• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Rugby Thread

Fantastic interview with Steve Thompson this morning on the Beeb about head injuries and contact sports.

Articulating what has been know for a decade live on TV has such a powerful effect.
Former Rugby League legend James Graham's 6 episode podcast "Head Noise" is well worth a listen.

Some proper ropey refereeing in the final today. Clear sending off, but total inability to notice any forward passes from New Zealand.

Some proper ropey refereeing in the final today. Clear sending off, but total inability to notice any forward passes from New Zealand.
New Zealand getting refereeing decisions is a complete surprise isn’t it?

Some of the seatbelt clearing out was disgraceful and the hit on Dow was appalling and should’ve been a straight red.

Where was the referee from? The decision not to give a straight red to the NZ player was absolutely shambolic.

The TV producer won the game for NZ. Line out England. The kiwi complains to the ref that she didn’t touch it (detention for me if I did that at school!), England player injured, TV person puts the incident on the big screen, crowd boos, tmo overturns it and they score the winning try from the line out.

I’m sure there’s no integrity issue but seriously are they the best people to be officiating an England game in a final?

I’m sure there’s no integrity issue but seriously are they the best people to be officiating an England game in a final?
Come on - there is no reason why a Scottish or a Welsh woman should not be officiating an England game.

I thought there were just a lot of errors - forward passes, line outs not straight - but it was just that, nothing more.

The red card was the main factor in the game - I think it is a tough call in the pace and ferocity of a rugby game, but understand why they want to clamp down on it - up until then, it looked like an England rout.

The problem you have is who do you pick if teams are worried about such an issue. It's England v New Zealand so if you wanted to avoid old enemies then Scotland Wales France and Australia are out of the picture. What if the Italian, Irish, South African or Argentinian referees weren't considered good enough?

In the mens game Nigel Owens refereed plenty of England games.

The problem you have is who do you pick if teams are worried about such an issue. It's England v New Zealand so if you wanted to avoid old enemies then Scotland Wales France and Australia are out of the picture. What if the Italian, Irish, South African or Argentinian referees weren't considered good enough?

In the mens game Nigel Owens refereed plenty of England games.
You could also extend the argument and question whether an Argentinian, Irish, or South African referee would also have a historical grudge - with our track record, we’d soon run out of options!

Come on - there is no reason why a Scottish or a Welsh woman should not be officiating an England game.

I thought there were just a lot of errors - forward passes, line outs not straight - but it was just that, nothing more.

The red card was the main factor in the game - I think it is a tough call in the pace and ferocity of a rugby game, but understand why they want to clamp down on it - up until then, it looked like an England rout.
You think the non red card for the hit on Dow was the right decision?

And you're right the officiating was appalling, almost exclusively in the favour of NZ.

It almost ruined the game.

Personally I would have had the best referee, be that male or female ref the final. That goes for all sport.

You think the non red card for the hit on Dow was the right decision?

And you're right the officiating was appalling, almost exclusively in the favour of NZ.

It almost ruined the game.

Personally I would have had the best referee, be that male or female ref the final. That goes for all sport.
No - looked straight to the head to me - didn’t see the shoulder contact that made it yellow not red.

Officiating just seemed really inconsistent at times. The red card was the right call and it’s what changed the game.
Had England kept 15 on the pitch it would’ve been a comfortable win. Dread to think how Lydia Thompson is feeling right now.

Strong line up too. We are at best inconsistent, and more realistically just not very good this world cup cycle.

Back