• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Travel Thread

Tony Towner

Reaction score
I don't think I've ever wanted to put my fist through my monitor so badly.
Don't worry Alan he's not even one of yours, just an ex pat pensioner who has been dragged down a Facebook wormhole and believes it as fact.

Totally different topic, but I read today how many States (inc DC) the average American visits in their lifetime. Care to hazard a guess?

Don't worry Alan he's not even one of yours, just an ex pat pensioner who has been dragged down a Facebook wormhole and believes it as fact.

Totally different topic, but I read today how many States (inc DC) the average American visits in their lifetime. Care to hazard a guess?
Feels like it's gotta be stupid low (or stupid high).

Three?

Tbf if it weren't for football then there are vast areas of England I would never ever go to. I'm never going to go to Bradford or Southend for a laugh, am I.

Tbf if it weren't for football then there are vast areas of England I would never ever go to. I'm never going to go to Bradford or Southend for a laugh, am I.
No, but they have such a varied and different country it's a waste to not see it. I'm guessing the reasons are more economic than anything else. 65% have been to Florida

If it wasn't for my profession, there are hundreds of places I would never have consciously chosen to visit or work in.

Again I would say most people who live in Hamburg have never been to Munich (other than for football) and vice versa. The scale of journey is ridiculous in comparison to the UK, when my Dad first moved to Texas he went to San Francisco for a break. It's all on the same side of the country and all that. 4 hour flight.

Pad is 90 mins from Brisbane and that's "near". Wolverhampton is closer to Manchester and Liverpool.

You get the same here to an extent. States are big (mostly); hell, you can easily get a person to say "I'll go to LA" but you probably aren't getting them to say "I'll go to Compton". Which is in LA.

Depends where you live. If you are in somewhere like Conneticut there will be about another 6 within a a 3 hour drive
Drive through Rhode Island take about 45 minutes from West border to East border.

Given relative sizes would that equate to a UK resident visiting about 8 European countries? I’m quite surprised it’s a third of states.

Yeah, I'm trying to think now

UK by default
France
Germany
Spain
Netherlands
Italy
Greece
Czechia
Denmark

Travelled through Belgium but only stopped at a services, I'm not counting that

No Ireland which I should have but haven't

So I only have 9 and I think I'm reasonably well travelled including living and working abroad, and none of France, Spain or Netherlands are since I turned 18

Yeah, I'm trying to think now

UK by default
France
Germany
Spain
Netherlands
Italy
Greece
Czechia
Denmark

Travelled through Belgium but only stopped at a services, I'm not counting that

No Ireland which I should have but haven't

So I only have 9 and I think I'm reasonably well travelled including living and working abroad, and none of France, Spain or Netherlands are since I turned 18
Italy
Spain
Portugal
Germany
Finland
Ireland
Cyprus
Greece
Turkey
Malta
UK

11, more than I initially thought.

Just had a quick Google. Texas is bigger than Sweden and nearly twice the size of Norway and Finland. Long way to go to visit 8 States from the centre of the Lone Star State!

I'd never been out of the UK till I was 35 so playing catchup,
Ireland,
France,
Germany,
Belgium,
Luxembourg,
Spain,
Portugal (Madeira)
Czechia,
Russia,
Norway,
Austria,
Switzerland,
Italy

Netherlands, Portugal mainland and a few of the Balkan countries are on our radar over the next few years

I have Tunisia and Egypt outside of Europe too, and I have to go to the USA one day for family reasons but it's not one I'm mad keen on doing.

Germans tend to like a Baltic coast holiday (better than it sounds!) or Mallorca, not much else.

What part of the states, Dan? If I may.

Back