• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Transfer Thread 2022/23- Everything not Wolves

Status
Not open for further replies.
They're all good players. However they're all very expensive in their own way and two of them will walk away for either a small fee or nothing. You can't keep running a club that way under the current rules, it catches up with you eventually. It's not about getting a fine or whatever (no-one has been fined in the PL as yet and probably never will be), it's what it does to your activity 2-3 years down the line when they're worthless assets and your books are all over the place.

How well did chucking £60m + wages on Ings and Bailey work out for them last season? They're not bad players, but there's no deep thinking behind it at all.
You’re not going to sign a full squad of players like that, obviously. But we’ve signed Joao Moutinho knowing we won’t make any profit on him (although the fee was stupidly low so who knows - we actually *could* make a profit on him!), but I wouldn’t give up his time at Wolves for a few million quid profit because the blokes a class act, improved us on the pitch and it’s been amazing seeing a player of that quality in a Wolves shirt. Sometimes you just have to sign those types of players.

Fair play to Villa. Their owners are backing Gerrard. Wish ours would take a leaf out of their book every so often, by mixing in a few signings like this alongside the current business model of young/high potential.

I don't get what being a Wolves fan has to do with it? They are signing players in their 30s for large fees and big salaries. It's only sustainable if they make the CL. I wouldn't touch Coutinho, by the end of the season he wasn't playing in most away games because he was a liability. Anyone see his 'performance' at Molineux?
Which player have they signed in their 30s?

Coutinho - 29
Carlos - 29
Kamara - 22

You’re not going to sign a full squad of players like that, obviously. But we’ve signed Joao Moutinho knowing we won’t make any profit on him (although the fee was stupidly low so who knows - we actually *could* make a profit on him!), but I wouldn’t give up his time at Wolves for a few million quid profit because the blokes a class act, improved us on the pitch and it’s been amazing seeing a player of that quality in a Wolves shirt. Sometimes you just have to sign those types of players.

Fair play to Villa. Their owners are backing Gerrard. Wish ours would take a leaf out of their book every so often, by mixing in a few signings like this alongside the current business model of young/high potential.
Indeed, that first year we signed Patricio, Moutinho and Raul (on loan initially) who were all in their late 20s or early 30s, it was the right way to go.

We've also mixed that up with the likes of Neto and Silva(!)

Sometimes expensive kids are far more of a gamble than expensive experienced players.

Digne is 29 too I think? It’s a very short term way of thinking and it will very likely not get them champions league anyway.

The kamara deal annoyed me until I saw how much they are supposedly paying him

Digne is 29 too I think? It’s a very short term way of thinking and it will very likely not get them champions league anyway.

The kamara deal annoyed me until I saw how much they are supposedly paying him
Yeah, and this is the crux of the issue. We either pay these wages/fees and accept it’s what we have to do to attract these kinds of players, or we don’t and walk away. We’ve done the latter for a few years now and look at the shape of the squad.

Our business model is all well and good, but Shi & co have had their pants pulled down several times doing business this way and have chosen to walk away from deals to save a few million quid here & there too. We can sit here and scoff at Villa and say it’s “not sustainable”, but nor is the way we’re doing business either.

If this is our model then we missed out on Eze, Olise, Bowen etc, they fit the bill but we don't seem to look.

What Villa are doing doesn't seem a very good idea to me at all, it's like they've got Dave Jones in charge. What we do (or don't do) is neither here nor there, you can criticise two things at the same time.

Brenden Aaronson (whose name seems to spelled incorrectly on about three counts) to Leeds. £29m from Salzburg. Looks a horrendous deal on the face of it, scored a whole four goals this season in the Austrian top flight which is a shocking standard.
4 goals in the Austrian Bundesliga is abysmal, even Hwang managed to get into double figures (twice). Leeds could be playing him and Dan James on the wings which will have costed >£50m.

Marsch did manage Hwang at Salzburg, imagine if they had offered that to us...

Yeah, and this is the crux of the issue. We either pay these wages/fees and accept it’s what we have to do to attract these kinds of players, or we don’t and walk away. We’ve done the latter for a few years now and look at the shape of the squad.
I disagree. I think we can be smarter than them.

If Diego Carlos was any good then an big club would have signed him. From when I’ve seen him he was just Tyrone Mings MAX. Quick, strong but incredibly rash.

Who in Villa’s team is actually worth any money and of interest to another club? Jacob Ramsey and that’s it. There’s a reason they finished 14th in a league where 80% of the teams weren’t that good.

That’s fine and I agree, but doesn’t mean Villa are the model to follow
I don’t think anyone is saying they are?

A mixture of experienced players + young/high potential would be the perfect blend.

If Diego Carlos was any good then an big club would have signed him. From when I’ve seen him he was just Tyrone Mings MAX. Quick, strong but incredibly rash.

Who in Villa’s team is actually worth any money and of interest to another club? Jacob Ramsey and that’s it. There’s a reason they finished 14th in a league where 80% of the teams weren’t that good.
I had a random look, over the last 13 games of the season they only had 3 more points than we did, and we were awful

If Diego Carlos was any good then an big club would have signed him.
I never really understand the logic of this argument, because if it was true, no good player would ever play for anyone other than the best.

For example, no one bought Neves from us last summer, does that mean he isn't any good?

I never really understand the logic of this argument, because if it was true, no good player would ever play for anyone other than the best.
You don’t get into the top 6 signing players not good enough for the top 6 for loads of money.

Sevilla will sell anyone if any hint of money comes along. If he was decent then he wouldn’t be going to Newcastle or Villa.
For example, no one bought Neves from us last summer, does that mean he isn't any good?
He’s not 29…

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back