid very handsomely every year to work this out. Anyone can sit there saying “ I don’t know what else to do” then in the next sentence saying his sides on the right path.
I actually don’t think he could be doing any worse at the moment. So I thinking binning him off now (simply won’t happen) would’nt make our chances worse at the WC.

If there was an obvious alternative I think a bad result on Monday would give m the FA a decision to make. I don’t think there is [an obvious one] as the job is nowhere near as attractive as it was 30 years ago. Managers like Potter or Howe would have jumped at the chance to manage their country in the past, but no way do they leave a wealthy PL club now.

Any succession planning also ground to a halt when the appointed Aidy Boothroyd to take charge of the U19s and then the U21s.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back