• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Transfer Thread 2020/2021 - Everything not Wolves

Status
Not open for further replies.
If i assumed we would be big spenders then that’s news to me!
(thought I’d check Just in case 😬🤣)
Well our net spend was £105m ish and we still returned a theoretical £20m profit. With our net spend being zero for this season, Covid costing us little then surely it’s more than that.

For easy maths let’s say all our signings are on 4 year deals. Amortisation goes up £20m, but the Costa and Jota amortisation comes off too so let’s call that £2.5m each. Net £15m. But then we factor in £80m of player sales we’ve got £65m to play with just from that.

Given we turned a profit with a net spend of £105m we must have some kind of additional budget. Plus the £20m profit from 2019, the theoretical profit from 2020 (we got the money eventually just not in those accounts). So that’s £105m minimum plus whatever the normal budget is (minus impact of covid, £20-30m at most for me). That’s potentially double £60m without any sales.
I don’t think we will spend it no. But I don’t think we need to sell to buy like Tim is suggesting.

If it’s my money I’m spending £20m on Vitinha and then £80m on 3 players. What positions they are in depends on the long term plan, only Nuno knows that.

Even after that we’ve got money spare and if we get some money in for unwanted players then even better.

Soend any less than that then our recruitment was either shit hot and we got gems for cheap or more likely we have another season treading water/falling behind.
Not sure how it’s entitled, it’s just doing the maths. I might be 50% out on my calculations/assumptions, but that’s still nowhere near £60m net.

Given what we’ve spent in 18/19 and 19/20 yet still made a profit, what we bought in fee wise in 20/21, what other like minded clubs are spending (who are making less money due to bigger squads/higher wages), what they stand to lose in comparison from Covid, what the apparent ambitions of the ownership are, then yes, I would say that is insignificant. Puts us closer to the Crystal Palace model than a top 6 pushing team.

Nothing wrong with the Palace model, the fans and owners know where they’re at. They haven’t given it the big talk saying they’re going to going to be the next City, 10 year plans, there’s money to spend, return to former glories etc.

My view hasn’t changed. If they really want to push on then they need to spend, and we have the wriggle room to do that

If they want to be Crystal Palace then be tight. But then you will get Crystal Palace results. And Crystal Palace don’t crow about growing the brand etc.

At no point do I expect them to do anything. Just state what I thing we should do and what I think we need to do

If i assumed we would be big spenders then that’s news to me!
(thought I’d check Just in case 😬🤣)

My view hasn’t changed. If they really want to push on then they need to spend, and we have the wriggle room to do that

If they want to be Crystal Palace then be tight. But then you will get Crystal Palace results. And Crystal Palace don’t crow about growing the brand etc.

At no point do I expect them to do anything. Just state what I thing we should do and what I think we need to do
Post in thread 'General Wolves News' https://www.wolvesforum.co.uk/index.php?threads/general-wolves-news.26036/post-1416673

Come on, you thought we would. We just aren't going to spend our "decent budget"

What? 🤣
Clutching now!

We are loaded from a books perspective from my calculations, we should have room to spend. Doesn’t mean I think we’re going to “splash the cash”. (Which I’ve literally quoted...).

Should wolves spend £120m IMO - yes.
Will they. No.

Will Villa et al.? Probably. That is why we will have “another season treading water/falling behind”.

There’s plenty of other posters with “arrogance”, hyperbole etc. I don’t think I’m one of them.

Firstly I didn't mention you, you called yourself out.
Secondly, you just started selectively quoting yourself, so I looked for alternatives.
Thirdly, you were the one who implied Spiers was talking crap and gave your own opinion, when everything coming out from the club would suggest it was accurate.

It's not my fault you've been mislead

Firstly I didn't mention you, you called yourself out.
Secondly, you just started selectively quoting yourself, so I looked for alternatives.
Thirdly, you were the one who implied Spiers was talking crap with your own, when everything coming out from the club would suggest it was accurate.

It's not my fault you've been mislead
1- Yes I tackled it to ensure you weren’t tarring me with that brush. 2 - again I made sure there was evidence and I wasn’t talking shit. 3 - wolves don’t NEED to sell to buy (if my numbers are right, they aren’t £60m out I’ll tell you that). If they CHOOSE not to that then they are stupid, we will fall behind/won’t progress.

Its literally all there in black and white.

I haven’t been mislead. You just seem to think I have 🤷🏻‍♂️.

Last edited:
I thought this thread was for non-Wolves transfer talk?

1- Yes I tackled it to ensure you weren’t tarring me with that brush. 2 - again I made sure there was evidence and I wasn’t talking shit. 3 - wolves don’t NEED to sell to buy (if my numbers are right, they aren’t £60m out I’ll tell you that). If they CHOOSE to that then they are stupid, we will fall behind/won’t progress.

Its literally all there in black and white.

I haven’t been mislead. You just seem to think I have 🤷🏻‍♂️.
It is what it is Punts. I can't tell you how you feel, I can only tell you how I thought you came across

I thought this thread was for non-Wolves transfer talk?
If I knew what I was doing I’d merge all of the threads into one. Most aren’t happy that apparently we’re suddenly potless, nuno going has upset most and his replacement is dividing opinion too. Half are willing to give him the benefit of their considerable doubts whilst others think he’ll be a considerable downgrade and the recruitment process has been shite. At least the proposed coaching assistant has a good relationship with Fabio and will be able to give him 2 extra yards of pace, heading ability and a couple of stone to hold off defenders.
I’m off to the pets thread to moan about not seeing Nuno Espirito spaniel.

Villa in for JWP now apparently.

They're not messing about, i guess it means:

a) They're getting their business done early and before JG leaves and every other club put their prices up by 10-20%
or
b) They've promised him they will show some ambition and are doing so with some big money signings.

If it's b they are taking a big shit on FFP (and the idea that you can't sign anyone till August), not that we have to worry about FFP at the moment anyway, despite what Jeff says.

JWP in the same side as the most 'fouled' player in the league would be juicy. Don't particularly rate him away from set pieces though

JWP in the same side as the most 'fouled' player in the league would be juicy. Don't particularly rate him away from set pieces though
Yeah agreed, he's certainly not the fastest, but there is no doubt he'd be effective for them given JG's diving.. - if they keep him.

Why are Chelsea bidding £50m+ for Hakimi when they have Reece James?

But they paid that for Chilwell last year, and Emerson is fine as back up (or Azpilicueta can play there). It's bizarre.

Yeah I'd forgotten about Emerson.

They still have Alonso too, I think he's rubbish but Tuchel seems to like him!

Reece James is a bit one dimensional for me..mostly just running and physical attributes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back