• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Summer 2018 Transfer Thread

If we do end up wanting to upgrade on Coady - and I think he should be given the chance to fight for his place, for the record, but, if we do make a big signing for the middle of the back three - then there’s one player who stands out to me as a notable combo of big name prestige and experience of that role at the highest level: David Luiz.

Probably on his way out at Chelsea and getting older these days, could be reasonably priced...

A player like Luiz is reliant on his motivation levels though. If he came to us for silly money/wages would he really want to throw himself on the line game after game? He already looks half arsed as it is. Not for me. He'd be the epitome of a waste of money IMO.

We need to carry on buying younger players looking to make their mark in front of the big clubs and the biggest audience in the world.

Luiz is 30% genius, 70% bellend. I wouldn't want him here.

What about Vorm as a keeper target? Purely because someone mentioned a keeper who was better on the ball in a thread the other day, he is better on the ball, better talent wise, experience of wingbacks and 3cb systems, and is a backup currently.

What about Vorm as a keeper target? Purely because someone mentioned a keeper who was better on the ball in a thread the other day, he is better on the ball, better talent wise, experience of wingbacks and 3cb systems, and is a backup currently.

I'd be thrilled with Vorm. Great keeper.

He is 34, older than Ruddy and left a PL team to go into semi retirement at another. Not for me.

This thread is going to be the sexiest thread in TWF history..
Post of the year contender. Have been waiting for this thread to start!

For my money, GK is last on the list, unless a bargain is available that we can't turn down. Look forward to seeing Norris develop further.

Personally I don't expect N'Daiye to stay. So we need at least 1 more CM to go with Neves, Saiss & MGW.
Bonatini to be back up next year. Not thinking Afobe suits our style, however if he shows sufficient, and is chaep from bournemouth, would consider him as an option. Think we'll see a striker come in, plus cover/back up for Costa/Cav/Jota.
Suspect we could see 2 come in for the back 3 to play alongside Boly.
Vinagre on a permanent, but 2 wing backs also.
Given how last summer went, I expect this summer will exceed my expectations. I also expect we'll jettison quite a few who aren't playing, including most of those on loan.

I’m pretty sure that if we don’t sign N’Diaye but go up, we still have to pay most of the agreed transfer fee, so we’ll probably sign him for the squad anyway.

Wing backs for me are the most important signings. No idea who the right sided one should be though.

I’m pretty sure that if we don’t sign N’Diaye but go up, we still have to pay most of the agreed transfer fee, so we’ll probably sign him for the squad anyway.

Wing backs for me are the most important signings. No idea who the right sided one should be though.
Well who have you got in mind for the left?

Think Janmaat would be a good improvement on Doherty but seems to be back in the Watford side now so might be unlikely.

He is 34, older than Ruddy and left a PL team to go into semi retirement at another. Not for me.

Age has zero relevence mostly for a keeper (athleticism aside) unless you would also turn down Buffon for being too old?

Well who have you got in mind for the left?

Think Janmaat would be a good improvement on Doherty but seems to be back in the Watford side now so might be unlikely.

Telles or Jonathan silva would be my choice - though I’d love us to sign vinagre too

Why do you think that??

Was in the reports at the time we signed him - something along the lines of he’ll cost £8m to make permanent or half of that if we don’t sign him (it was a while ago, but something along those lines)

Claudio Bravo could be fed up of sitting on the bench every week, he would add an extra dimension.

Don't want to sign any new keeper until Norris has been given a chance. Think he could be a really top goalie.

All for that, personally if we can seal automatic it would be good to see him in league action.

Don't want to sign any new keeper until Norris has been given a chance. Think he could be a really top goalie.
I agree with this, every time I have seen him so far he has been superb even at Swansea when the rest of the team were having a bit of a mare he did well.

He needs games before the end of the season and I really hope he gets them.

I agree about Norris. He looks like he has the potential to be a top goalkeeper.

For me, Ruddy has done nothing wrong and certainly doesn't deserve to come in for criticism. He is good enough to continue as first choice until Norris takes over. GK isn't one of the positions we should be looking at strengthening in the summer IMO.

Telles or Jonathan silva would be my choice - though I’d love us to sign vinagre too

I know nothing of either of those, I'm still yet to see why there's such furore around Vinagre too, considering he's only played a handful of games people seem to have a very high opinion of him. Personally I've only really seen him once, against Man City, and I didn't think he really looked anything special, very vulnerable defensively in that game and save for one late bit of skill against Walker he showed nothing going forwards either.

Claudio Bravo could be fed up of sitting on the bench every week, he would add an extra dimension.

An extra dimension of shit?

I know nothing of either of those, I'm still yet to see why there's such furore around Vinagre too, considering he's only played a handful of games people seem to have a very high opinion of him. Personally I've only really seen him once, against Man City, and I didn't think he really looked anything special, very vulnerable defensively in that game and save for one late bit of skill against Walker he showed nothing going forwards either.
I agree. He's looked exciting, but extremely naive. Obviously I didn't watch it, but playing 90 minutes in a under 23 game where we've been slapped 6-1 by Villa last night probably isn't going to do his chances of getting in ahead of Douglas any favours. If the fee for Vinagre is low, then I'd be all for signing him in the summer to see how he develops over the next couple of years, but I don't see him as someone ready for PL football as soon as next season - so I'd say we're almost certainly going to strengthen that area.

I think it is just quite clear how much potential Vinagre has.

He was brilliant against Southampton in the cup, did ok against Man City and has had some good league performances (scoring v burton too) while Douglas was injured. If we have the option to sign and Vinagre wants to he'd be a no brainer IMO.

Back