• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Telegraph Reports

Sniffer

Staff member
Reaction score
Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink
Tommy Wright
Massimo Cellino

All named in the Telegraph as part of their latest relevations.

Tommy Wright suspended before the story broke. Filmed accepting 5k in cash to assist an agent in signing Barnsley players.

If you were asking me to name a manager with links to QPR who I suspected would be implicated in this...then JFH certainly wouldn't be making the top two.

That said the two I have in mind might never manage anyone ever again in any case on the basis that they're both ancient, so unless they've broken the law rather than the footballing code of conduct then there might be no value in going after them.

What I don't understand is how is Sky/BBC/ITV offering a manager thousands of pounds to become a pundit any different to someone offering them thousands of pounds to do an after dinner speech?

What I don't understand is how is Sky/BBC/ITV offering a manager thousands of pounds to become a pundit any different to someone offering them thousands of pounds to do an after dinner speech?

I imagine it has to be declared to your employer or the same fate would apply. The fact Alladyce is doing it to investors with a vested interest in breaking FIFA rules is probably the biggest difference between the 2 situations.

That really only applies to the situation they nailed Allardyce with. Buying and selling players from certain agents and groups because you are getting a nice kickback is a whole different issue, even more so when those kickbacks are paid in fat wads of notes and aren't declared for tax purposes.

For me the Cellino one is actually the weakest evidentially, and by quite a large margin.

If I buy 20% of a club I would expect to own a 20% interest in the assets, including value of playing staff. However the club would still 100% own the player so I don't think that is third party ownership at all. Just a business transaction.

For me the Cellino one is actually the weakest evidentially, and by quite a large margin.

If I buy 20% of a club I would expect to own a 20% interest in the assets, including value of playing staff. However the club would still 100% own the player so I don't think that is third party ownership at all. Just a business transaction.

He had interesting views on the level and perhaps sophistication of corruption in English football - The Historymakers might be in for shock that it's not confined to Spanish olive farmers or indeed the EU.

The point is that what Cellino has said is correct. Third party ownership is not allowed, so the only way to own an interest in a player's registration is to buy a percentage of the club that owns the registration. The club still owns 100% of the player, but you own an interest in the club. It just seems completely logical and not breaking any rules. Unless every club is 100% owned by one individual it would be the case everywhere as players are assets.

Didn't they offer him £55,000 for an after dinner speech? That's about 10 or 20 times what he could reasonably expect.

The scene at The Telegraph right now.

Tune in tomorrow and every day because we'll be revealing embarrassing secrets about football's other managers.

latest

The best way to sell papers and advert clicks is a slow drip of info though. It doesn't work like the days of Watergate any more.

From Stan Collymore's twitter feed.

"If the list I've just seen is true, IF it's true, football in England will never ever ever be the same."

I'm still not sure I understand what exactly these people on the list are supposed to have done wrong.

I've seen a list of 8 managers- some with clubs and some without. There are some pretty big names on it, if it's true!

Think we can all guess at the biggest name on the list...

FA boss Greg Clarke admits it doesn't have the judicial powers to tackle corruption.

FA boss Greg Clarke admits it doesn't have the judicial powers to tackle corruption.

I feel a whitewash coming up.
F.A. desparately trying to protect their own backs (and salaries and expenses of course).

Back