• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Second Club Thread

Hmm sounds grim unfortunately the 3 MLS sides are in Vancouver, Toronto and Montreal. I think my nearest team will be Halifax Wanderers.
I'm sure Garber (MLS commissioner) will be looking to add more Canadian clubs in a few years. Imagine Ottawa will be high on that list given they're bankrolled by Atletico.

EDIT: My Canadian geography is trash, Ottawa isn't even close to Halifax. 😅

I'm sure Garber (MLS commissioner) will be looking to add more Canadian clubs in a few years. Imagine Ottawa will be high on that list given they're bankrolled by Atletico.

Hopefully to be fair I enjoy football at any level so just being able to watch some live will be good.

So discussing this subject with my lads for when he moves to Fife, it appears choices are Dunfermline or East Fife. His aunt and uncle-in-laws are Hibs season ticketers but that would feel like we're being glory hunter wankers🤣

Was at this one too. Atmosphere in the away end was off the scale.

The captain there - Holger Stanislawski. I went back on one of my trips to Hamburg in 2004 and showed my ex the ground. He was there, still on the staff at the time. Saw us milling about, I explained that I used to be a regular and he let us inside to see all the stands, go on the pitch and then had a coffee with us. Absolute legend.

So discussing this subject with my lads for when he moves to Fife, it appears choices are Dunfermline or East Fife. His aunt and uncle-in-laws are Hibs season ticketers but that would feel like we're being glory hunter wankers🤣
In a very odd crossover way - it seems that the aforementioned St Pauli legend Thomas Meggle is on the board at Dunfermline! Really!

So I say go there :D

East Fife ground is interesting (Bay View) in Methil. As it sounds it’s right by the sea with just 1 stand which holds about 3k.

A place for anyone to post updates, highlights, results, etc. for any non-Wolves club they may support! The more the merrier, ay?

I'll get the ball rolling with an offseason tidbit I didn't expect: Fuchs has retired (not a surprise) and been given a role with Charlotte FC's coaching staff (that bit is a surprise). Think it's going to be good news for us as he really bought into the club and city; I'm happy to have him stick around and I imagine those remaining from last season's squad will feel the same.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charlotte_FC <- wiki for those who want a short history lesson on the club (we've only existed a year so I mean it when I say short).

Do Charlotte play in the same stadium as the Panthers?

Do Charlotte play in the same stadium as the Panthers?
Unfortunately.

I think there are plans for one (Garber is very much a proponent of soccer specific stadiums, with some exceptions) but the real estate market is absolutely absurd here at the moment and our owner is a greedy little slug of a man so I expect it'll be a while before anything concrete (heh) happens.

Unfortunately.

I think there are plans for one (Garber is very much a proponent of soccer specific stadiums, with some exceptions) but the real estate market is absolutely absurd here at the moment and our owner is a greedy little slug of a man so I expect it'll be a while before anything concrete (heh) happens.

74k capacity which is huge I assume parts of the stadium close if it’s not fully sold?
No worse than watching NYC play in Yankee stadium.

NYCFC is worse because the pitch is tiny. Smallest in the league by a big margin. They're getting a stadium of their own for 24/25, IIRC.

At the start of the season (aside from the inaugural match) they were only selling tickets for the lower bowl, roughly 34k capacity. But as the season went on demand was clearly higher than that, because they started opening up some sections in the upper bowl and those ended up being full, too.

Ended up averaging a hair over 35k for the season, good for second best in MLS (behind Atlanta, who always have 40k or more).

My favorite result from this past season. The eagle-eyed amongst you may spot a certain ex-Wolf wearing the Royal Blue.

EDIT: Bloody hell, he's right on the thumbnail.

NYCFC is worse because the pitch is tiny. Smallest in the league by a big margin. They're getting a stadium of their own for 24/25, IIRC.

At the start of the season (aside from the inaugural match) they were only selling tickets for the lower bowl, roughly 34k capacity. But as the season went on demand was clearly higher than that, because they started opening up some sections in the upper bowl and those ended up being full, too.

Ended up averaging a hair over 35k for the season, good for second best in MLS (behind Atlanta, who always have 40k or more).

I didn’t realise the crowds were that high I was expecting more late teens early twenties whilst the club developed but 35k> is excellent.
I will keep a look out for Charlotte once the MLS gets under way.

I didn’t realise the crowds were that high I was expecting more late teens early twenties whilst the club developed but 35k> is excellent.
Charlotte has an enormous Hispanic population that has been crying out for a professional football club for decades, which has absolutely helped.

We probably do more of our chants in Spanish than English. And certainly you hear "vamos" and "si se puede" equally as much as "let's go" and "come on boys", etc.

Stenhousemuir in Scotland because they always seemed to be number 58 on the pools coupon

Bath City because my dad was born 20 yards from their ground and he supported them all his life

I do have a second club which comes from the 1980's when I was young with a large mortgage, young children and not enough funds do do anything else - watched Woking regularly.

At a decent non league level & currently 4th in the National league (won't go up automatically as Notts Co & Wrexham are steaming away in a MC/Liverpool scrap, but well set inside the playoffs.

Get to a couple of games a year when I stay at one of my son's as he lives 1/2 mile from the ground. Weird ground though - 1 stand that would grace leaue 1 (or even some Championship sides) - 2 open terraces and a collection of wooden stands that I sat in in 1980 and were fairly old then.

I was also at the WB 2 - Woking 4 cup tie which was glorious.

My favorite result from this past season. The eagle-eyed amongst you may spot a certain ex-Wolf wearing the Royal Blue.

EDIT: Bloody hell, he's right on the thumbnail.
Echoes of Wolves 3-2 Man City in 2019!

Charlotte has an enormous Hispanic population that has been crying out for a professional football club for decades, which has absolutely helped.

We probably do more of our chants in Spanish than English. And certainly you hear "vamos" and "si se puede" equally as much as "let's go" and "come on boys", etc.

You’ve answered my next question was just about to ask how big of a Hispanic following do you get.

Echoes of Wolves 3-2 Man City in 2019!
Basically the entire season was riding on the match for both teams. A win kept either alive for one more week in the playoff race, a draw or loss and both/either would essentially (or officially, in the case of a loss) be eliminated.

Only regret is that it was an away match. If it had been at the Bank we would have torn the place down.

My local team Market Drayton Town FC (aka The Gingerbread Men..seen more strength in a Rich Tea tbh)...I can hear the screams of defeat from my back garden as they drift the short distance.

When I moved here they had been saved from relegation by Covid.
New season started. They managed 9 League games...lost them all and got dumped out of the FA Cup in one of the extra extra extra Prelim Rounds. Covid saved them again.

First full season
P 36. W 2 D 4 L30

Relegated to Tier 9

Time to bounce back. Got a good start as they won in the FA Cup and grabbed an opening day League victory.
Lost in the next round of the FA Cup.

League Record so far
P22 W 1 D 0 L 21

So, so shit but it's £5 to watch the opposition score 4 or 5, great pies and you can drink a beer whilst watching (presume the players neck a few before kick off)

Back