• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Road To The Desert: World Cup 2022 Qualification

Status
Not open for further replies.
If there was an obvious alternative I think a bad result on Monday would give m the FA a decision to make. I don’t think there is [an obvious one] as the job is nowhere near as attractive as it was 30 years ago. Managers like Potter or Howe would have jumped at the chance to manage their country in the past, but no way do they leave a wealthy PL club now.
I'd still be asking Potter just to do it part time. It's in theory perfectly practical, and there'll be enough coaching staff at Chelsea to baby sit the few players that aren't on international duty.

I'd still be asking Potter just to do it part time. It's in theory perfectly practical, and there'll be enough coaching staff at Chelsea to baby sit the few players that aren't on international duty.
It isn't a job that can be done part-time.

That's just the FM player in you.

Yeah, that makes no sense to me at all. Been a lot of chances to work him into the team in the last year and now he’ll probably miss out on the World Cup squad because he “lacks international experience”

Yeah, that makes no sense to me at all. Been a lot of chances to work him into the team in the last year and now he’ll probably miss out on the World Cup squad because he “lacks international experience”
Especially when we have Maguire stinking the place out.

For me, this Nations League setup has highlighted the inadequacies of Southgate at the top table. England will generally beat the majority of the countries we come up against in European or World Cup qualifiers, because invariably we have better players. The way the Nations League works means we’re now playing top level teams more often (lets ignore the fact Italy and Germany are way off where they have been in the past few decades), meaning we can’t just rock up and turn teams over because we have superior players. Now we actually have to rely on the Manager to set us up correctly, to pick the right players for the squad, to make changes early when something’s not going to plan. He isn’t capable of doing this and that's why we've been relegated from the top group. He’s far too reactionary and negative and now he’s also falling back on his earlier stance that the “form players will be picked”.

There is no doubt at all that he has his favourites and he’ll continue to pick them, regardless. The squad is overloaded with defenders and full backs (yet he still picks an attacking winger as a full back?!) – it looks completely unbalanced. We rely far too heavily on Kane & we still have an issue with quality and depth in central midfield; all the while you have someone like James Maddison sat at home and can’t get a look in.

He may as well have the World Cup. No point in binning him of this close to a major tournament with no more games between now and then, but as soon as it’s over, he needs to step aside and we need some fresh ideas. Absolutely no way we do anything in this World Cup with him in charge, though. As I alluded to earlier, we’ll probably make hard work of it, but we’ll likely get through the group because we have good players. As soon as we come up against someone on a level with us we’ll lose because of the manager. That’s just how it is.

And by the same token the Nations League has been very helpful to the poorer sides - playing teams at their own level , and suddenly discovering what's it's like to win on a more regular basis .

From an Irish point of view , the match last Saturday v Scotland would in the past have been a friendly , with both sides not heading to Qatar . It would have lack any bite and there would have been a number of lads being tried out .
Instead we got a full bloodied encounter with plenty of entertainment that brought on both teams .

And by the same token the Nations League has been very helpful to the poorer sides - playing teams at their own level , and suddenly discovering what's it's like to win on a more regular basis .

From an Irish point of view , the match last Saturday v Scotland would in the past have been a friendly , with both sides not heading to Qatar . It would have lack any bite and there would have been a number of lads being tried out .
Instead we got a full bloodied encounter with plenty of entertainment that brought on both teams .
Yes, good game to watch as was Wales v Poland last night.
Much better than the sterile England performances of late.

Tonight is no more than a friendly but the nations league has worked and has virtually eradicated the pointless friendlies. Does the smaller sides a lot of good playing against equivalent ability and not just putting 10 behind the ball and being thrashed where they learn nothing.
If anything it’s given games relevance.

Nick Pope how big a touch do you want and could you be more casual

This is as bad as I’ve seen us in a fair few years. Completely mental that we’ve got players like Kane and Foden in the side but we’re just a hoof out of defence team. They can’t string two passes together.

Real bit of quality from Shaw opens up Germany good save in the end by Stegen.
Before that two proper keystone cops moments from Pope and Stones at the back.
Have a feeling this crowd will get toxic if we fall behind.

Two chances for Sterling. The sum total of turgid, boring, horseshoe of doom football.

Bruno Southgate strikes again.

It’s improved but still way off the mark, really not sure what the pundits are watching on C4 making out it’s been a very good half for England.

Dougall Maguire with some epic defending gives the ball away then makes a clumsy challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back