• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Summer 2018 Transfer Thread

I agree. He's looked exciting, but extremely naive. Obviously I didn't watch it, but playing 90 minutes in a under 23 game where we've been slapped 6-1 by Villa last night probably isn't going to do his chances of getting in ahead of Douglas any favours. If the fee for Vinagre is low, then I'd be all for signing him in the summer to see how he develops over the next couple of years, but I don't see him as someone ready for PL football as soon as next season - so I'd say we're almost certainly going to strengthen that area.

4 at the back, left back, for the game last night don't forget. Bit different.

If fulham don't make it, Sessegnon would be worth pursuing. Likely to have a strong chance of game time here too.

Sessegnon will be heading to a Champions League team. Way out of our league, even allowing for what we are now.

I find it difficult to contribute to this thread without feeling that it is tempting fate somewhat.
Don't get me wrong, once we are sure of promotion no-one would enjoy a thread like this more than I will.

I know we are currently 13 points clear of third place but with 14 games to go, things can change so quickly esp. at 3pts per game.
The standard of refereeing is questionable in this division, so a few yellow/red cards coupled with an injury or two and we could be struggling to get over the line.

Nuno and his team have been fantastic for us but no-one gets it right all the time (ask Pep this morning), so I'm going to wait before making any assumptions of where we will finish.

This is just my opinion and not meant to criticize anybody else nor act as a WUM, it's just how I feel.

Sessegnon will be heading to a Champions League team. Way out of our league, even allowing for what we are now.

Theoreticall ytrue mate. People said the same about Neves however. Neves has probably benefitted by being able to play week in week out. We could push ourselves to someone like Sessegnon in that we won't allow him to become a scott sinclair type player.

I find it difficult to contribute to this thread without feeling that it is tempting fate somewhat.
Don't get me wrong, once we are sure of promotion no-one would enjoy a thread like this more than I will.

I know we are currently 13 points clear of third place but with 14 games to go, things can change so quickly esp. at 3pts per game.
The standard of refereeing is questionable in this division, so a few yellow/red cards coupled with an injury or two and we could be struggling to get over the line.

Nuno and his team have been fantastic for us but no-one gets it right all the time (ask Pep this morning), so I'm going to wait before making any assumptions of where we will finish.

This is just my opinion and not meant to criticize anybody else nor act as a WUM, it's just how I feel.
Chill ya beans Man we are the real deal, if they put everyone back to nil points now we'd still be favourites

That's fair enough and normally nobody is more realistic/conservative than me, but to get 92 points which will guarantee promotion we need to win 5 draw 5 and lose 4 of our remaining games. Reality says we probably don't need that. Within those games we have 6 of the bottom 7 to play 4 of which are at home when they are likely to need wins rather than points. Even if we were to lose to Boro, Cardiff, Villa and Fulham away, which I don't think will happen, but is conceivable, I cannot see a scenario whereby two teams catch us given they all have to play each other as well.

That's fair enough and normally nobody is more realistic/conservative than me, but to get 92 points which will guarantee promotion we need to win 5 draw 5 and lose 4 of our remaining games. Reality says we probably don't need that. Within those games we have 6 of the bottom 7 to play 4 of which are at home when they are likely to need wins rather than points. Even if we were to lose to Boro, Cardiff, Villa and Fulham away, which I don't think will happen, but is conceivable, I cannot see a scenario whereby two teams catch us given they all have to play each other as well.

I'm sure you're right TT, I haven't got the faith that others have that we are up already and I don't want to tempt faith, not just yet.

We have been clearly going up since October. This just isn't a comparable scenario to the great choke.

We have been clearly going up since October. This just isn't a comparable scenario to the great choke.

I'm sure you're right too, Paddy. I'm still pinching myself that this is happening the way it is.

I'm sure you're right too, Paddy. I'm still pinching myself that this is happening the way it is.

Look at it this way. We still have to play Fulham, Villa, Derby, Cardiff. We could lose ALL of those games, yet still win the league comfortably. And although it's not unlikely that we'll come away unbeaten from those fixtures, we're a better side than all of those sides and if any of them catch us on form, they won't beat us. Do you really think Nuno would allow our standards to slip to that degree?

And anyway, taking those games away for a moment, here are our other home fixtures:

Norwich
Reading
Burton
Hull
Birmingham
Sheffield Wednesday

Not saying we'll win all of these, but you'd expect a decent haul, wouldn't you? Even if we weren't on top of our game - we should be averaging 2 ppg there. Which - if we do - would put us on 84 points. I would be surprised if 2 other teams reach that total.

I've not factored in the games mentioned at the start, or ANY of our other away fixtures, which include Sunderland and Bolton.

All this 'mind the gap' stuff hasn't just been made up for no reason. There's a bloody big gap there, and with our remaining fixtures, everyone else's remaining fixtures, the squad we have, the confidence we have, the coach we have, the support we have - we are not going to fuck this up.

I'll leave you to your thoughts and will read your posts with interest, and keep my fingers crossed.

Look at it this way. We still have to play Fulham, Villa, Derby, Cardiff. We could lose ALL of those games, yet still win the league comfortably. And although it's not unlikely that we'll come away unbeaten from those fixtures, we're a better side than all of those sides and if any of them catch us on form, they won't beat us. Do you really think Nuno would allow our standards to slip to that degree?

And anyway, taking those games away for a moment, here are our other home fixtures:

Norwich
Reading
Burton
Hull
Birmingham
Sheffield Wednesday

Not saying we'll win all of these, but you'd expect a decent haul, wouldn't you? Even if we weren't on top of our game - we should be averaging 2 ppg there. Which - if we do - would put us on 84 points. I would be surprised if 2 other teams reach that total.

I've not factored in the games mentioned at the start, or ANY of our other away fixtures, which include Sunderland and Bolton.

All this 'mind the gap' stuff hasn't just been made up for no reason. There's a bloody big gap there, and with our remaining fixtures, everyone else's remaining fixtures, the squad we have, the confidence we have, the coach we have, the support we have - we are not going to fuck this up.

Get out of here with your fucking logic, reason and "facts".

So the hand wringing about it is bizarre. My personal favourite bit of logic for doubting our chances has been - remember 2002 and our choke, we are bound to fuck it up and let Derby in.

I mean, seriously. 2002 - Ruben Neves and Diogo Jota were in primary school. Nobody in our side was playing professional football then anywhere (apart from maybe Ruddy). NO person remains at the club on the playing side, coaching or in the boardroom from 2002. But we are bound to fuck up, and let in a team who have butchered great positions several times in recent seasons, with those same players still at the club and scarred by it.

It just defies logic to think that way.

Ruddy made his pro debut in May 2004.

We are NOT serial bottlers, this is a massive myth.

Dave Jones fucked that up. Nothing to do with an endemic issue with Wolves. It was Dave Jones.

Back