• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Second Club Thread

Alan

…unlucky Del - No chance 😉
Reaction score
A place for anyone to post updates, highlights, results, etc. for any non-Wolves club they may support! The more the merrier, ay?

I'll get the ball rolling with an offseason tidbit I didn't expect: Fuchs has retired (not a surprise) and been given a role with Charlotte FC's coaching staff (that bit is a surprise). Think it's going to be good news for us as he really bought into the club and city; I'm happy to have him stick around and I imagine those remaining from last season's squad will feel the same.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charlotte_FC <- wiki for those who want a short history lesson on the club (we've only existed a year so I mean it when I say short).

In Italian football I like both Napoli and Salernitana. The latter are currently experiencing their first ever 2nd season in Serie A, always being relegated on their rare excursions in the past. My Italian family are from the southern region of Campania where both clubs are based and are currently the only Campanian clubs to be in the top flight. In the past Avellino have sometimes played in Serie A too.

Liking both Napoli and Salernitana is equivalent to cheering on both Wolves and West Brom!

I struggle with the concept of second clubs but that’s just me certainly a few I’ve got a soft spot for. Man City due to my Manc roots, Heart of Midlothian due to watching some of there games when I lived in fife.
Sampdoria due to ch4 coverage in the 90’s and their amazing strip.
If and when I move to Canada I’ll have to find a side there.

I'm bound to Charlotte FC by birth. Same as most of you to Wolves. :)

Second. Club…?
St Pauli to Wolves isn't even close BUT I did go to nearly all their home games when I lived there and it's 20+ years now that I've been following. Helps that they are very very unlikely to ever play each other.

Not very good this season. 3 wins. But equally because 2.Bundesliga is always a ridiculous league, only four points off 9th!

Ultimately staying at this level is a triumph, especially given over the last decade it's been more and more populated by massive clubs.

St Pauli to Wolves isn't even close BUT I did go to nearly all their home games when I lived there and it's 20+ years now that I've been following. Helps that they are very very unlikely to ever play each other.

Not very good this season. 3 wins. But equally because 2.Bundesliga is always a ridiculous league, only four points off 9th!

Ultimately staying at this level is a triumph, especially given over the last decade it's been more and more populated by massive clubs.
Don't they do an unusual amount of community work, as well? I know I've heard something about St. Pauli being a very grassroots club.

Don't they do an unusual amount of community work, as well? I know I've heard something about St. Pauli being a very grassroots club.
Absolutely tons.

I recommend this book:

9781907524417.jpg

I must stress that I didn't start following them in 2001 to be a hipster :) Just it was way nearer to where I lived than HSV was, a lot cheaper and a relegation fight (when you're not *that* invested) is more fun to go along with than just mid-table nothingness.

I've nothing against HSV, I like to see them do well but I don't have a big connection to them.

Does Joe Mason play in the Canadian Premier league now?

I still find this utterly baffling. For those who know Stafford I took the photo off west way in highfields. Possible the roughest part of town. Would love to know who and why it’s there.

4E8C72BC-5507-4C22-AA62-5C2D2C7A8CDD.jpeg

Dukla Prague for me, mainly due to the half man half biscuit song, did live in Prague for a while trekked out Julinska suburb to watch them, did a couple of away games, bit weird when the total away support fits into a 16 seat minibus and more often a Skoda Octavia!

Does Joe Mason play in the Canadian Premier league now?
He does, I saw him a couple of times as it was on BT Sport. It is NOT a good standard. Worse than the Conference I would say.

If it's a Canadian club that isn't in MLS, it's near enough a semi-pro outfit.

Easy measuring stick here. Mason in League One: 72 appearances, 15 goals. Mason in the CPL: 34 appearances, 15 goals.

So the CPL is roughly half as good as League One.

Never really had a second team, tended to look out for the little teams close to me such as Telford. I'm going all in with Charlotte now via Alan's updates.
I may end up with a Scottish team when my lad completes his move to Fife.

I still find this utterly baffling. For those who know Stafford I took the photo off west way in highfields. Possible the roughest part of town. Would love to know who and why it’s there.

View attachment 6670
Not guilty, your honour.

They currently have ex-Burton and Hull midfielder Jackson Irvine, probably the best player in the squad. Which speaks volumes.

He does, I saw him a couple of times as it was on BT Sport. It is NOT a good standard. Worse than the Conference I would say.

Hmm sounds grim unfortunately the 3 MLS sides are in Vancouver, Toronto and Montreal. I think my nearest team will be Halifax Wanderers.

Back