• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Steve Morgan Legacy

Horror XI:

Ikeme (as Nando said, last season's version); Halford, Gorkss, Johnson, Clapham; Hunt, Jonsson, Doumbia, Pennant; Harewood, Maierhofer

Subs: Rowe, Zubar, Mancienne, O'Hara, Surman, Eastwood, Sagbo

Jesus, I forgot about Halford. He has to be shoehorned into my XI at the expense of Jelle.

Ikeme 15/16

Zubar
Johnson
D Ward
Doherty

Jonsson
Quashie
O'Hara
Hunt

Clarke
Holt

Notable mentions for Daniel Jones, Denes Rosa, Matt Hill, Nigel Quashie, Leon Clarke and Jake Cassidy.

Favourite game: Wolves 2 Man Utd 1. Brilliant. Just Brilliant. George Elokobi dancing in the corner after he'd scored...

Least favourite game: Wolves 1 Blackburn 1. Go and read the verdict thread from that game. Some very, very angry Wolves fans. - http://www.wolvesforum.co.uk/showth...ckburn-The-Verdict-Thread&highlight=blackburn

Best performance: Wolves 3 Tottenham 3. Robbed by the ref.

Worst performance: Brentford 4 Wolves 0.

Best signing: Kenny Jackett. His departure can't come quick enough for me but he was just the right man at the right time. Such a crucial appointment. If Morgan had got that wrong, we'd stayed down for two seasons and then put the club up for sale we could've have ended up like Blades. No Chinese billionaires, no links to super agents, no chance of keeping our young stars, no hope for the future.

Honourable mentions to Sam Ricketts, Nouha Dicko & Bakary Sako.

Worst signing: Stefan Maierhofer. I think Morgan actually had a hand in this one so I'm giving it to the Hoff. He'd seen Peter Crouch have a good game for Liverpool in the Champions League and decided we needed a basketball player up front.

Honourable mentions to Eggert Jonsson, Leon Clarke, Marcus Bent, Grant Holt & Tommy fucking Rowe.

Best moment: Either promotion or last day survival.

Worst moment: The dawning realisation that we'd appointed an absolute clown in Dean Saunders and the previous year & a half of misery was only going to get worse.

Honourable mention: Morgan's worst personal moment would have to be storming into Mick McCarthy's dressing room after Liverpool had beaten us. What the fuck was he thinking?

Hero of the Morgan era: Jack Price's beard.

Villain of the Morgan era: Dean Saunders

Best XI:

Hahnemann

Iorfa Craddock Berra Ward

Jarvis Henry McDonald Sako

Dicko Fletcher​

SUBS: Ebanks-Blake, Hennessey, Foley 07-09, Afobe, Jones, Stearman, Kightly

Horror XI:

Ikeme 15/16

Ebanks-Landell Gorkss Elokobi

Halford-------------------------------------------Rowe

Quashie Manceinne Jonsson

Cassidy Clarke​

SUBS: Holt, Pennant, Guedioura, Ojo, O'Hara, Bent, Harewood
Manager: Dean Saunders
Referee: Mike Halsey

Had he? Fuck me I've wedded the 3 m's together too much :facepalm:

Favourite game: Liverpool 0 Wolves 1. Never ever thought I'd witness Wolves win at one of the big boys in their own backyard, much less be well worth the win. A brilliant night.

Honourable mentions: Charlton 2 Wolves 3 *that* SEB goal and the bedlam of Henry nicking it.

Least favourite game: Wolves 1 Huddersfield 3 2013. An abject surrender with Sean Scannell running rings around us and O'Hara capitulating. I left that day knowing there was no saving us.

Best performance: 5-1 Forest. Dismantled them in 45 minutes.

West Ham 1 Wolves 3 a thoroughly wonderful performance.

Worst performance: Fulham 5-0 was one of the abjectest performances that springs to mind.

Best signing: Dicko. Brought the best out of the team around him and integral to our game plan. No Dicko, No disco. I think his signing actually improved Sako too.

Honourable mentions: Sako, Ricketts, Fletcher and Kightly.

Worst signing: Eggert Jonnson, just why? Never looked even close to the quality needed.

Honourable mentions: Craig Davies, Leon Clarke, Marcus Bent, Grant Holt, Sheyi Ojo

Best moment: Feeling my connection to the club returning after the two previous years of disaster. Largely owing to Ken.

Worst moment: losing faith in Kenny Jackett last season. He has conducted himself in a respectful, dignified way from day one. He helped rebuild all of those shattered bridges and took us up with several broken records. I refuse to accept that 'anyone could've achieved promotion with our budget' and have immeasurable respect for the man. L season seeing him scratch around with baffling selections poor substitutions and everything else was horrible to see. It's a shame he's going out as a lame duck and I hope one day he returns to for the ovation he richly deserves

Hero of the Morgan era: Mick McCarthy

Villain of the Morgan era: Dean Saunders

Best XI:

Hennessey

Jarvis Henry Jones Sako

SEB Fletcher​

SUBS: Dicko, Hahnemann, Foley, Ricketts, Afobe, Stearman, Kightly,

People going on about the 5-1 Forest game - I was in the directors box with Squeeze for that game. She got the tickets as a prize for work done at the NHS Trust. We were sat next to Stuart Pearce.

IT WAS GLORIOUS.

Favourite game: West Ham 1 - 3 Wolves
Least favourite game: Wolves 1 - 5 WBA
Best performance:Liverpool 0 - 1 Wolves
Worst performance: Wolves 1 - 5 WBA
Best signing: Sako
Worst signing: Fat Fuck Holt
Best moment: Afobe hits the bar against Derby (2-0) and I fell backwards over the back of my seat behind the goal. All captured on Central News. Glorious. (Or Fletcher to make it 3-1 against WBA).
Worst moment: Saunders unveiled.
Hero of the Morgan era: Sako.
Villain of the Morgan era: Saunders. Utter fucking clownshoe.

Best XI:

Ikeme

Halford Johnson Bassong Elokobi

Halford O'Hara Coady Rowe

Clarke Holt​

Favourite game - Wolves 4 v Leeds 3 only cos I was there & the last minute winner with the SB going beserk (I am ignoring the fact that we should have easily closed the game off at 3 - 1 up)

Least favourite - Wolves 2 - QPR 3. 2 up and cruising then someone turns off the footballing capability switch (plus it was the evening I fell & buggered my hand,spending 6 hrs in A&E)

Best Perf - Wolves 2 - Man Utd 1

Worst - Wolves 1 - West B 5

Best signing - Bakary Sako

Worst - Tommy Rowe (I will exclude the likes of Holt, Mairhoffer etc. as they are not really footballers), but he was supposed to be a championship level left sided midfielder - he wasn't

Best Moment - getting out of Lg 1 at the first go (others have been stuck & it wasn't a given)

Worst - going to lg 1 in the first place

Hero - Kenny J for dealing with the fall out from the worst moment & getting us the best one

Villain - Morgan himself for appointing Saunders (I'm not going to give this to Deano as he was out of his depth & should not be appointed as a manager anywhere to protect him from himself)

As to Morgan's legacy some good bits & some bad bits - though its a bit like the referendum result in that it ends up 52% to 48%

Langers Questionnaire...(based on games i was at or witnessed on TV)

Favourite game:Wolves 6 Rotherham 4
Least favourite game: Wolves 1 Albion 5
Best performance: Wolves 5 Forest 1
Worst performance: Derby 5 Woves 0
Best signing: Fletcher
Worst signing: Roger Johnson
Best moment: Keogh winner at Derby in 2008/2009 - Absolute scenes in the away end
Worst moment: Appointment of Connor - actually felt sorry for him
Hero of the Morgan era: Sako - didn't have to play out league one, fair play to him. Many would have forced move.
Villain of the Morgan era: Roger Johnsn followed by O'Hara

Favourite game: Barnsley away in the promotion season

Least favourite game: the 1-5 vs WBA

Best performance: the Hammers 1 Wolves 3

Worst performance: Derby away 5-0. So clear we were going to be dicked from the opening minute.

Best signing: Sako, most excting player I've seen in a Wolves shirt since Robbie Keane

Worst signing: Johnson, Halford, Maiherhoffer too many to mention tbh!

Best moment: Forest away 1-0, the ball runs across the penalty area to Kightly who lets fly, enter monumental celebrations and a knowledge that we were going up (it wasn't confirmed obvs, but it felt certain!)

Worst moment: Sitting in the Littern Tree post the 1-5 WBA debacle, all of us staring into our pints knowing MM was getting sacked and relegation was impending.

Hero of the Morgan era: Dave Edwards

jokes :) really it's Mick McCarthy, but an honourable mention for KJ - some of the football at the end of last season was sublime and the work he did in L1 was top notch.

Villain of the Morgan era: Dean Saunders, worst manager I have ever seen.

Best XI:

Hennessey

Kightly Price KMac Sako
(v14-15)

SEB Dicko

SUBS: Doyle, Hahnemann, Foley, Ricketts, Afobe, Stearman, Jarvis,

Morgan has done well for us overall IMO. So has Moxey. Left us attractive to this buyout thats a fact.
So glad he started the ground expansion, brilliant academy, he has a lot to be proud of and I thank him for that.

Morgan has done well for us overall IMO. So has Moxey. Left us attractive to this buyout thats a fact.
So glad he started the ground expansion, brilliant academy, he has a lot to be proud of and I thank him for that.

Morgan and Moxey are not the villains they are often painted out to be. That said Morgan will I feel be remembered as a nearly man. There were a number of good things he invested in the infrastructure of the club but in other ways we never quite fulfilled the potential we felt when SJH handed the club over. Moxey has done his job as a CEO and gets brownie points for his transfer fees that he negotiated when selling players. I wish them both well for the future but look forward to the new era.

Back