• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Squad 19/20

Which part, exactly? The numbers are what they are.

Jonny is a full back who can play wing back. He's a rarity as Denis Irwin was in that he can play both right and left back extremely effectively.

He may well have played more on the left because he's a bloody good left back and they tend to be in shorter supply then right backs.

He started out as a RB for Celta. He got moved to the left because he could use his left foot and they had a better player at RB. He's now played more games on the left but that still doesn't alter the fact he was a RB by trade.

He started out as a RB for Celta. He got moved to the left because he could use his left foot and they had a better player at RB. He's now played more games on the left but that still doesn't alter the fact he was a RB by trade.
Jonny is much better than Hugo Mallo. Probably got moved over to the left initially because they didn't have a decent option there or he was more flexible/less established than Mallo at the time.

Maybe they copied our 2016-17 strategy of owning no left backs at all.

18 months of that.

Jonny is much better than Hugo Mallo. Probably got moved over to the left initially because they didn't have a decent option there or he was more flexible/less established than Mallo at the time.
I don't think it's inaccurate to say that whatever he started as, once he was moved to the left he stayed there.

According to transfermarkt, at least...

Jonny has played 261 senior matches in his career. 52 of them have been on the right hand side. He hasn't played more than 10 matches on the right in a year since the 2015/16 season at Celta.

He's a left sided player who can play on the right, not the other way around, IMO.
What are Doherty's stats for playing LB? Doesn't make him one either...

What are Doherty's stats for playing LB? Doesn't make him one either...
Doesn't that kinda back up Alan? Jonny's played 25ish% at RB, Doc will have around 10% of his time at LB. Both play much more often on the other sides

Can we not talk about Doc at LB for a little while? It's disturbing.

If we talk about Helan it will make it better...

Why stop there?
f45779bb72a3e53c23473441c48e6465.jpg

Sav was a better LB than Doc or Mo, and quite comfortably too.

As was Stears, actually. We even played him there in the Premier League.

If Jonny plays on the right then he will ‘hold’ that side whilst Vinagre gets forward more, much like he does on the left when Doherty bombs forward on the right.

He wouldn’t be expected to be as effective going forward on the right as much as Doherty is.

Sav was a better LB than Doc or Mo, and quite comfortably too.

As was Stears, actually. We even played him there in the Premier League.

I always felt like Sav got a bit of a bum rep; I'm just adding him to the pile of non-LBs to play there for us.

If Jonny plays on the right then he will ‘hold’ that side whilst Vinagre gets forward more, much like he does on the left when Doherty bombs forward on the right.

He wouldn’t be expected to be as effective going forward on the right as much as Doherty is.

Jonny gets forward plenty, IMO.

Doesn't that kinda back up Alan? Jonny's played 25ish% at RB, Doc will have around 10% of his time at LB. Both play much more often on the other sides
That's not quite where I was going but point taken. More to say, you can play someone in a position but it doesn't make them someone who plays naturally in that position.

Jonny gets forward plenty, IMO.

He does. But he's less likely to directly score or assist.

Since Doc lost enough weight that he can actually get off the ground, he's good in the air at the back stick. Jonny can never match that as he's about my height and build.

Where's Connor Ronan these days? I don't think he went to China but I think he may have had a summer tournament so might be resting

Alexander Molberg is back with Hobro IK.

Back